Autopsy Match sim versus Pies. This Wednesday, 10am. AIA.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not watching the game so I'm only going off what's being said in here but just bear in mind that we're playing the reigning Premiers (albeit with a few best 22 missing) they are a well-drilled team with a very effective game plan.

Regardless of how much we've improved over the preseason coming up against the Pies in our first practice match was always going to be a challenge, let's wait to see how stack up against West Coast, Hawks, Gold Coast, Freo, Richmond this will give us a better read on where we are at.

Still a few years before we'll be able to match it with the reigning Premiers.

The truth is, no one actually WANTS to be doom and gloom. What I’m seeing right now isn’t constituting anything near getting out of the bottom 2.
We're six points behind the defending premiers and it looks like we are going against the breeze, and you can't find anything positive? WOW!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few quick first quarter thoughts/summary;
  • Our midfield/wingers are good and there were multiple exciting passages of play where we moved the ball quickly and cleanly from defensive 50 to forward 50
  • Unfortunately, once the ball got into our forward 50 things typically went sour. Our forward structure looks very poor, and we badly lack any sort of small/medium forward who can crumb a pack and apply forward pressure
  • Our defensive back six look very inexperienced, and we badly need a genuine small/medium defender
  • Our disposal really let us down at times
  • It's a practice match/sim, so don't put too much stock into being concerned about this, but consistency/effort seemed to be the most glaring and fixable problem. For example, in one passage of play a guy like LDU will do something amazing, but in the next contest it looks like he's jogging and not putting in the effort. There were too many instances of that.
  • New guys Fisher and Stephens can run all day, it looks like.
  • Wardlaw, Sheezel, McKercher are such a promising future.
  • Zurhaar looks to be in good form. Jaidyn Stephenson too. Both will be solidly best 22 for us while they stay healthy. HOWEVER both these players had marks inside the forward 50 and both opted for around-the-body snaps instead of just going back and kicking the drop punt as their set shot. Was frustrating lol.
  • Xerri looked... okay. Not good. Not bad. Just okay.
  • Jy Simpkin appeared to be playing as a half-forward which I like.
  • In defense, Toby Pink and Biggie Nyuon I think could be good once they get more games under their belt. They both have the size and athleticism to compete nicely against big forwards. They just need confidence in a strong structure.
  • Tom Powell is looking great.
  • Lazzaro got an extended run through the midfield. Looked okay in patches, but his disposal lets him down.
Overall this probably sounds more negative than it probably should. We definitely didn't look terrible or anything. I think what makes it more frustrating is that we would have a chain of 6 or 7 disposals of genuinely exciting footy, only for the final disposal to be dog s**t and the ball gets turned over.

And a quarter were into the wind, shown really good signs, and only a foal or two down against the best team around

This place is so ******* toxic

Calm down.

Nobody is losing their s**t.

We are allowed to make comment on the game style, which is the first viewing after 3 months of training at it.

I don't think the issue has been personal at the moment.

More system and effort.

There's some definite concerns around how we are setting up and defending Collingwoods transition. They have just walked the field at times.

So I'm watching CZ line up for goal and miss but until this point all things considered we've done okay.

We're playing the reigning premiers with some of their best players and we're a goal down after Sleevos effort.

Two goals now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back