1st Test Australia v West Indies 30/11-4/12 1250hrs @ Perth Stadium

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

On paper this West Indies side shouldn't be a bowler light but that's what it felt a bit like to me.

Does show you the importance of having a spinner (and a good one) in Australian conditions. It enables bowlers to rotate from the other end the Windies didn't have that really.

Seems like a lot here dont even really like test cricket, most tests around world arent that close and the home side generally dominates test cricket especially the top 4-5 sides.

Once in a while you get amazing contest that ebbs and flows for 5 days but lot of test matches arent like that but maybe lets also wait for more than one day before we decide the summers is a dud i seem to remember we rolled india for nothing few summers back in first test and their b side then didnt lose another game, we havent won a home series vs SA for over 15 years so if we beat windies im just going to enjoy it as SA could easily roll us again then people moaning about an easy summer will be calling for whole side to be sacked.

Some huge over reactions to day 1 of the summer

Spoiler alert Ussie, Marnus and Smudge are pretty damn good. If a few half chances went to hand and we are 4-250 it doesn't look anywhere near as one sided.
are we allowed to make the same ifs and buts if we struggle in India?

I don’t think the Windies bowled badly,in fact at times they bowled quite well, they just lack variety and genuine strike power - but that is a big problem , especially in Australia. Realistically we are likely to put up a very large score today, and I’m fairly confident that the bowlers will run through them without too much bother. It’s not going to be much of a match.

are we allowed to make the same ifs and buts if we struggle in India?

I don’t think the Windies bowled badly,in fact at times they bowled quite well, they just lack variety and genuine strike power - but that is a big problem , especially in Australia. Realistically we are likely to put up a very large score today, and I’m fairly confident that the bowlers will run through them without too much bother. It’s not going to be much of a match.

Yep really miss a bowler at the top pace bracket. They have plenty of bowlers but all are the same 130-140kmph medium-fast to fast-medium at best. There is no express bowlers, and their spinner is average at best. You either need speed or hand variety. Do they have a left armer? I'm not across their squad.

Yep really miss a bowler at the top pace bracket. They have plenty of bowlers but all are the same 130-140kmph medium-fast to fast-medium at best. There is no express bowlers, and their spinner is average at best. You either need speed or hand variety. Do they have a left armer? I'm not across their squad.
Yeah I’m not as across their squad as I may once have been. Doesn’t need to be express, but a tall left armer or a sharpish swing bowler would definitely help. I agree with your point re: spinners, but damn if Australia isn’t an absolute graveyard for foreign spinners, even great ones.

Chase has a better FC average than Lyon, so he can't be a total Muppet.

First day. Let's not get too carried away.
Day 1 on a pitch with not much turn and being targeted by the opposition

Was never gonna be his day

Yeah I’m not as across their squad as I may once have been. Doesn’t need to be express, but a tall left armer or a sharpish swing bowler would definitely help. I agree with your point re: spinners, but damn if Australia isn’t an absolute graveyard for foreign spinners, even great ones.

In terms of spinners it's not really about getting wickets but tying an end down. We are fortunate having Lyon who just trundles in and goes at no more than 2 an over all day long, picks up a few wickets along the way as a bonus. In Australia more than other areas, variety is so critical, whether it be pace, arm (left/right), swing (you are correct here), or a spinner. At the moment the Windies have 5 blokes who bowl the same and a spinner who leaks runs

Day 1 on a pitch with not much turn and being targeted by the opposition

Was never gonna be his day

Sure, but going at a ODI economy isn't bowling well. He reminded me so much of Mark Craig (played for NZ a few years back). There's at least 1 if not two utter pies every over. Batsmen (especially good ones) will just see off the good ones and belt the rubbish.

In terms of spinners it's not really about getting wickets but tying an end down. We are fortunate having Lyon who just trundles in and goes at no more than 2 an over all day long, picks up a few wickets along the way as a bonus. In Australia more than other areas, variety is so critical, whether it be pace, arm (left/right), swing (you are correct here), or a spinner. At the moment the Windies have 5 blokes who bowl the same and a spinner who leaks runs
Not saying it needs to be heaps more than what you suggest, but even that seems to be a struggle for even the best of the best sometimes.

Reckon your selling Lyon a bi short there.

Not saying it needs to be heaps more than what you suggest, but even that seems to be a struggle for even the best of the best sometimes.

