10 moments that shaped Geelong Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Couch was already there. He debuted in 1985. He just would have ended up on a forward flank I'm guessing.
Or he could of also played in the middle. Whilst both slow Couch wasnt the same player as Williams. He had more of an outside game and was deadly with foot. Williams was in and under hand ball king. Hocking, bairstow, williams, couch and bews all rotating through the middle would be basically unstoppable.

Moments or events? There were plenty of moments which lead up to events which shaped our club. Winning the 2007 Grand Final by a record margin was a monumental event. I could list one thousand moments, or actions... on-field and off-field. Scarlett's toe poke, Joel Corey's smother in the '07 Prelim.

Wow, so many great memories. Whether they be moments, events or enduring legacies... the GFC has plenty. Who couldn't be proud of what our great club has endured and achieved?

Or he could of also played in the middle. Whilst both slow Couch wasnt the same player as Williams. He had more of an outside game and was deadly with foot. Williams was in and under hand ball king. Hocking, bairstow, williams, couch and bews all rotating through the middle would be basically unstoppable.

Yep, of course in that era 'rotation' as such didn't exist.

Geelong goal in 1967 grand final that was marked by fred swift a metre behind the goal line. Mark paid. Richmond win the game. Polly Farmer never quite the same after that decision. Geelong were great in that era and could easily have won more silverware. Marshall Closter Goggin Farmer Wade West Sharrock Polinelli Walker Andrews Newman Mitchell Rosenow Newland Farman. That era has always stayed with me as one of the great times for gfc.

Blight and Gary Ablett standing on a bridge and Blight giving the ultimatum

Come to training or go home and never come back.

The 2002 VFL flag.
We hadn't won any silverware since 1963. Seeing all of these youngsters actually win something surely got them a taste of how good it felt. David Mensch thank you for those three last quarter goals!!
There was actual hope for me from then on that we might snag a seniors flag in my lifetime.

Id say not as specific as the 2002 flag , the decision to go against the trend of all the other teams to drop a direct VFL entry. Geelongs success has changed what was the comp norm to the point of most clubs now wanting their own VFL team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back