Autopsy Autopsy vs Freo - 2-0 baby

Remove this Banner Ad

Dwayne on sen made a good point, the clock went to 0.0 way before the ball went out. That should be the discussion. Why isn't the end of play synced with the clock? Instead o relying on a time keeper to blow the siren and for the umpires to hear it?

Forgetting about recent blackout events.....;)

It should be a fairly simple task these days to hook the official time clock/siren to the LED signage on the fence and have an instant visual aid to show that time has expired.

If we're going to go to the ARC for these scenarios then this makes a lot more sense than trying to hear the siren on the broadcast and compare it against the vision.

Absolute necessity to trigger the siren with the clock reaching 0.0. The timekeepers can stop the clock as instructed by umpires but the final siren should not be manually initiated.

I watched the last 4 minutes of the GCS Suns game and the clock was taken off screen with three or four seconds to go, but by manually counting down I'm pretty sure that it would have synched to 0.0

In the ARC footage, the very first sound of the siren appears to happen when the ball is still about 2m or so inside the field of play. Whether that was "manipulated" or not is anybody's guess. I did read some comment that suggested that the audio that's broadcast is delayed, but that seems weird as it would only be by a second or so, and I can't see a benefit to that unless there is some AI based swear filter (possible).

The previous comment by FlyHigh18 is also relevant. There seemed to be a field umpire screaming to "pay it" which to begin with, implies that he was caught up in the excitement of the play instead of being an impartial official, but also, if he was so convinced that the free kick ought to be payed, then why did he not over-ride even if he was not the nearest umpire to the action? They do that often.

In fact, the Brayshaw non-decision 90 seconds earlier is the umpiring error that ought to be discussed. Howe's blind kick for distance was not intended by him to go over the line - to suggest that was his intention is crazy. Brayshaw's was directly at the line and could not have been any more blatant. Howe intentionally kicked for distance, but the ball going out was unintentional. The rule is for "insufficient effort" to keep the ball in play, and even though umpires have to make a judgement call on the intent, it would have been a big call to say Howe made "insufficient effort" when he was under the degree of pressure he was when he kicked the ball.

The umpire who was calling out "pay it" is a drop kick and should be stood down until he learns to control his emotions and perform his designated role as an impartial official.
Completely agree with the Brayshaw one. Funny how my Freo mates continue to ignore it. As for your comments about Howes intent your not understanding the rule. The rule is insufficient intent. The AFL want you to to keep it away from the boundary and Howe didn't show enough intent to keep the ball in play.

I'll say it again, just go to Last Possession as per SANFL, it takes way all this grey area.

Dwayne on sen made a good point, the clock went to 0.0 way before the ball went out. That should be the discussion. Why isn't the end of play synced with the clock? Instead o relying on a time keeper to blow the siren and for the umpires to hear it?

The broadcast clock is behind the actual clock, marginally, it seems bizarre that the siren isn't fed into the umpire headpiece.

Completely agree with the Brayshaw one. Funny how my Freo mates continue to ignore it. As for your comments about Howes intent your not understanding the rule. The rule is insufficient intent. The AFL want you to to keep it away from the boundary and Howe didn't show enough intent to keep the ball in play.

I'll say it again, just go to Last Possession as per SANFL, it takes way all this grey area.
I know the rule Mav.

If the AFL want players to keep the ball away from the boundary line then they should put a dotted line inside the boundary by whatever suitable distance they deem appropriate and pay free kicks against any player who causes the ball to cross that line under the SANFL last possession rule.

Or they could allow football to be played as it was intended, and drop the stupid recently added modifications. Pushing the ball over the boundary line is a legitimate defensive tactic. I know that the AFL and broadcasters want goals so they can get more ads on air during their telecasts but that is ruining the sport. It's like T20 cricket. It is not the real thing.

