Roast 18 years of no Grand Final appearances - proven finals failures

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there will be some improvement simply by having 12 months experience and another preseason under Pyke's game plan - especially defensively

However I don't think the quality and intensity of our midfield can compete with the best teams, regardless of game plan. Need some new personnel in there and a change in mindset
No doubt there will be some improvement that naturally comes from a group of players gelling together. But natural improvement will not be enough because most of our direct competition will naturally improve.

No doubt there will be some improvement that naturally comes from a group of players gelling together. But natural improvement will not be enough because most of our direct competition will naturally improve.
Exactly - I expected improvement this year, and we did get some. Compare that with the Dogs improvement though

Exactly - I expected improvement this year, and we did get some. Compare that with the Dogs improvement though
And next year the Dogs natural improvement will most likely be better than ours as they'll no doubt have a better run with injuries. Not to mention GWS, whose natural improvement will be greater than anyone else's because of the 300 first round picks on their list.

Unbelievable negativity here. It sucks, I get that - but I can't believe people don't think there is anything to be optimistic about. We are a side on the up!

Remember we won 16 games this year (3 more than 2015), despite a harder fixture, the tragedy of our former coach and losing the current Brownlow medalist. There has been significant development in our back and forward line - and this will continue to improve. Sloane has cemented himself as a superstar and the Crouch bros have hardly reached their peaks yet. Development of Milera, Hampton, Doedee, Menzel is also exciting as long as they get more senior games next year.

What we do next year will be the real telling sign. If we recruit a gun midfielder or two, give more senior games to Milera/Hampton/Menzel, and phase out Thompson/McKay/Douglas we've got a serious contending side there.

Cheer up lads, there are things to be excited about!

And next year the Dogs natural improvement will most likely be better than ours as they'll no doubt have a better run with injuries. Not to mention GWS, whose natural improvement will be greater than anyone else's because of the 300 first round picks on their list.

Yep, now is the time to do a rebuild because the two best sides next year are super young with vast improvement in them.

Yep. GWS will win everything. Lucky they can only play 22 at a time.

Unbelievable negativity here. It sucks, I get that - but I can't believe people don't think there is anything to be optimistic about. We are a side on the up!

Remember we won 16 games this year (3 more than 2015), despite a harder fixture, the tragedy of our former coach and losing the current Brownlow medalist. There has been significant development in our back and forward line - and this will continue to improve. Sloane has cemented himself as a superstar and the Crouch bros have hardly reached their peaks yet. Development of Milera, Hampton, Doedee, Menzel is also exciting as long as they get more senior games next year.

What we do next year will be the real telling sign. If we recruit a gun midfielder or two, give more senior games to Milera/Hampton/Menzel, and phase out Thompson/McKay/Douglas we've got a serious contending side there.

No we suck and everyone apart from Roo and Fages is to blame and needs to go. And Fages is on notice. And Hamish can stay but he needs to find a gun inside mid with pick 49. And Noble better get Rockliff for us in return for going to Brisbane.

Elite talent can be found later in the draft, we just haven't been able to do it with the mids other than Sloane.

Largely because we dont draft them, or play the ones that we do.

This has been what's hurt us, in terms of personnel. There's a whole lot of issues going on, but we need to get a lot smarter with talent scouting and list management of Mids....not to mention being bold with positional rotations on game day. This last factor has been a major boat anchor at the Crows for decades.
I believe we do have a cultural issue at the club, no question, but that is starting to change now that Fagan has taken the helm. We are by no means out of the woods yet, but we have started turning the corner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate to say it, but the difference I reckon is between the ears.
Look at the quality of the Dogs senior players. Blokes like Boyd and Morris are AA quality players. Douglass and Mackay have never been mentioned as being that quality.

Ill give it to Beveridge he identified which senior players are of the necessary quality and moved the others on. He had faith in his younger players and gave them responsinilty rather than flogging dead horses and hoping for miracles.

Look at the quality of the Dogs senior players. Blokes like Boyd and Morris are AA quality players. Douglass and Mackay have never been mentioned as being that quality.

Ill give it to Beveridge he identified which senior players are of the necessary quality and moved the others on. He had faith in his younger players and gave them responsinilty rather than flogging dead horses and hoping for miracles.
I hate this because I can't stand Beveridge but it's true. He's a far stronger leader than anyone we've had since Blight

Yep agree with that.

Do you really believe any of this is going to happen?

Milera/Menzel/Hampton...they're all new at the club. They don't have the network of mates at the club that Thommo, Dougie and Dmac have. The latter will always hold them out of the side.

They might get a run but it won't be at the expense of those 3.

There's an astounding naivete there about how our club ticks

The quality of our senior players are exactly why we've achieved nothing for so long.

Douglas, just when he should be stepping up to cover some Danger slack is made a non-statistical forward.
Mackay on games played is ranked 22 by our coaches but is picked every week.
Thommo has been great but is going to go on one year too many.
VB was just an average footballer.
Reilly was just an average footballer.

Our next breed of senior players when we weed out the last of this lot will be quality. But I feel sorry for them, had our club made hard calls earlier they could have had success by now. Instead they've had to carry the team when they should be carried.

I do wonder how much of a positive impact this pre-season will have on the players. First time since '14 that they'll be going into the season with some continuity with how they're playing. That's something which gets overlooked a bit I think, 4 different coaches in 3 years is just something no other team has ever had to go through.

The quality of our senior players are exactly why we've achieved nothing for so long.

Douglas, just when he should be stepping up to cover some Danger slack is made a non-statistical forward.
Mackay on games played is ranked 22 by our coaches but is picked every week.
Thommo has been great but is going to go on one year too many.
VB was just an average footballer.
Reilly was just an average footballer.

Our next breed of senior players when we weed out the last of this lot will be quality. But I feel sorry for them, had our club made hard calls earlier they could have had success by now. Instead they've had to carry the team when they should be carried.
Yep. Fantasia destroyed us with his drunk recruiting and subsequent list managers didn't do enough to fix the gaping hole in that age bracket

I do wonder how much of a positive impact this pre-season will have on the players. First time since '14 that they'll be going into the season with some continuity with how they're playing. That's something which gets overlooked a bit I think, 4 different coaches in 3 years is just something no other team has ever had to go through.
I expect this to have a small effect but no more than it has for every other team that doesn't change coach so we'll be lucky if it translates to a real gain. The others won't stand still.

We need personnel changes to break up a crippling boys club culture. Only time we kick into gear is when port roll over us like in 2014. When port are small in the rear vision mirror we're quite content to stand still and look after the boys like Thommo will be looked after.

The sad truth is that we measure ourselves against port and our focus is 100% local and restricted to winning the battle in SA. Sadly that's also enough for most of our supporters and so it continues.

We need port to either do well or disappear completely because while we are dominating them we are content

Yep. Fantasia destroyed us with his drunk recruiting and subsequent list managers didn't do enough to fix the gaping hole in that age bracket
What the hell were our list managers doing in that time? Was Craig's dislike of trading behind it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back