Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:
Port's draft hand for the next two years:
  • 2023: Pick 112, Pick 130
  • 2024: Second rounder, third rounder.
Feels like pretty irresponsible list management, as they're not exactly a powerhouse. Hinkley, Koch and co are going to run that club into the ground.

Won’t be great if Petty nominates them in 2024

Won’t be great if Petty nominates them in 2024
Then we'd just keep him for another year, as the FA compo would be better.

Depends on how desperate he is to not be a 50-minute flight away from home.

Port's draft hand for the next two years:
  • 2023: Pick 112, Pick 130
  • 2024: Second rounder, third rounder.
Feels like pretty irresponsible list management, as they're not exactly a powerhouse. Hinkley, Koch and co are going to run that club into the ground.

Just wondering if they can find a taker for that pick 130 ala the Rhys Palmer trade from GWS to Carlton :D

What are everyone’s thoughts on Jack Billings?

Pros:
  • can kick a ball
  • mows own lawns
  • can play multiple positions but gives us a bit of a different look forward of centre and through the middle
  • likely wouldn’t cost much in terms of picks

Cons:
  • is made of glass
  • is possibly the sort of magic beans that Essendon chase
  • unsure if he’s on big coin
Another 🪶 in the 🧢 of the Consistently Correct Clique.

I like the Billings pick up, decent player when he gets on the park, problem is he doesn’t often enough.

Worth the punt

I give our trade period a grading of C+.
Take aways:
  • didn't address the key forward issue.
  • Threw away picks 27 and 35 just to move up 3 spots from 14 to 11.
  • Brought in Jack Billings who is everything we don't need. Slow, soft and poor in front of goal.
  • McAdam was a good get but still overpaid for him. Should've been a future 3 or pick 41.
  • James Jordon compo was good. And the picks we got for Grundy was ok.
  • Best player of the trade period went to our rival in Collingwood (Schultz) and we made no play for Chol or Koschitzke who went for pick 49.
  • Picked up Fullarton who is a scrub (who we also overpaid for) when we could've gone for a better, bigger player like Jordan Sweet.

Last edited:
I really like our strategy this trade period.

Throw away half decent picks for nothing
Trade away depth
Keep player with a lisfranc injury who doesn't want to be here
Make our captains home a drug rehabilitation centre
Bring in a ruckman that no one has heard of and can't spell correctly
Trade in 2 veterans who have skill but can't stay on the park, and again no one can spell their names correctly
Hold pick #6 which will likely just miss the top end talent we need
Maysie telling the premiers we should have smoked them

It's either an A+ or an F. Could go either way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take aways:
  • Brought in Jack Billings who is everything we don't need. Slow, soft and poor in front of goal.
  • McAdam was a good get but still overpaid for him. Should've been a future 3 or pick 41.
  • Best player of the trade period went to our rival in Collingwood (Schultz) and we made no player for Chol or Koschitzke who went for pick 49.
Based off your descriptions, I'd hate to see what an 'F' looks like for you.

I give our trade period a B-

Did nothing wrong. Did nothing greatly inspiring. With what's going on with Oliver right now I think that was the best course of action. Open up some cap space and create some flexibility moving forward

I give our trade period a B-

Did nothing wrong. Did nothing greatly inspiring. With what's going on with Oliver right now I think that was the best course of action. Open up some cap space and create some flexibility moving forward
Similar thoughts, though Billings pushes it up to a B (nearly B+) for me, purely based on what he could add vs what he cost.

Reckon McAdam is an underrated pickup, too. Had we added a Chol type, I would've been more than happy.

Importantly though, we're in a good place to invest in the draft, which was my primary concern – just need to make those two picks winners.

Quite clear it is our shittest trade period for a decade.

Traded out fringe players to bring in fringe players

Pissed off all our mid-round picks to move up from 11 to 14

Thank god we are the “break glass in case of emergency” club for Paul Connor’s who seems to throw leftovers our way on the last day of trade periods.

Take aways:
  • Best player of the trade period went to our rival in Collingwood (Schultz) and we made no play for Chol or Koschitzke who went for pick 49.
  • Picked up Fullarton who is a scrub (who we also overpaid for) when we could've gone for a better, bigger player like Jordan Sweet.

Chol is lazy (why do you think Richmond and GC got rid of him) and Koschitzke is no better than a fit Ben Brown.
McAdam is the perfect replacement for Melksham
Trust the club, we have drafted well in the past and will draft well again.
Billings has ball skills, anything is possible.
Give Fullarton a chance

I agree with Schulz but otherrwise its a B for me.

Similar thoughts, though Billings pushes it up to a B (nearly B+) for me, purely based on what he could add vs what he cost.

Reckon McAdam is an underrated pickup, too. Had we added a Chol type, I would've been more than happy.

Importantly though, we're in a good place to invest in the draft, which was my primary concern – just need to make those two picks winners.

Yeah, I just cant get excited about Billings try as I may, hes fine but will need to see how he fits in our side first.

McAdam is good, I think hes underrated by a lot of people, what I worry about is what ive been crapping on about for over a year now, ball movement and F50 entries, he plays well in an open forward line that gives him space to operate in. Something we have failed to give our forwards.

Pretty much both of these moves are dependant on our style of play changing from "the Melbourne way" and into something that has a bit of dare, willing to give up some goals to kick some more. Bringing in these type of players is good if it changes, they will do jack shit if we continue playing the same way we have the past two seasons.

Here is hoping the message has finally got thru to coach thicky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back