Autopsy Tale of two halves vs. Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Not hard to find positives. For a half we looked like the Harlem Globetrotters in the middle and Xerri looked like prime Polly Farmer. Jackson turned the game.for them IMO and just started flogging X at centre clearances. Makes it very easy for Fyfe and Brayshaw and Serong to get on top through clearance and when there is a lot of ball going into an undermanned defence it makes sense that they turned the tables on us.

A few individual points - Stephenson had a nightmare in terms of momentum sapping efforts. Getting caught with the footy when we are slicing into the 50 and you just need to find a disposal or reward a runner, is just unforgivable. Not really offering enough around the ground at the moment for mine either.

McDonald, while I'm sure probably shut down an individual player, just looked underdone. I can vividly remember a point during their onslaught where he ran away from the player he was defending then tried to come back to them late to spoil but had given up front position and conceded an easy mark. A wholly weird game and one I'm sure he'd like to forget.

Pink was far better but still gave away a lot of opportunities to Taberner. Dawson was OK and I love his exuberance but he just gave away one of two free kicks which ****ed the momentum. Corr was awful. In the third quarter he gave away a free kick, and his player - a KPF - sprinted back to be an option. Corr walked. Should be dropped on that alone.

Powell and Wardlaw were sick. Think we saw the first half be the one that consigns Simpkin to a HFF for a little while, as the first choice mids of LDU/Powell/Wardlaw is easily our best IMO. Powell was unreal particularly. Glad we got to hear some Profokiev or whatever the * for Wardlaw's goal.

Stephens? Lazzaro? Both anonymous. Lazzaro at the least had some really cool moments in the first half including the assist for the first Powell goal.
Lazzaro was good in the first half, subbed off at 3/4 time I think

TurnoverMerchant 10 goals in a row isn't young team syndrome, it's capitulation. Our floor is still the Mariana trench. Last year I was anticipating that, this year it shouldn't be the ******* case. How many ******* preseasons need to happen before players are able to combat adversity in-game? It's deplorable, and until it changes, we're going to have to rely on opposition stuff ups to win games rather than doing it off our own back

Sheezel in the middle or further up the ground needs to be an adjustment that we are quick to make when the game is getting away from us.
He needs to be up the ground permanently.

Despite his brilliance, opposition teams still run over us.

He'd reduce opposition supply if he was around the ball.

Last edited:
The 3rd qtr completely un did all the good work of the first half.

Why can't we run out games?
It's been an issue for years.

Harder to run out games when you're chasing arse than it is when your arse is getting chased tbf

We were dead on our feet 15 mins into the 2nd Q

On that showing, Zurhaar needs to go into the middle to start the 2nd half

The young guns are young guns

Need a lot more from Stephens, I really hope Ford can build a tank for the wing
We are playing 14-15 mids in the 23 each week. Why would we be developing a game plan that can only last a quarter?

Yes, I know young group, only 2 preseasons under Clarkson…but it’s just a bit embarrassing.

The first quarter was scintillating stuff. But we need to playing with intent for more than a half a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of both I reckon. There were some big positioning issues with the backline which turned a lot of rushed Freo entries into dangerous balls too.
Yeah true. Backline wasn't faultless but this is the reality of what we should expect when our best defenders aren't on the park. Pink looked amazing in the first half when he had the freedom to get a equal contest and hunt. In fact, the whole team looked just about as cohesive as a top 4 side would. Sitting on the NMFC wing supporters were sharing the same sentiment. It was great to watch slick footy.

After the momentum swing, midfield pressure and clearance structures completely fell apart. Backline were completely exposed. It wasn't until the game was dead that the defenders could breathe again. It's unrealistic to hold the defenders accountable if they are thrown to the wolves for the entire 2nd half.

The backline did well. The midfield and forwards have got a lot to answer for. Two weeks now they've allowed too much space and didn't pressure. It also didn't help that Fisher couldn't use his skills as much as he would've liked in the 2nd half. Time and time again the movement up the ground was stagnant. Having good ball users in the backline doesn't help if we don't work.

Teams will be looking for that opportunity now. Carlton will be licking their lips if they get jumped early. Need to be better.

I still believe, but this year players need to want reward for effort. It won't just 'happen'.

Was umpiring woeful….tick
Did it cost us the game …nope
Hoju watching tv….nope….
We have no one but ourselves to blame..one simply doesn’t saunter out after half time and go …how do l do this….some players very good at ghosting….
Our set up and evaporation of tackles chasing……it was like watching a bunch of imposters after the break…..
Gosh l loved that first two quarters….that’s the team l want to see week in and out…right up till the final siren….
I get it we don’t have the cattle yet…we run out of gas….our team is young…....but wow what’s going on between the ears of some of them….yes we’re told look at the first two half’s that’s what we want…,and yes there are positives for which lm great full to see…
but
lm over the fade outs …years and years……yes it’s not a belting…..but this game is firmly in the could’ve, should’ve, would’ve category….and that’s what hurts and l hate it…..today was like a kick in the guts,…here we give you a thing of beauty…..complied with the bad habits of the last decade…..now deal with it…
And as much as l hope that the media acknowledged those two quarters…,the sinister side of me knows the boots will be layed in…….they should have won, what were they doing, how does a team cough up that lead…
Bottom line ….we don’t believe in ourselves when in that position yet…..we all had that stupid little voice bouncing around in our heads at half time …..
Would l like to see them hurting after that game instead of a chat and some hand slaps….yes….but that’s my emotions talking…
Frustrated yes…..l need a long walk and time to mull…with a good drink…..and consign this shi+$# of the second half to the scrap heap waste bin…
Then on to next week…….☹️

I’m willing to buy the whole ran out of juice thing. But to finish the last quarter some what decently for the past two weeks tells me that you can play 3.25 quarters of footy. So what’s the deal? Leadership? Not enough people trying?

I still saw Duursma, McKercher, Powell and Wardlaw giving their all towards the end.

I can’t say the same for the senior cohort. Zuurhar, Larkey, Stephenson, Tucker, Stephens, Scott, McDonald, Simpkin - where was the will to drag your team through that spell?

Overall the outcome I expected how I was surprised by the first half.

Thought Pink played well after a difficult first week.
Larkey had a great first half and then struggled with poor supply.
Curtis was good but just needs to be a bit more consistent.
Powell finding great form.

They really didn’t want to reward tackles with htb.
There were a few that were missed. Some really clear incorrect disposals ... Som obvious throws. Hard to understand what the umpires could have imagined had happened but they were fairly consistent so it might be an order from head office.

That one in the goal square was outrageous. I suspect that was ignored as they wouldn't want to gift a goal...

... unless...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back