And I know you won't agree. My opinion is that the only rules added in the last 30 or 40 years that I can abide with are out on the full (from a kick) and those specifically implemented to protect the players from serious injury. But I'll concede - the SANFL last touch rule at least removes the necessity for a judgement call based on the opinion of an umpire. I'll only accept this rule being implemented if they remove the stupid rule on deliberately rushed behinds (the worst rule ever). Is that a deal?

The broadcast clock is behind the actual clock, marginally, it seems bizarre that the siren isn't fed into the umpire headpiece.
I understood that the siren is signalled to the umps in their earpiece. Maybe I'm wrong on that and they only use the technology to tell the umps to pay free kicks against North when the team is looking dangerous ;)

It speaks to the ridiculous power that the whiny AFL media has that if they whine about a perceived issue long enough the AFL will make a new rule of it as they are seen as ’curators of the game’ — even when the general public doesn’t care and when the evidence demonstrably proves that there is no issue there to begin with.

This was cleared up on game day and within like 6 hours of the game ending, and yet they are still harping on about this s**t.

I am more annoyed it got that close tbh, the clangerfest near the end almost undid 4 quarters of hard fought footy.

I know we are not accustomed to winning, but the pants shitting in the last minute was not good, before Howe almost killed us, Taylor just kicked it to the boundary coughing the ball up, these type of disposals out of defensive 50 do not help. I don't think Sheezel would have s**t his pants with either kick, something to add to the to-do list to work on.

If we are going to lose it, I'd rather force the opposition to force an effective tackle than to just give them the ball back with a free kick.

Doesn't that mean time ran out even before the broadcast clock went to 0.0? I think the siren is fed into the umpires headpiece. That's why the AFL signed it of as the correct decision, becuse they heard it before everyone else.

I understood that the siren is signalled to the umps in their earpiece. Maybe I'm wrong on that and they only use the technology to tell the umps to pay free kicks against North when the team is looking dangerous ;)

Some clowns in the media said they don't get the siren feed, which is why one of the umpires didn't hear the siren and said play it. I don't know for sure, trusting media people is not a hill I want to die on.

I know the rule Mav.

If the AFL want players to keep the ball away from the boundary line then they should put a dotted line inside the boundary by whatever suitable distance they deem appropriate and pay free kicks against any player who causes the ball to cross that line under the SANFL last possession rule.

Or they could allow football to be played as it was intended, and drop the stupid recently added modifications. Pushing the ball over the boundary line is a legitimate defensive tactic. I know that the AFL and broadcasters want goals so they can get more ads on air during their telecasts but that is ruining the sport. It's like T20 cricket. It is not the real thing.

And I know you won't agree. My opinion is that the only rules added in the last 30 or 40 years that I can abide with are out on the full (from a kick) and those specifically implemented to protect the players from serious injury. But I'll concede - the SANFL last touch rule at least removes the necessity for a judgement call based on the opinion of an umpire. I'll only accept this rule being implemented if they remove the stupid rule on deliberately rushed behinds (the worst rule ever). Is that a deal?
Theres no doubt scoring has gone down so it's not about making the game like a T20 game, it's about trying to get the game back to what it used to be. That said, the changing of the rules shits me no end. The rule makers don't actually think through the consequences. The diving on the ball one is the classic one. They wanted to reduce the amount of stoppages but all it has done is create these rolling mauls we get. If umps had just protected the player that wins the ball then it would happen. ie, if a players jumps on your back trying to tackle its a free kick to the guy with the ball. Game moves on. We should never penalise someone for winning the ball.

The chopping of the arms rule is a good one but it gets overruled. Guys just pulling the arm down instead of going the spoil became an overused tactic. But if you hit arms when trying to spoil its not chopping of the arms and this gets paid too often.

The deliberately rushed behind rule is a good one and came about because of that Richmond guy being a bad sport. If there's 1 minute to go and you're 5 points up after the opposition kick a point then you can waist time by just rushing 4 behinds. Problem was when it was introduced stupid punters thought it was for any rushed behind. So the AFL had to add in the 9 meter (or whatever it is) zone. But basically the rule is there to stop people from being bad sports, not for any rushed behind.

