Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's the problem with that analysis - you are looking at the broken promise on the stage 3 tax cuts in isolation.

It would be one thing if it was the only misstep. But it's far from that and the voters know it. I present the following for your assessment:

1. During the election campaign, Labor said:

ndarzK6pxf2IZ190.jpg

2. "We will lower your power bill by $275" - a promise made on almost 100 occasions, bills have subsequently increased by 20%.

3. Spending close to half a billion dollars on a badly failed Voice campaign, whilst completely ignoring the concerns of working families related to cost of living issues.

4. "We've said we are making no changes to superannuation" - yeah right....:rolleyes:

5. "The tax cuts have been legislated, we intend to honour that bi-partisan commitment". Oh boy! And with bracket creep these cuts will affect people earning over $150,000 P/A - hardly a kings ransom in today's climate.

The average voter has now read the Airbus Albo credibility report and says to themselves "This guy is incompetent, dishonest and cannot walk and chew gum at the same time".

The bottom line is that these self-inflicted wounds are cumulative and it means that Albo is leaking credibility on a weekly basis. The sample size of panic moves, gaffes and lies cannot be ignored.

One term government.
Albo was the beneficiary of a situation that can best be described as "anyone will be better than Morrison". Reminds me of what Bill Hayden said in the 1983 election campaign, "a drover's dog could lead the Labor Party to victory, the way the country is".

But apart from a promising honeymoon period Albo has proved to be a great disappointment and out of his league. Reactive instead of proactive.

And the one time he was proactive with the Referendum, look what happened. As soon as it became clear the Referendum was doomed, he lost complete interest in the subject and has remained silent on it since.

The back flip on the Stage 3 tax cuts is just another example of a leader who is being reactive and dictated to by others within the ALP.

Now this is a melt.
sure is

I killed myself to get to the top of my profession and earn more than 99% of the population, but my wife is terminally ill and can’t work - which thanks to this country’s busted tax laws leaves us worse off than a couple on the average wage (and getting worse every year due to being more exposed to bracket creep)

This country is such a s**t deal for high wage earners, we pay Nordic-level taxes and get far-from-Nordic public services in return

The stage 3 relief was well, well overdue given bracket creep, absolutely gutless for the government to renege on it

Last edited:
The back flip on the Stage 3 tax cuts is just another example of a leader who is being reactive and dictated to by others within the ALP.

Probably true but it's also the first thing he's gotten right

Libs/Murdoch in absolute panic mode, no way out of this one

Second term guaranteed

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Handling promise breaches is a rite of passage for pollies. They are inevitable. The issue is how they are handled and how they can become minor issues.

Fortunately for Ally, there is very little oppo.

Handling promise breaches is a rite of passage for pollies. They are inevitable. The issue is how they are handled and how they can become minor issues.

Fortunately for Ally, there is very little oppo.

Yeah, what a s**t promise to break. One that makes 87% of people better off.

Albo's a monster. Grab the pitchforks.

Misinformation?

ndarzK6pxf2IZ190.jpg

The f*** are you smoking?

Please, every politician makes claims like that.

Do you think Dutton, Bandt etc make statements that they won't do anything about the cost of living? It's the big ticket item around town for the past year and will be until the election.

Edit - interpreting your statement more closely, shifting around the stage 3 cuts to lower and middle income earners directly addresses cost of living issues as it ensures more ends up in the pockets of taxpayers more likely to be adversely affected by cost of living pressures. So he's keeping that promise. Good for Albo, long live Albo.

$180k isn't what it was, your doing well but doesn't mean holiday houses, private school and business class to Europe every year like some here seem to think.

You’re right in a sense that $180k now isn’t what it was like 15 years ago. But the point being that with smart choices, good public schools, reasonable house and cheaper local holiday a comfortable life can be had on $180k. But most Australians are not on $180k. Median full time individual wage is $90k and median household wage $120k.

So if you think someone on $180k isn’t doing well then imagine how a household on $120k is doing, and then think that half of households are worse off than that.

