Roast 18 years of no Grand Final appearances - proven finals failures

Remove this Banner Ad

The reality is that if you want to consitantly make GFs you have to load up on top end talent.
Hawthorn did this through multiple top 5 draft picks.

Didn't they get to near collapse to get those picks?

Geelong did it through bottoming out and loading up on cheap quality father sons.

An avenue no longer possible with the current F-S draft rules.

Reality sucks.
Reality is a mindset ... learn to enjoy it [AHB] laugh.png

I'm probably the most depressed about supporting us tonight than I have ever been. The ******* Dogs just won a flag before us FFS. The Dogs, a s**t club who hadnt won a flag since before colour TV was invented.
I too am having this depressing feeling. Something inside of me wanted swans to win for this reason.

I'm probably the most depressed about supporting us tonight than I have ever been. The ******* Dogs just won a flag before us FFS. The Dogs, a s**t club who hadnt won a flag since before colour TV was invented.

Apologies to intrude, but I don't understand. How have the Dogs won a flag before the Crows? It's now 2-1 in the AFL era?

Since our last one I meant

Ah fair enough :) Yes well as I follow the Crows closely (along with my own team), I can understand and see your frustration. Your club has managed to build a very good list (in spite of the departures...). But I agree that there needs to be a change in mindset, action. Thompson should not he playing next season. Full stop. Mackay and Douglas as senior players do not lead by example, good servants of the club yes, but they should not be an automatic selection. You have some great talent that has been brought in (Hampton, Menzel) that is there and fingers crossed they get the opportunity next year.

The other thing is that as today showed, you need a quality midfield and depth to win. Something that at the moment the AFC and my club (WCE) lack...

It is very frustrating. We are the two biggest non Victorian sides, we should be challenging, up there with Sydney, Hawthorn consistently. Unfortunately it isn't happening, whether it be a culture of near enough is good enough, the safety and security that comes with ruling our respective states. We are risk averse. We are comfortable. And it needs to change.

If it's any consolation, at least the AFC aren't being linked to players like Petrie, Ballantyne and Conca. Excuse me while I go throw up! :eek::oops::'(

Didn't they get to near collapse to get those picks?

An avenue no longer possible with the current F-S draft rules.

Reality is a mindset ... learn to enjoy it View attachment 295158
Reality is that we have been going through the motions since 1999.
We have been poorly ran through the Trigg years, we have pissed away those rare opportunities when we have got into prelims as well.
We are in the second rung of teams at the moment and dont have that elite talent coming through that other teams like GWS, WB, Melbourne etc have.
Its a tough ask to win a flag and everything has to go right to do it.

Since before TV came to Australia

We have been poorly ran through the Trigg years,
This is not so much a bash at Trigg because he obviously did the best he could with his knowledge base. When Trigg came to the club he was an ex player ex Sturt coach. Went into Football Operations? Or some such. Did an ok job and was promoted from within until he was made CEO.

I wonder if this idea of promoting from within hurts us more than it helps ie easier transitions , existing relationships etc . If we look at many of the positions at the club a lot are promoted within. Even the coaches are holdovers. I wonder if it is time we mixed things up , not only at Management level but also our coaches etc. I don't mean a fire sale clean out from now but a general move along of people who could walk the corridors of the AFC with their eyes shut they are that familiar with the place.

This is not so much a bash at Trigg because he obviously did the best he could with his knowledge base. When Trigg came to the club he was an ex player ex Sturt coach. Went into Football Operations? Or some such. Did an ok job and was promoted from within until he was made CEO.

I wonder if this idea of promoting from within hurts us more than it helps ie easier transitions , existing relationships etc . If we look at many of the positions at the club a lot are promoted within. Even the coaches are holdovers. I wonder if it is time we mixed things up , not only at Management level but also our coaches etc. I don't mean a fire sale clean out from now but a general move along of people who could walk the corridors of the AFC with their eyes shut they are that familiar with the place.

In a business environment it is often the case that internal promotion is cheaper and more efficient. But for a position where you want the very best external hires are often vastly superior even if it takes more to bring them up to speed.

So for lower positions you tend to promote. But for senior roles you nearly always want to bring in external candidates.

In a business environment it is often the case that internal promotion is cheaper and more efficient. But for a position where you want the very best external hires are often vastly superior even if it takes more to bring them up to speed.

So for lower positions you tend to promote. But for senior roles you nearly always want to bring in external candidates.
Agreed. I don't mind the lower positions being from within , but as you say an external candidate looking over these will see things that maybe that person promoted from within will either ignore or excuse it.

Agreed. I don't mind the lower positions being from within , but as you say an external candidate looking over these will see things that maybe that person promoted from within will either ignore or excuse it.

That is part of it, bringing in someone who isn't blind to cultural or process issues can often turn up new insights. They also bring in new ideas from their previous organizations to help you evolve.

But honestly one of the most important things is that when you're recruiting externally your candidate pool is likely 100x larger than it would be for internal hires. So you're much more likely to find the very best in that external pool rather than hoping you happen to have a gold mine in your own pocket.

The fact that today's game has nothing to do with us is entirely the point being made.
It's a bit pathetic. The dogs did something incredible in the last four weeks. History making stuff. That doesn't retrospectively shed any more light on our performance than... well... our performance did.

It happened. No need for all the sulking as if the bulldogs winning makes it worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a bit pathetic. The dogs did something incredible in the last four weeks. History making stuff. That doesn't retrospectively shed any more light on our performance than... well... our performance did.

It happened. No need for all the sulking as if the bulldogs winning makes it worse.

Of course the performance of other clubs reflects on the lack of our performance of our club.

What you call 'pathetic' the normal planet calls competition.

I don't get the Noble and Campo hate

Me neither. What Campo has done with our midfield over the last few season is remarkable. And Noble as head of footy must take a bow for the ruthless culture of our footy dept and the way that we adhere to the 'elite standards' and 'team first' mantras.

We have been poorly ran through the Trigg years, we have pissed away those rare opportunities when we have got into prelims as well.
We are in the second rung of teams at the moment and dont have that elite talent coming through that other teams like GWS, WB, Melbourne etc have.

Yes but in truth a whole bunch of things went wrong for the Dogs through this year and they still made their success against huge odds.

The dogs were relentless for the full finals series. Never gave the opposition any time or space. I feel that we played this way early in the season ( Sydney and Hawks games for example) but for some reason we couldn't maintain it and when others played this way we got thrashed.
Before the gf I thought that whilst the dogs may not win , I think the way they play makes them 'unthrashable'. We were too but only for half a season ( and sadly the wrong half)

It absolutely shows that if you make the 8, anything can happen.

Cmon - 2005 and 2006 was not going through the motions - that was our most recent missed opportunity. 2012 was more like Geelong 2016 - soft draw and some change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back