AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure he has the capacity. He started his career forward but was constantly injured and never reached great heights.
But that's the point, he doesn't get injured anymore so we should try him forward again.

Laverde in defense shouldn't be costing us one of or both Zerk and Baldwin this offseason.

But that's the point, he doesn't get injured anymore so we should try him forward again.

Laverde in defense shouldn't be costing us one of or both Zerk and Baldwin this offseason.
Forwards are more prone to injury with leading rather than following. It is why Hurley moved back.

For me if he is not back he is done.

I'm critical of the 3rd year. I'd be staggered if another team were offering a highly inconsistent, injury prone 25 year old a 3 year deal after one above average year in defence.

Laverde was a textbook Dodoro pick, and I can't help but think he would've been extra "receptive" to the idea of giving him a generous contract to validate his own long term conviction in Lav.

I’m critical of the deal as well but who knows what the terms are? Maybe he gave up significant dollars to extract the 3rd year in negotiations.

I still think Laverde is a very handy player to have on the list with his competitiveness and versatility, I’m confident he would dominate VFL level at the very least. I’m more worried about Kelly in the best 22 than Lav but we will be a better side once both are depth rather than mainstays.
Wasn't he drafted as a utility?

I'd like to see him get a go at the Will Setterfield role if McKay's coming in. We need another big fella in the middle.

Had surgery on an uncomfortable wrist, no ETA yet
Had surgery on an uncomfortable wrist, no ETA yet
Defender Jayden Laverde also underwent wrist surgery recently which was to combat some ongoing pain that had been surfacing after doing weights at the conclusion of Essendon's year.

"He got that done a couple of weeks ago. He'll obviously be able to do a heap of running and then his return date to full training is not known just yet but he'll be back running pretty quickly," McPherson said. "It was more a discomfort thing than a significant injury."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ca83af7738e4ff29350545c7a9ce9cb83ca9456b_2_282x500.jpeg

Lav reads the play well, is very athletic and has been decent on much bigger stronger players.
He won’t know himself with McKay and Reid in the team as he’ll will now play back pocket instead of fullback or centre half back.
Lav will get the oppositions third tall/medium forward to mind instead of the oppositions key forward..
He’s ahead of Kelly and probably Heppell - barring injury he’ll play every game

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Lav reads the play well, is very athletic and has been decent on much bigger stronger players.
He won’t know himself with McKay and Reid in the team as he’ll will now play back pocket instead of fullback or centre half back.
Lav will get the oppositions third tall/medium forward to mind instead of the oppositions key forward..
He’s ahead of Kelly and probably Heppell - barring injury he’ll play every game

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah some were calling for him as a midfielder once upon a time. Definitely more dynamic than Kelly and probably 95% as defensively minded. He’s a lock I reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back