Player Watch #1 - Steven May - All Australian FB

Remove this Banner Ad

Way too much being made of it. Might have nursed three pints over four hours for all we know.

You’d obviously prefer him to be slamming down protein shakes, or whatever they take to get their bodies right, but if having a few pints with mates helps him get his head right, it doesn’t bother me. As long as he does whatever it takes to get himself back on the field and performing when he’s expected to, then it doesn’t matter.

It’s nowhere near as bad a some lowlife guttersnipe with a camera following a player around on his day off.

Its only an issue because he turned up unfit and is currently injured otherwise i dont think there is anything wrong with a few drinks on a sunday arvo.

Completely agree. If James Harmes has a few beers on Sunday who cares, he is fit and playing decent footy.

When you come to a club as a high prized recruit, come to that club unfit for pre season, then get injured, your injury hasn’t progressed and you are seen on the piss. That is why it’s an issue. If he can’t be disciplined enough to refrain from beers whilst recovering from injury then will he be disciplined enough to ever get fit.

Side note, blokes plotting misson for his lack of ability to get blokes off the injury list. Doesn’t help when the players don’t give them self the best chance to get fit

Completely agree. If James Harmes has a few beers on Sunday who cares, he is fit and playing decent footy.

When you come to a club as a high prized recruit, come to that club unfit for pre season, then get injured, your injury hasn’t progressed and you are seen on the piss. That is why it’s an issue. If he can’t be disciplined enough to refrain from beers whilst recovering from injury then will he be disciplined enough to ever get fit.

Side note, blokes plotting misson for his lack of ability to get blokes off the injury list. Doesn’t help when the players don’t give them self the best chance to get fit

I actually fully agree with you on this one. Feels Dirty.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/9f5cbeae449ac0c483002513a983b9da/tenor.gif?itemid=8663432

Can someone explain to me how alcohol interferes with the recovery process of soft-tissue injuries?

Never really understood it, tbh.
My assumption is your not doing the same amount of Cardio to keep it off, because you're off legs. I say with no knowledge and experience in this field

My assumption is your not doing the same amount of Cardio to keep it off, because you're off legs. I say with no knowledge and experience in this field

So if May was drinking scotch on the rocks we'd all be okay with this?

Similarly if he was instead caught eating three baguettes in an afternoon he would still need to apologise to the playing group?

Last edited:

Interesting study. Seems like they found a correlation but gathered no where near enough data to make a definitive claim. They only tested alcohol against orange juice and no mention of a control group so to say they've made a definitive link is dubious at best. Especially considering they saw no effect when alcohol was consumed with more moderation.

This study was done 7 years ago, which surprises me they claim they are the first to find a link between the two, considering drinking while being in recovery has been taboo for much longer than that. I wonder if there have been more recent studies that shed more light on the subject.

Can someone explain to me how alcohol interferes with the recovery process of soft-tissue injuries?

Never really understood it, tbh.
Unqualified guess here - but I think alcohol can inhibit the carriage of certain things in you blood so your muscles don’t receive the optimal amounts of certain things that they use for muscle recovery and new cell regeneration.

I don’t know exactly what those things are. I was originally going to say oxygen but in that one I’m pretty sure I’m thinking of cigarettes.

Alcohol is a diuretic; i.e. it can cause dehydration and electrolyte imbalances. It can also disrupt sleep patterns, which can impact HGH and testosterone secretion, and diminishes protein synthesis if used in excess, which are all important in muscle building and repair. Alcohol also has a lot of calories, but your body isn't easily able to use these calories for energy, so the alcohol sugars will instead be converted to fatty acids and stored as fat, thereby increasing your % body fat.

1557210062811.png

Alcohol is a diuretic; i.e. it can cause dehydration and electrolyte imbalances. It can also disrupt sleep patterns, which can impact HGH and testosterone secretion, and diminishes protein synthesis if used in excess, which are all important in muscle building and repair. Alcohol also has a lot of calories, but your body isn't easily able to use these calories for energy, so the alcohol sugars will instead be converted to fatty acids and stored as fat, thereby increasing your % body fat.

View attachment 669150
Cheers.

How much does this affect a player recovering from injury as opposed to a player who is healthy and playing week to week?

Cheers.

How much does this affect a player recovering from injury as opposed to a player who is healthy and playing week to week?

Well, I would estimate, and understanding that we need to take into account the athlete's age, weight and sexual proclivities, that a typical scenario would see the former, as opposed to the latter, of course, take approximately, or as much as, something in the vicinity of almost 20 millimeters. But this could be modified if the former, again not being the latter, were to, say, have had a hysterectomy in past seven years, or something of that nature... perhaps a severe bout of indigestion? Regardless, it's significant, really significant.

DON'T DRINK AND LIFT, KIDDIES!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, I would estimate, and understanding that we need to take into account the athlete's age, weight and sexual proclivities, that a typical scenario would see the former, as opposed to the latter, of course, take approximately, or as much as, something in the vicinity of almost 20 millimeters. But this could be modified if the former, again not being the latter, were to, say, have had a hysterectomy in past seven years, or something of that nature... perhaps a severe bout of indigestion? Regardless, it's significant, really significant.

DON'T DRINK AND LIFT, KIDDIES!!!

Wow, I'm learning so much!

He’s just not winning any friends at Melbourne yet is he and rightly so.
There is only one way back from this and that is dominating when he returns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back