That's a pretty one eyed narrow take. Albo has actually been pretty cunning with this. He's completely wedged the LNP. Sky, LNP and the rest can harp on about broken promises but once the $$ starts rolling in per month for a very large portion of the working force no one is really going to care. Furthermore, the LNP now have nothing to counter with other than keep the re-jigged stage 3 tax cuts and then introduce the intended cuts for incomes over $180k. If the LNP state they will roll back the whole stage 3 cuts then they will alienate a s**t load of voters.

Make no mistake, he's been planning this for a while and yes they definitely bullshitted as late as Dec last year when they reiterated that there would be no changes but politics is politics, non core promises and all that.

The whole income tax framework needs to be overhauled. $180k isn't what it was, your doing well but doesn't mean holiday houses, private school and business class to Europe every year like some here seem to think. The reliance for government (any Oz government) on income tax is a joke when there is huge wealth transfer, among the 1%'s, massive multi national corporations paying bugger all, hesitancy in looking at consumption taxed etc which are all too hard to tackle for any government are ones that stand out.

What dollars? The extra $20 bucks per week which means what exactly? With the expense of everything it’s not going to cover much at all. … .. certainly not rent increases.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What dollars? The extra $20 bucks per week which means what exactly? With the expense of everything it’s not going to cover much at all. … .. certainly not rent increases.

The coalition at this present moment support a tax structure that ensures the lowest paid get $0 a week in tax relief.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sky News host Peta Credlin explains the “two massive problems” for Labor following the confirmation the government is set to break its pledge to keep the stage three tax cuts as legislated.

"First, there's the broken promise – and governments shouldn't make promises they never intended to keep, especially when they're also pledging to restore integrity in government; so this broken promise looks like hypocrisy, as well as a breach of faith.

"Second, there's the roll-back of one of the few genuine economic reforms of the past decade, the Morrison government's change to a flatter tax system, one that incentivises people who want to work hard and get ahead."

Ms Credlin said, further, the government could – with its surprise surplus – have made the tax cuts for lower-income earners bigger without breaking its promise to those on higher incomes.

“But because they're doing it anyway, this looks like a measure of class war envy – so much for another one of the PM's pre-election commitments that he said he'd matured on from his days when he was an ‘I hate Tories’ undergraduate lefty.

“As well, most of the losers from this change will be in the Teal seats, who now have a reason to feel ripped off by the Albanese government."

She is absolutely smack bang on the money.

It's like the Voice debacle revisited - Airbus Albo's inability to read the room on these issues is staggering.

One term government.
I think Albo actually read the room and Dutton hasn't (same as his stupid support for the Pharmacists, demanding wr send a ship to the red sea after the defence woefully under equipped and understaffed, spending so much time on the voice instead of presenting ways to deal with cost of living etc)

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought the point of Dutton’s strategy was to abandon the Teals and aim for the middle class suburban marginals?

Taking the income figures from Bennelong, which I would assume to be typical of those suburban marginals - median personal income is $50k and median household income is $109k. How are they going to feel ‘ripped off’ by this decision?
I thought that was his strategy too but it is becoming more apparent we were being kind and he doesn't actually have a strategy

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

sure is

I killed myself to get to the top of my profession and earn more than 99% of the population, but my wife is terminally ill and can’t work - which thanks to this country’s busted tax laws leaves us worse off than a couple on the average wage (and getting worse every year due to being more exposed to bracket creep)

This country is such a s**t deal for high wage earners, we pay Nordic-level taxes and get far-from-Nordic public services in return

The stage 3 relief was well, well overdue given bracket creep, absolutely gutless for the government to renege on it

The top 1% income in Australia is over $350,000 per year.

You’re right in a sense that $180k now isn’t what it was like 15 years ago. But the point being that with smart choices, good public schools, reasonable house and cheaper local holiday a comfortable life can be had on $180k. But most Australians are not on $180k. Median full time individual wage is $90k and median household wage $120k.

So if you think someone on $180k isn’t doing well then imagine how a household on $120k is doing, and then think that half of households are worse off than that.

