Welcome to the Bulldogs Arthur Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

It was only a glimpse, but there was a moment in the GWS game that stood out to me. It was sliippery, players were fumbling, and Jones ran up and picked up the ball like it was completely dry, rifled a handball out to someone. Should've had up ended a goal but another player near goal couldn't handle the greasy ball. Could have found a very special player I am very excited watching his career develop.

I’m still confused how he’s so clean picking the ball up at AFL level when he would fumble and overrun it 8 times out of 10 in the VFL but it’s a great outcome.

It was only a glimpse, but there was a moment in the GWS game that stood out to me. It was sliippery, players were fumbling, and Jones ran up and picked up the ball like it was completely dry, rifled a handball out to someone. Should've had up ended a goal but another player near goal couldn't handle the greasy ball. Could have found a very special player I am very excited watching his career develop.
The best bit about that is he was quite fumbly at times last year in the VFL so he's showing a rate of improvement which is promising

I'm
Think he will be primary forward and be more like Betts
He covered a lot of ground on the weekend getting back to help out defence well on a few occasions. One of the real highlights for me was the pressure he applied to the Carlton midfielders charging off the half forward line at center bounces. Reminded me a bit if the way Cyril Rioli used to hunt down the opposition.
I like him in the high half forward role where he can find a bit more space to run, he was primarily a winger as a junior. I'm not sure he has the finishing skills to be an elite small forward but he has kicked some nice goals in the last couple of weeks so perhaps it's a skill he can keep developing

His last quarter was so good. That goal was a ripper. Unreal for a 19 year old kid.

He’s already proving a valuable member of the team without being on the Shai Bolton or Tom Papley level. He may never be that good, but if he can keep his eye on the defensive work, become a goal a week proposition, step up like that on big occasions and give us the flexibility to move Cody away from goal at times, that would be fantastic.

Hopefully Charlie Clarke will be ready to join Cody & Arty in 12 months and complete a very dangerous forward 5/6.

I'm

He covered a lot of ground on the weekend getting back to help out defence well on a few occasions. One of the real highlights for me was the pressure he applied to the Carlton midfielders charging off the half forward line at center bounces. Reminded me a bit if the way Cyril Rioli used to hunt down the opposition.
I like him in the high half forward role where he can find a bit more space to run, he was primarily a winger as a junior. I'm not sure he has the finishing skills to be an elite small forward but he has kicked some nice goals in the last couple of weeks so perhaps it's a skill he can keep developing
For all the mentions of Papley/Bolton/Betts, Cyril is the best comparison in terms of playing style for me. I don't think he's ever going to be a consistent 40+ goal a year forward. That's not a criticism - I just don't think his game style really revolves around being a goal kicker. His point of difference is his relentless pressure, mix of speed and endurance, and the fact that he can cut you open with less than 10 disposals.

Sky is the limit for me too given his incredible developmental trajectory, so could surprise. Right now, though, I see more similarities to those traditionally low stat, high impact smalls than I do to the big goal kicking threats.

For all the mentions of Papley/Bolton/Betts, Cyril is the best comparison in terms of playing style for me. I don't think he's ever going to be a consistent 40+ goal a year forward. That's not a criticism - I just don't think his game style really revolves around being a goal kicker. His point of difference is his relentless pressure, mix of speed and endurance, and the fact that he can cut you open with less than 10 disposals.

Sky is the limit for me too given his incredible developmental trajectory, so could surprise. Right now, though, I see more similarities to those traditionally low stat, high impact smalls than I do to the big goal kicking threats.
Yeah I'm seeing the Cyril in him too. A different build but the skills, vision and closing speed when pressuring or tackling. Plus just a dash of Eddie which just fine too.

Cyril was ridiculous and would have one of the best highlight reels in the game... I don't see it 😅

There’s that much stretching going on in here, I’m not sure if this is big footy or aerobics oz-style

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cyril was ridiculous and would have one of the best highlight reels in the game... I don't see it 😅
I don’t think anyone’s saying he is or is going to be on that level, but I agree that Cyril is closer in style to him than a lot of the goalkicking smalls like Betts, Charlie Cameron etc who kick bulk goals.

Cyril only kicked 30+ 3 times with a top score of 47, majority of his season tallies were between 20-30. I think Jones will be similar. I think that’s where the comparisons come from, the playing style is similar - obviously Cyril was a freak and we don’t know AJs ceiling yet

Happy for him to keep going unnoticed by the wider game.

I doubt he will go unnoticed by opposition coaches though. They're going to start planning for him soon enough if he continues like this

Play style, not level / attributes. Very different. Currently Arty is not and may never be at Cyril's level. The point was, though, that the way they play makes them both low-volume, high-impact players who provide more to the team through pressure and goal assist than they do through accumulation or goal kicking.

Ever since I saw Charlie Stewart in the early 60’s, I have loved watching indigenous players and wondered why we haven’t fast tracked additions to our lists from this group. Last night searched and watched some of the krakeour bros magic, they so fast and skillful. Arty has the family genes and at such a young age he really does promise to be a great addition to fill a need we have been lacking for years.

Ever since I saw Charlie Stewart in the early 60’s, I have loved watching indigenous players and wondered why we haven’t fast tracked additions to our lists from this group. Last night searched and watched some of the krakeour bros magic, they so fast and skillful. Arty has the family genes and at such a young age he really does promise to be a great addition to fill a need we have been lacking for years.
I'm with you, '61.

Even though I was just a kid, I was ripped when Charlie didn't come back after the GF. Reckon he could've been a real star, had a bit of magic about him.
Had his number on my back 'n'all...:(

I'm with you, '61.

Even though I was just a kid, I was ripped when Charlie didn't come back after the GF. Reckon he could've been a real star, had a bit of magic about him.
Had his number on my back 'n'all...:(

John Schultz talking about Charlie Stewart:

Very interesting that you bring up the Krakouer bros. Arty's goal on the run was straight out of their goal kicking manual. I mentioned it as soon as I saw it. He pointed the ball directly at the centre of the goal posts and hit it sweetly. We'll see plenty more of that in the upcoming years.
This kid is going to be a great player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back