1st Test Australia v West Indies 30/11-4/12 1250hrs @ Perth Stadium

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Putting his batting aside so the Windies have another spinner? Surely you can’t go to Adelaide where you need one with Chase and his non threatening whatever’s being your main spinner? Is there another one in the squad?

Actually aside from Chase who bowled about as consistently as he usually does: ie. one boundary ball an over, for the first 65 overs of the day they were very consistent. On another day Khawaja’s edge early carries to Jason Holder, one of Labushagne’s many close calls before he’d reached 60-70 goes to hand and maybe Australia finish 5-6 down. Who knows. They were good enough to get through it and Labushagne in particular cashed in when things got a bit ragged as they tend to do late in the day when wickets are hard to come by.

You’d be hard pressed to say any of Roach, Joseph, Seales, Holder and Mayers bowled poorly across their first 3 spells

This WI attack has a couple of problems for mine:

1) Limited variety: All of their bowlers bar Chase are right-arm fast-medium/medium-fast bowlers. It makes them too easy to become accustomed to after an initial tricky period.

2) No real X-factor: Joseph is the fastest of their quicks, but he seemed to be more fast-medium than fast. Roach was genuinely quick in his early 20's, but that was a long time ago. It's much harder to win Tests in Australia without a genuine fast bowler. ENG had two in 2010/11 (Tremlett and Finn), SA obviously had them, IND had them on their last two tours (Shami, Yadav - even Bumrah was deceptively quick).

SA have significantly more variety and pace, so it'll be harder to get set against them unless they bowl rubbish and/or Maharaj gets collared (certainly possible with Jansen/Nortje, and even Rabada can be expensive).

This WI attack has a couple of problems for mine:

1) Limited variety: All of their bowlers bar Chase are right-arm fast-medium/medium-fast bowlers. It makes them too easy to become accustomed to after an initial tricky period.

2) No real X-factor: Joseph is the fastest of their quicks, but he seemed to be more fast-medium than fast. Roach was genuinely quick in his early 20's, but that was a long time ago. It's much harder to win Tests in Australia without a genuine fast bowler. ENG had two in 2010/11 (Tremlett and Finn), SA obviously had them, IND had them on their last two tours (Shami, Yadav - even Bumrah was deceptively quick).

SA have significantly more variety and pace, so it'll be harder to get set against them unless they bowl rubbish and/or Maharaj gets collared (certainly possible with Jansen/Nortje, and even Rabada can be expensive).

Oh absolutely and I must admit the absence of Gabriel was pretty stark today - he can genuinely bowl express when he gets a bee in his bonnet and his size and strength can take benign conditions out of the equation.
Holder’s best bowling has always been behind Roach and Gabriel as they each offered something, as far as right arm pace bowlers go, something different.

Seales and Roach in particular are very similar in their height, speed, and what they’re trying to do

Putting his batting aside so the Windies have another spinner? Surely you can’t go to Adelaide where you need one with Chase and his non threatening whatever’s being your main spinner? Is there another one in the squad?
Fairly sure I saw Windies with a leg spinner some time in last six to eighth months. Cannot remember his name. Not sure if he on tour but if going to pick spinner in Test side rather see the leg spinner than Chase in Aussie conditions.

Fairly sure I saw Windies with a leg spinner some time in last six to eighth months. Cannot remember his name. Not sure if he on tour but if going to pick spinner in Test side rather see the leg spinner than Chase in Aussie conditions.

Yep that’s the one I’m vaguely remembering but no idea the name.

Oh absolutely and I must admit the absence of Gabriel was pretty stark today - he can genuinely bowl express when he gets a bee in his bonnet and his size and strength can take benign conditions out of the equation.
Holder’s best bowling has always been behind Roach and Gabriel as they each offered something, as far as right arm pace bowlers go, something different.

Seales and Roach in particular are very similar in their height, speed, and what they’re trying to do

I was going to ask what happened to Gabriel - he was genuinely sharp and was more aggressive than Roach/Holder.

Then I discovered that he's nearing 35 and hasn't played Tests since 2021, so I'm guessing that injury did for him.

All I can think about watching today is that I can't wait to see Labuschagne and Smith bat in India and England again. The Australian cricket summer has become a little boring.

I was going to ask what happened to Gabriel - he was genuinely sharp and was more aggressive than Roach/Holder.

