Autopsy Match sim versus Pies. This Wednesday, 10am. AIA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming Corr comes in for Biggie you'd have to wonder who L McDonald is knocking out of the defensive unit.

The obvious pick is Goater but i'd much prefer to give Goater an extended run as his athleticism is really exciting and gives our defence more options as he can play tall/small.

Sheez, Fisher, Colby are all locks.

My next four would be Dawson, Corr, Goater and Pink/Chom.

Typically I'd agree with that first sentence, but I actually think in this case it's super valuable. It's validation for the youngest team in the league that what we're doing is working especially after the disastrous last 4 years

I absolutely didn't want to discount the power of a win but for me the consistency for a whole game is what we'll focus on. In particular, being able to stream out of defence and knowing we have the capability to hit a contest or our own forward. I think we have a sensational ability to play the corridor and seeing it all not rebounding back because it ended on the chest of an opposition defender was very uplifting. It was actually a joy to see the type of play we put to GC last round wasn't flash in the pan.

North had no premiership plays playing ! 😂
Shiels played.

Liam Shiels was our only one out there.
Ninja Spy GIF by Walk Off The Earth

I thought he was excellent given I had no idea if what he would be like. I was pleasantly surprised.
Looking at his highlights, his harassment and ability for repeat pressure looked good at the Blews. And his run of course, ol nn was calling for a fast paced outfit 15 years ago. Seems we finally have it.

Yay, as we say

The best 22 talk is crazy.
It’s almost impossible to pick right now and even after the saints game - it’ll be Clarkos call and I’m all for an open policy this year.

I believe that the battle for the forward ruck position is between Greenwood and CCJ. Did CCJ do enough today to show that he could hold that position down?
Did Bergman do enough to be ahead of Mcdonald in the pecking order?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was able to watch the 1st half.

Skills weren't great to start off but slowly got better. Decision making re hand balling to a stationary player or player running past could have been better. ie Xerri has the ball from a free kick in the middle...he handballs it to player moving by him...player quickly gives it back to him and then has to quickly kick the ball on his non preferred side.

Hopefully these things can be ironed out.

But the quick ball movement was good to see. Usual suspects in Sheezel, LDU, Larkey very good. The coaches must be so tempted to have Sheezel up forward but the suspect the mid/back role is a good sweet spot.

One more against St Kilda and then we'll see how we stack up in Round 1.

Was able to watch the 1st half.

Skills weren't great to start off but slowly got better. Decision making re hand balling to a stationary player or player running past could have been better. ie Xerri has the ball from a free kick in the middle...he handballs it to player moving by him...player quickly gives it back to him and then has to quickly kick the ball on his non preferred side.

Hopefully these things can be ironed out.

But the quick ball movement was good to see. Usual suspects in Sheezel, LDU, Larkey very good. The coaches must be so tempted to have Sheezel up forward but the suspect the mid/back role is a good sweet spot.

One more against St Kilda and then we'll see how we stack up in Round 1.

Those type of incidents are going to happen a lot(especially early) as our gameplan seems to be move the ball and at speed to give Larkey, Zurhaar and Curtis a chance one out.

It was great to watch today and hopefully it's a brand we stick with going forward.

NORTH Melbourne produced its second ever Rising Star winner last year and showcased another leading contender for the 2024 prize after Colby McKercher flaunted his class in Wednesday morning's match simulation win over Collingwood.

The 2023 No.2 pick starred at half-back for the Kangaroos, amassing plenty of disposals playing alongside reigning Ron Evans Medallist Harry Sheezel and off-season signing Zac Fisher, collecting plenty of disposals and providing drive in a 15.12 (102) to 10.8 (68) victory at the AIA Centre.

FULL SCHEDULE Every club's pre-season games
WHAT TO WATCH FOR Every club's pre-season talking points

The Kangaroos haven't won more than four games in a season since 2019 and haven't finished above 17th spot in that time, but Alastair Clarkson's men showed clear signs of growth across four 25-minute quarters in searing heat.

While Zane Duursma didn't feature due to a minor knee injury, North Melbourne's other Rising Star contender – 2022 pick No.4 George Wardlaw – only played the first half as planned before completing a running block with Fisher, who was on managed minutes after dealing with multiple pre-season hamstring setbacks.

After booting 71 goals last year to earn his maiden All-Australian blazer, Nick Larkey feasted on quality supply in the searing February heat, booting three goals by half-time and finishing with five goals in an early reminder of his standing as one of the competition's premier key forwards.

Nick Larkey celebrates a goal during a match simulation hitout between Collingwood and North Melbourne at AIA Centre on February 21, 2024. Picture: Getty Images/AFL Photos
Former top-five pick Dylan Stephens made an instant impact on the wing and looks set to make the most of a fresh start at Arden Street after moving from Sydney during last October's trade period.