Reckon your selling Lyon a bit short there.

Lyon has become a great spinner, not into ranking spinners myself but his record speaks for itself. In terms of a pure off spinner he's up there. Personally I prefer watching Ashwin bowl for the variations but I can't fault Lyon's record it's brilliant.

Point is though the teams that do well in Australia have a spinner that haven't got belted. The Kookaburra ball whilst it's better is still rubbish for the middle 35 overs, you need spin or variety in that period. It doesn't really reverse swing in Australia that much.

Lyon has become a great spinner, not into ranking spinners myself but his record speaks for itself. In terms of a pure off spinner he's up there. Personally I prefer watching Ashwin bowl for the variations but I can't fault Lyon's record it's brilliant.

Point is though the teams that do well in Australia have a spinner that haven't got belted. The Kookaburra ball whilst it's better is still rubbish for the middle 35 overs, you need spin or variety in that period. It doesn't really reverse swing in Australia that much.
Completely agree, I’m just saying plenty have tried and failed, better spinners than the windies have even.

Completely agree, I’m just saying plenty have tried and failed, better spinners than the windies have even.

100% mate, not the easiest conditions to bowl spin. Mind you no different to our spinners going to India. It is sort of a common thing nowadays where teams are home town bullies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% mate, not the easiest conditions to bowl spin. Mind you no different to our spinners going to India. It is sort of a common thing nowadays where teams are home town bullies.
I find that Australian spinners try too hard in India, and as result loose their accuracy. You don’t need to have it turning sideways, use the pitch.

I find that Australian spinners try too hard in India, and as result loose their accuracy. You don’t need to have it turning sideways, use the pitch.

Also bowl too slow and it’s why I’m a fan of taking Kuhermann or Agar. Those types do well there. Lyon to be fair and it’s just a memory here did have a decent tour last time

Pretty predictable first day, we really look a class above the Windies, they actually didn't bowl too badly, but in our home conditions with quality bats, we're well on top. My interest in the match a lot lower, not fun watching Australia pound touring sides into the dirt summer after summer, no wonder nobody goes anymore.

Hope SA is a better fight.
We've lost series in 3 of the last 6 summers. Not sure how we're pounding touring sides into the dirt summer after summer.

People absolutely lost it when they lost those series too. We want competitive cricket where its a tight contest but Australia cant lose said contest.

one sided tests are s**t - we need the windies to make a game of it today and restrict us to 400 to make it interesting at any level.

It's also s**t if we start off the summer that way. Means that maybe some in the team can fill their boots with runs/wickets and keep their spot, then when we play someone decent (ie South Africa) we can get found out.

And how good was that pill from Holder yesterday to Marnus? * me don't even know if Tendulkar gets an edge on that.

We've lost series in 3 of the last 6 summers. Not sure how we're pounding touring sides into the dirt summer after summer.

People absolutely lost it when they lost those series too. We want competitive cricket where its a tight contest but Australia cant lose said contest.
You’re absolutely correct, I probably would be calling for McDonald to be sacked and half the side dropped if we’d lost, just wish the matches were a little more competitive, but we’ll see, still enjoying it.

On paper this West Indies side shouldn't be a bowler light but that's what it felt a bit like to me.
Maybe not a bowler light, but they're definitely lacking a point of difference. A left armer, a spin option to turn the ball away.

Holder and Mayer are different from each other and different from Seales and Roach, but Seales, Roach and Joseph are too similar to each other. If I were Braithwaite, I'd be bowling myself and Chase at alternates and telling Chase to get through his over quickly as opposed to trying to get wickets; drag out a Holder or Mayer over at the other end, rush through the slower bowling with a full in/out field. Make the batter feel that the pacers overs are going forever and the spin overs are gone in a flash. Try and keep Marnus on strike to deprive Smith or vice versa; play mindgames with the batters, because you're hardly going to get them another way.

Spend a six over burst at the beginning depriving Smith of the ball by bowling a full foot outside off, before giving him a single ball on off back a length for him to work on the leg side from Joseph or Roach rather than Seales or Holder (a bit faster). Play into his antsiness. Set an off/midwicket field to Labuschagne, and bowl nothing but leg cutters at middle stump.

There's still stuff they can try to do. This is a quality attack, and while Seales and Joseph are young Roach and Holder aren't.

Back