Autopsy Autopsy vs Freo - 2-0 baby

Remove this Banner Ad

Completely agree with the Brayshaw one. Funny how my Freo mates continue to ignore it. As for your comments about Howes intent your not understanding the rule. The rule is insufficient intent. The AFL want you to to keep it away from the boundary and Howe didn't show enough intent to keep the ball in play.

I'll say it again, just go to Last Possession as per SANFL, it takes way all this grey area.
I reckon the boundary ump hadn't signalled oob before the siren went, I have a feeling they may have even stopped in the middle of signalling it becuse they heard the siren.

Therefore if oob hasn't been signalled no one can pay a free kick for insufficient intent or deliberate oob. Cos officially the ball isn't out of bounds yet.

LOL UMpires should be lawyers.

But the game doesn't finish until the umpire raises his arms to signal the end (and blow the whistle I think), would be good to have a single end point :)
Correct - and in this case he is the one that adjudicated if the ball was signalled out of bounds before the siren went.

It will be interesting to see what our plan is tactically in this position. We were obviously told to flood their forward 50, with Comben and Larkey sitting outside the 50 to mop up any kicks out. Larkey and Comben end up getting drawn in so we have nobody to kick to as all our players are now in Freos 50. Don't really want to hang onto it too long in case you give away HTB.

Yeah, we needed to have Comben and Larkey around 50m out of goal on the flanks as a go to target so they can at least fumble the ball over the boundary line, there was nobody to go to.

We shouldn't be surprised, in the 2 minute trials against Richmond, they scored against us when they were defending the last two minutes, which says a lot about our ability to execute any kind of plan.

Umpires aren't going to do us a favour.

The timer stops, they hear the siren or get an audible beep of some kind, they end the game. That's what happened.

The telecast etc are irrelevant. Sound has to travel to mics etc.

It's really not that complicated. Except that we won so of course it is.

The last two weeks we've run out of puff in the last quarter which understandable considering the past two years we've had very little fitness base and our new gameplan is basically an end-to-end running in waves-fest.

The difference is this year we're hanging on, instead of being run over by 10 goals..

We will still see some pain as the new GP and fitness evolve, but just wait until our players are conditioned to run all day and the GP becomes second nature.

Sexy Look GIF

In fact, the Brayshaw non-decision 90 seconds earlier is the umpiring error that ought to be discussed. Howe's blind kick for distance was not intended by him to go over the line - to suggest that was his intention is crazy. Brayshaw's was directly at the line and could not have been any more blatant. Howe intentionally kicked for distance, but the ball going out was unintentional. The rule is for "insufficient effort" to keep the ball in play, and even though umpires have to make a judgement call on the intent, it would have been a big call to say Howe made "insufficient effort" when he was under the degree of pressure he was when he kicked the ball.
No, the interpretation actually is insufficient intent. The idea is that umpires don't have to read minds anymore, rather it places the burden on players to try hard enough to keep the ball in play. the brayshaw non-decision was disgraceful, agreed.

The last two weeks we've run out of puff in the last quarter which understandable considering the past two years we've had very little fitness base and our new gameplan is basically an end-to-end running in waves-fest.

The difference is this year we're hanging on, instead of being run over by 10 goals..

We will still see some pain as the new GP and fitness evolve, but just wait until our players are conditioned to run all day and the GP becomes second nature.

Sexy Look GIF
We also have Powell playing in the middle, well on ball, Radio Goatboy in the backline, Sheezel who despite his fitness is still a first year playing against adult for the first time...

Its no wonder we run out of run with young players performing so well in key roles all game.

As you say this will take time, they need to get properly fit and embed the game plan in the subconscious instead of having to think about what to do. While we're where I hoped we'd be now I honestly didn't expect it. I thought we were possibly a chance, a slim one, to go into the Hawks game 2-0 but most likely 1-1, unlikely 0-2 but if we're unlucky then maybe. If we'd lost both these games by a goal that would suck but we'd be happy with our progress compared to last year and put the losses down to youth and learning the game plan ... and fair enough too.

We'd see the potential in how we play early in the games and know it'll come with time/fitness.

No, the interpretation actually is insufficient intent. The idea is that umpires don't have to read minds anymore, rather it places the burden on players to try hard enough to keep the ball in play. the brayshaw non-decision was disgraceful, agreed.
Sorry. I did type "effort" when I should have said "intent". Apologies to Mav as well.

In my opinion effort would have been a better word for the rule, which is probably why I made the error.

Intent requires an umpire to judge what the player had in their mind whereas effort at least can be more correctly assessed by an ump.

I don't believe an umpire can assess intent and reach an opinion that it was the players intent to give away a free kick. Even in the most dire of clutch situations the player's intent will not be to give away a free. But if they don't make a decent effort to avoid it because they ran the gauntlet of kicking towards the boundary line then they pay the ultimate price.

But even though I hate the thought, a cut and dried rule like in the SANFL would take away the variability of umpire decision making.

But only if the 9m force behind rule is dropped. That is not negotiable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sexy Look GIF
We have also had two weeks of hot temperatures - 37 last Sat and a hot and humid 30 in Perth. This could also contribute to the fatigue in the last quarter. They will be relieved it will be slightly cooler this week in Tassy.

Looks to me.

LDU: 5+5
Ryan: 4+1
Simpkin: 4
Larkey: 3
Sheeze: 3
Swit: 2
Brayshaw: 2
Ziebs: 1
I had Brayshaw as clearly Freos best on. Lots of big efforts including chasing down LDU in a crucial moment and going back into packs along with some key clearances at the end.

Sexy Look GIF

Was pretty impressed with the fitness to be honest Sherm. They worked their bums off in hot conditions (for the second week in a row).
No wonder they were running on fumes at the end

Was pretty impressed with the fitness to be honest Sherm. They worked their bums off in hot conditions (for the second week in a row).
No wonder they were running on fumes at the end
Absolutely KR, they’re all running themselves into the ground which is courageous in itself.

absolutely
Really noticeable the improvement in fitness plus the improvement in kicking skills

actually looks like we had a pre season....:cool:
Very much so. Targets presenting themselves and maybe now there's also the expectation that the kick would go the our player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back