The stand rule is another good rule.

The advantage rule is a complete mess.

I am more annoyed it got that close tbh, the clangerfest near the end almost undid 4 quarters of hard fought footy.

I know we are not accustomed to winning, but the pants shitting in the last minute was not good, before Howe almost killed us, Taylor just kicked it to the boundary coughing the ball up, these type of disposals out of defensive 50 do not help. I don't think Sheezel would have s**t his pants with either kick, something to add to the to-do list to work on.

If we are going to lose it, I'd rather force the opposition to force an effective tackle than to just give them the ball back with a free kick.
It will be interesting to see what our plan is tactically in this position. We were obviously told to flood their forward 50, with Comben and Larkey sitting outside the 50 to mop up any kicks out. Larkey and Comben end up getting drawn in so we have nobody to kick to as all our players are now in Freos 50. Don't really want to hang onto it too long in case you give away HTB.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the broadcast clock is behind the actual clock, that would suggest that the actual clock hit 0:00 before the broadcast and the siren should have gone well before the ball was out of play.

As per my earlier post, I'd suggest the broadcast gets a live feed from the official clock, there would be wild differences between the two in every quarter if that were not the case. The only discrepancy can be that Channel 7 has a delay in digitally pushing the time up onto the screen, the timekeeper is slow to press the button or the siren takes more than a second to sound when the button is pushed.

Perhaps our resident Channel 7 insider Rick18 can shed some light on whether Channel 7 are using an official feed?

Again, like ice hockey having a visual aid to show each goal, I'm certain the AFL can connect the official time clock to the LED signage on the fence to show that time has expired. The time remaining/2 minute countdown has already been shown on the LED's for a promotion at the MCG for years now, let's use the same technology to show QUARTER/GAME OVER at 0:00.

Play doesn't stop till one of two things occur, the game clock expires (which is indicated by the game officials blowing the siren) or the ball is judged out of play (which is indicated by the boundary umpire blowing his whistle).

The siren went before the whistle was blown.

Now, did the ball cross the line before the siren and the whistle? Yep. Just like the siren was blown 1-2 seconds after the gameclock ended.

Interesting finish for sure.

Last edited:
Play doesn't stop till one of two things occur, the game clock expires (which is indicated by the game officials blowing the siren) or the ball is judged out of play (which is indicated by blowing the boundary umpire blowing his whistle).

Now, did the ball cross the line before the siren and the whistle? Yep. Just like the siren was blown 1-2 seconds after the gameclock ended.

I stand corrected. Fairly sure it was common knowledge that the game isn’t over until the “fat” lady sings.

No matter what, they have to fix this. Some of the grounds have those crappy air-horns or claxtons... what a joke. Synchronised electronic horns, standardised across all AFL approved grounds and a visual indicator plus confirmed official time clock on the scoreboard and on broadcast screens (uninterrupted). What have they got to hide? Nothing, so do it!

Play doesn't stop till one of two things occur, the game clock expires (which is indicated by the game officials blowing the siren) or the ball is judged out of play (which is indicated by blowing the boundary umpire blowing his whistle).

But the game doesn't finish until the umpire raises his arms to signal the end (and blow the whistle I think), would be good to have a single end point :)

yep this is exactly what was said. we hear a delayed siren but the umpires get it earlier, thats why the umpire called game over. what i'm surprised with is the umpire had already said he was gonna pay the deliberate before it went oob.
He probably made the decision in his head before the siren went. That would make sense. He still can't make the official decision until the boundary ump is signalling oob.

But the game doesn't finish until the umpire raises his arms to signal the end (and blow the whistle I think), would be good to have a single end point :)
A non controlling ump (controlling ump would have paid the free,) would have called an end to play cos they aren't doing anything and hear the same siren in their earpiece.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back