With Griffin Logue ruled out for most of 2024 and Aidan Corr battling injury over the summer, the Kangaroos took a decent look at new key defenders Toby Pink and Bigoa Nyuon at Olympic Park. Kallan Dawson also featured and is another option down back.

Only 12 of the 23 who played in Collingwood's Grand Final win over Brisbane last September featured on Wednesday, with most players on managed minutes. Veterans Scott Pendlebury, Steele Sidebottom, Jeremy Howe and Brody Mihocek all didn't play, but are expected to feature against Richmond next week.

Craig McRae has spent the summer looking at options to replace Dan McStay inside 50 this year after the key forward ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament at the start of December. Reef McInnes kicked a couple of first-quarter goals and had some decent moments, but Ash Johnson was the pick of the forwards fighting for that spot, hitting the scoreboard with a couple of goals and a handful of strong grabs.

Ash Johnson marks the ball during a match simulation hitout between Collingwood and North Melbourne at AIA Centre on February 21, 2024. Picture: Getty Images/AFL Photos
Jordan De Goey and Isaac Quaynor were dominant across the first half before sitting out the second half, alongside Josh Daicos who put a frustrating start to the year behind him by showing no signs of the calf concern that has limited his training load in 2024.

Patrick Lipinski also banked a strong block before half-time, kicking two goals to continue his strong pre-season form after his 2023 campaign was impacted by two shoulder reconstructions.

More to come

00:54
Just now
Small Pie gets up high in surprising hanger
John Noble provides a rare highlight with this smooth speccy during match simulation

COLLINGWOOD

1. Patrick Lipinski, 2. Jordan De Goey, 3. Isaac Quaynor, 7. Josh Daicos, 8. Lachie Schultz, 9. John Noble, 12. Josh Carmichael, 14. Darcy Cameron, 15. Nathan Kreuger, 16. Ed Allan, 17. Billy Frampton, 18. Finlay Macrae, 19. Tew Jiath, 23. Bobby Hill, 24. Jakob Ryan, 26. Reef McInnes, 27. Jack Bytel, 29. Joe Richards, 31. Beau McCreery, 32. Will Hoskin-Elliott, 33. Lachie Sullivan, 35. Nick Daicos, 36. Harvey Harrison, 37. Oleg Markov, 40. Ash Johnson, 43. Charlie Dean, 44. Oscar Steene, 46. Mason Cox

Notable absentees: Scott Pendlebury, Steele Sidebottom, Jeremy Howe, Jack Crisp, Tom Mitchell, Brayden Maynard, Jamie Elliott, Dan McStay, Darcy Moore, Brody Mihocek, Nathan Murphy

NORTH MELBOURNE

2. Jaidyn Stephenson, 3. Harry Sheezel, 6. George Wardlaw, 9. Luke Davies-Uniacke, 10. Colby McKercher, 12. Jy Simpkin, 14. Liam Shiels, 15. Dylan Stephens, 16. Zac Fisher, 17. Riley Hardeman, 20. Nick Larkey, 21. Callum Coleman-Jones, 24. Tom Powell, 25. Paul Curtis, 27. Miller Bergman, 28. Bigoa Nyuon, 29. Will Phillips, 31. Josh Goater, 32. Toby Pink, 35. Charlie Lazzaro, 37. Cooper Harvey, 38. Tristan Xerri, 41. Blake Drury, 42. Kallan Dawson, 44. Cam Zurhaar, 46. Robert Hansen jnr

Notable absentees: Luke McDonald, Aidan Corr, Darcy Tucker, Hugh Greenwood, Griffin Logue, Bailey Scott, Tarryn Thomas, Curtis Taylor, Charlie Comben, Zane Duursma
What the * is a Ron Evans Medallist ?

What was also clear is how well the Pies know each other, even the next batch. We have had different coaches, game plans and a healthy turnover of players. This year should be about getting continuity into the various areas of the ground and we should see less panic ball and missed disposals.
For the first time in ages it was really clear that the team were playing to a plan. They held their structure (mostly) and the running players moved to create a flow out of defence. At times, especially early this appeared to catch the forwards unaware but when they woke up it created panic amongst the Collingwood defence (admittedly missing some of their best).

Forwards were pretty good with their shots too - a couple went begging but the ones that should have scored at least did.

The best part for me however, was the abandonment of the default kick up the line to a pack on the wing. The players didn't seem to try the robotic 45 degree through the centre that Nobles tried to introduce - instead the responsibility seemed to be on the upfield players to create options and for backup to be on hand in case it was needed, which also created overlap opportunity that we have sorely missed in recent years.

Of course, having LDU, Sheez, Warpig, Colby, Laz, Jy, Hardi, the Steevos, Will, Powell and even Biggie and RHJr all creating movement and space makes a difference.

Even last year a lot of players would crowd in and often the best outcome was a ball up. There was less of that today.

Sure, it's one game. There will be ups and downs as the year plays out but at least to my eyes, the team looks like they are preparing to play to win games rather than to minimise massive losses. I think that is progress.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back