Player Watch #11: Jason Castagna - signed to 2023

Should Castagna be dropped for the Port game after his 2 disposal effort vs the Swans?

• Yes - for Cumberland

• Yes - for anyone

• No

• Make him Sub

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Early call... George will get his kicking boots on and be the All Australian small forward in 2020.

**plus, a three time Richmond premiership player**
All Australian captain

Interesting article on the club app he’s 1 of only 2 players at Richmond to ever win two flags in two different jumper numbers...

Hope he changes his number again next year so he can go 3 for 3

Reckon he has the most shots on goal of any small forward in the comp bar Cameron and maybe Walters. He’s a gun. He’ll get better at goal kicking as he learns to slow down before he kicks but he just creates so much.

Has had roughly the same shots as Walters this year but Walters has kicked at 65% and George at 52%

George probably finding himself having more set shots in tighter angles on the run.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Georgies 2017 compared to 2019 differential

Kicks: +51,
Handball: + 32,
Disposals: +83,
Goals: +1,
Inside 50’s: +16,
Uncontested Possessions: +88,
Goal assists: +2,
Clangers: +2,
Kilometres ran/game: +2.12km

and with 1 game played less then 2017

Does anyone even watch what he does when he doesn’t have the ball!? He’s spent 51% in our defensive half this year, he’s running up and down the ground like no tomorrow. 88 more uncontested possessions is INSANE, 83 more disposals and 2km ran more PER GAME, this kid is working his ass off, I’m really sick of people saying he should be dropped. Those people know nothing about football and the role he’s been playing. Set shots need some work but even the Greats like buddy franklin have kicked 69G 64B in a season. Georgie kicked 1 more behind this season then goals but he’s only human and half his goals are running full speed under pressure or insane snaps on the trot which are the hardest to kick.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he continues to play more and more up the wing."

Last edited:
"Georgies 2017 compared to 2019 differential

Kicks: +51,
Handball: + 32,
Disposals: +83,
Goals: +1,
Inside 50’s: +16,
Uncontested Possessions: +88,
Goal assists: +2,
Clangers: +2,
Kilometres ran/game: +2.12km

and with 1 game played less then 2017

Does anyone even watch what he does when he doesn’t have the ball!? He’s spent 51% in our defensive half this year, he’s running up and down the ground like no tomorrow. 88 more uncontested possessions is INSANE, 83 more disposals and 2km ran more PER GAME, this kid is working his ass off, I’m really sick of people saying he should be dropped. Those people know nothing about football and the role he’s been playing. Set shots need some work but even the Greats like buddy franklin have kicked 69G 64B in a season. Georgie kicked 1 more behind this season then goals but he’s only human and half his goals are running full speed under pressure or insane snaps on the trot which are the hardest to kick.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he continues to play more and more up the wing."

I've never understood the harsh criticism of him, he is a beast of an athlete and the pressure he brings is unreal. Totally the type of player that flourishes in our system. Slight knock on his kicking, he gets that right and he's in AA territory.

I love this bloke he does everything the richmond man typifies.
hard at it, runs all day, ect he could be all Australian next yr if he kicked straight but i love that he gets selected every week for what he brings to this footy club.
Spot on
Example A - 15 minute mark of the 3rd Q 2019 GF, George makes a goal saving tackle and wins a free kick 15m out from their goals.
The game was done and dusted and there he is working his arse off to run over 120m in support of our backs.

Back