Then I discovered that he's nearing 35 and hasn't played Tests since 2021, so I'm guessing that injury did for him.

He played for T and T in the recent Super 50 (List A) competition in the Caribbean but had been injured prior to that. He might be a factor during their next few home series

Not at test level.

Gudakesh Motie was the most recent spinner to play five day cricket as a newcomer, he’s a left arm orthodox. Warrican and Cornwall were trading the spinner’s spot between them most of the last few years.

Devendra Bishoo was the last capable leg spinner we had

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually aside from Chase who bowled about as consistently as he usually does: ie. one boundary ball an over, for the first 65 overs of the day they were very consistent. On another day Khawaja’s edge early carries to Jason Holder, one of Labushagne’s many close calls before he’d reached 60-70 goes to hand and maybe Australia finish 5-6 down. Who knows. They were good enough to get through it and Labushagne in particular cashed in when things got a bit ragged as they tend to do late in the day when wickets are hard to come by.

You’d be hard pressed to say any of Roach, Joseph, Seales, Holder and Mayers bowled poorly across their first 3 spells
Good summary.

At lunch, it could have gone either way. West Indies beat the bat reasonably often but once Australia got on top, they couldn't fight back.

Not fair really to kick the Windies, they bowled well in patches without luck. They are a young side with an inexperienced attack bowling on a good batting wicket.

Definitely a bat first wicket, the contrast will look stark as it will be starting to break up a bit when Australia get the ball and the Windies batting line up is far weaker than ours

Crazy reading how many hear are saying they bowled terribly i thought they were decent today we had fair bit of luck could easily have been one of those 5 or 6 for 280 days, as others pointed out windies badly need somebody other than chase though he isnt a containing bowler or a wicket taker almost seems like his role is relief bowler and to fix the over rates.

Crazy reading how many hear are saying they bowled terribly i thought they were decent today we had fair bit of luck could easily have been one of those 5 or 6 for 280 days, as others pointed out windies badly need somebody other than chase though he isnt a containing bowler or a wicket taker almost seems like his role is relief bowler and to fix the over rates.
To be fair Chase has performed well as of late bowled well when they went to England. Most foreign spinners struggle here

Pretty predictable first day, we really look a class above the Windies, they actually didn't bowl too badly, but in our home conditions with quality bats, we're well on top. My interest in the match a lot lower, not fun watching Australia pound touring sides into the dirt summer after summer, no wonder nobody goes anymore.

Hope SA is a better fight.

Pretty predictable first day, we really look a class above the Windies, they actually didn't bowl too badly, but in our home conditions with quality bats, we're well on top. My interest in the match a lot lower, not fun watching Australia pound touring sides into the dirt summer after summer, no wonder nobody goes anymore.

Hope SA is a better fight.
I find it enjoyable, This is a competent Windies team. I don't think it is just beating up some some awful team. Besides it is fun watching some greats show why they are are so good. Sam way that i find it fun watching my AFL team win by 10 goals or NRL team win by 40.

I find it enjoyable, This is a competent Windies team. I don't think it is just beating up some some awful team. Besides it is fun watching some greats show why they are are so good. Sam way that i find it fun watching my AFL team win by 10 goals or NRL team win by 40.

I find these sorts of test matches way more enjoyable than one sided footy matches personally. Nothing better than relaxing by the pool or the beach on a nice summers day, listening to Australia pile on the runs on the radio. Bliss.

Windies will need to put the brakes on a rampant Australia today unless they fancy chasing the match from here. Everyone will tell you dont bowl short in Perth, apparently the Windies bowling coach wasn't listening as that is precisely what their bowlers did yesterday. Our boys must have safely let go at least half of all deliveries bowled. While Seales and Chase went for about five an over the best for the Windies attack were medium pacers Jason Holder and Kyle Mayers.. the latter's ball that cleaned up a set Ussie the best of the day for mine.

Windies will need to put the brakes on a rampant Australia today unless they fancy chasing the match from here. Everyone will tell you dont bowl short in Perth, apparently the Windies bowling coach wasn't listening as that is precisely what their bowlers did yesterday. Our boys must have safely let go at least half of all deliveries bowled. While Seales and Chase went for about five an over the best for the Windies attack were medium pacers Jason Holder and Kyle Mayers.. the latter's ball that cleaned up a set Ussie the best of the day for mine.
No love for the gem that Holder released to start the second last over?

Back