Yeah agreed an income of $180k plus means you should be doing well unless you have made some seriously bad financial decisions Perception is everything though, whilst only a few, there are some here that think that salary affords extreme luxury, it doesn't. Just to add, at least in Vic, a good public school carries a good reputation which then leads to vastly increased housing prices both ownership and rental due to zoning which then prices out middle to lower income families.

It's $20 a week more than the selfish, greedy oxygen thieves on the other side of the aisle would cough up.

I am sure you would have been (unironically) silent had the tax cuts gone through as constructed by the LNP. But Albo wants to give low income earners a little bit more and you're bitching.

Hilarious.

Last edited:
It's $20 a week more than the selfish, greedy oxygen thieves on the other side of the aisle would cough up.

I am sure you would have been (unironically) silent had the tax cuts gone through as constructed by the LNP. But Albo wants to go low income earners a little bit more and you're bitching.

Hilarious.
It's typical human nature, isn't it. Do nothing, get no complaints. Do something, get complaints that you're not doing enough.

Here's the problem with that analysis - you are looking at the broken promise on the stage 3 tax cuts in isolation.

It would be one thing if it was the only misstep. But it's far from that and the voters know it. I present the following for your assessment:

1. During the election campaign, Labor said:

ndarzK6pxf2IZ190.jpg

2. "We will lower your power bill by $275" - a promise made on almost 100 occasions, bills have subsequently increased by 20%.

3. Spending close to half a billion dollars on a badly failed Voice campaign, whilst completely ignoring the concerns of working families related to cost of living issues.

4. "We've said we are making no changes to superannuation" - yeah right....:rolleyes:

5. "The tax cuts have been legislated, we intend to honour that bi-partisan commitment". Oh boy! And with bracket creep these cuts will affect people earning over $150,000 P/A - hardly a kings ransom in today's climate.

The average voter has now read the Airbus Albo credibility report and says to themselves "This guy is incompetent, dishonest and cannot walk and chew gum at the same time".

The bottom line is that these self-inflicted wounds are cumulative and it means that Albo is leaking credibility on a weekly basis. The sample size of panic moves, gaffes and lies cannot be ignored.

One term government.
No need for a nickname on here Mr Dutton... We're happy to have you ;)

Sky News host Peta Credlin explains the “two massive problems” for Labor following the confirmation the government is set to break its pledge to keep the stage three tax cuts as legislated.

"First, there's the broken promise – and governments shouldn't make promises they never intended to keep, especially when they're also pledging to restore integrity in government; so this broken promise looks like hypocrisy, as well as a breach of faith.

"Second, there's the roll-back of one of the few genuine economic reforms of the past decade, the Morrison government's change to a flatter tax system, one that incentivises people who want to work hard and get ahead."

Ms Credlin said, further, the government could – with its surprise surplus – have made the tax cuts for lower-income earners bigger without breaking its promise to those on higher incomes.

“But because they're doing it anyway, this looks like a measure of class war envy – so much for another one of the PM's pre-election commitments that he said he'd matured on from his days when he was an ‘I hate Tories’ undergraduate lefty.

“As well, most of the losers from this change will be in the Teal seats, who now have a reason to feel ripped off by the Albanese government."

She is absolutely smack bang on the money.

It's like the Voice debacle revisited - Airbus Albo's inability to read the room on these issues is staggering.

One term government.

Far be it from me to question an "objective" "journalist" such as Credlin, but there are two massive problems with her "two massive problems".

1. It would have to be proven that Labor never intended to keep their promise. Given the change in economic circumstances and cost of living pressures felt most by lower/middle earners, which the LNP and media mates could at least pretend to care about here*, this is an uncharitable, unproven assumption.

* Because we know exactly what would happen if the full cuts were kept, with additional tax relief at the lower end, we'd find a renewed passion from conservatives about deficits and debt, with which to bludgeon Labor.

2. You'd also have to prove that there's now a disincentive for taxpayers to work hard and get ahead, given this doesn't appear to be an issue with progressive tax systems, even ones which have ramped up the rates higher as you earn more. People will earn more if they can.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back