NFL 2005 NFL - Week 1

Choice game, who'll win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: NFL Betting - Week One

Detroit are very young remember that, we have an experienced side and even though Barnett is only in his 3rd season as a pro is probably in the top 3 or 4 Linebackers in the league.

Well see Monday morning wont we kids. Take my tip guys.

tige19 said:
Detroit are very young remember that, we have an experienced side and even though Barnett is only in his 3rd season as a pro is probably in the top 3 or 4 Linebackers in the league.

Well see Monday morning wont we kids. Take my tip guys.

Love the comedy show.

Ray Lewis... Urlacher... Zach Thomas... Brooks... Bulluck... Donnie Edwards... Fletcher... Peterson... Brooking... Al Wilson...Spikes... Trotter... Morgan... Vilma... etc etc...

Barnett surprised a few ppl in his first year... done not much improving since. Dont live on it!

Where is the experience? Other than Favre (experienced interception thrower), Henderson (haha) and Green (experienced fumbler).... the pack are falling to pieces.

Go the Lions...they will go deep and often, not that they need to because Kevin Jones will get yards at will.

Meanwhile Dre Bly... Kennoy Kennedy... Fernando Byant... and Terrance Holt will cream your WR's.

Heck I wouldnt be surprised if Eddie Drummond even returns a few kicks the distance.

Doesnt look good at all... how much are Detroit going for? haha

Re: Week 1 Discussion

Game Discussions

- Kerry looked very sluggish in the 2nd half, focusing on Moss too much. Often Moss had 3 defenders on him
- Jordan will be better for the run, he cramped up in the 2nd half
- Raiders got screwed with penalties (something like 16 for 149 yds) but you get used to that as a Raiders fan
- Moss can play...but we all knew that

On defense
- Run D was suprsingly good (although mayve suprising is not the best word with the weight we have up front). At once stage Dillon was 11 on 11 carries, and ended up with about 60ish from 21 carries
- Brady was tearing it up. For those that don't know, for reasons known only to the Raiders coaching staff the Raiders have at LB
Converted DE Grant Irons
Danny Clark
Converted DE Tyler Brayton (who was a DT in college!)

Irons and Brayton had 1-1 tackles between them :confused:

Kirk Morrision, a rook, (#52 for those who saw the game), played pretty well and had 10 tackles.

Woodson was as solid as ever, had 1 pass completed on him to Brown for 3 or 4 yards, but he got no help in covergae at all

danielz_23 said:
Love the comedy show.

Ray Lewis... Urlacher... Zach Thomas... Brooks... Bulluck... Donnie Edwards... Fletcher... Peterson... Brooking... Al Wilson...Spikes... Trotter... Morgan... Vilma... etc etc...

Barnett surprised a few ppl in his first year... done not much improving since. Dont live on it!

Where is the experience? Other than Favre (experienced interception thrower), Henderson (haha) and Green (experienced fumbler).... the pack are falling to pieces.

Go the Lions...they will go deep and often, not that they need to because Kevin Jones will get yards at will.

Meanwhile Dre Bly... Kennoy Kennedy... Fernando Byant... and Terrance Holt will cream your WR's.

Heck I wouldnt be surprised if Eddie Drummond even returns a few kicks the distance.

Doesnt look good at all... how much are Detroit going for? haha

Where is the Pack experience?? are you kidding me?? and who is the one providing the comedy here???? you crack me up mate.

Favre,Green,Diggs,Tauscher,Harris,Flanagan,Clifton,Jackson,Driver and the best crunch kicker going around Ryan Longwell and you ask me where our experience is ?

Dre Bly is overated and if he decided to play Javon Walker one on one Javon will catch 3tds for the match, Bly is to small to Javon is to big it is a match made in heaven for Favre and Sherman. Get it deep and in the air to one on ones with Detroits ********y small corners, we will have a ball all afternoon.

And i invite Kevin Williams to run straight at Diggs and Barnett all afternoon and watching him come off on a stretcher midway through the first will be eye candy at its best.

I dont mind Detroit, they are like Dallas there young quick and inexperienced but they are playing a very proffesional team, youth and speed only provide so much.

I love the bit about Detroits corners killing our WRs a real informed comment that one was.

For someone who claims to have an indepth knowledge of Football you truely are dieing with credability.

danielz_23 said:
which... although not a good team last year, still beat Green Bay I recall.

Your recollection fails you...we beat'em twice. ;)

38-10 at the Silverdome even...

The Lions will get done again. Get on the Pack.

Said it before, will say it again, but until Harrington is gone, they won't beat us... or anyone decent. Not sure how Jones will go either without Schlesinger in the backfield. Time will tell.

I won't get into the arguing, but Tige probably overrates us, Danielz, you definitely underrate us.

Don't start on Henderson either, possibly the best FB of the past decade. If it wasn't for the overrated and over hyped Alstott, the league would know that.

Entertaining first half to watch... second half not so much... but what can ya do.

Brady was sharp all night.

Moss looked good. It was actually enjoyable to watch him now that he's not playing the the Queens. Hell, he nearly outplayed three defenders a couple of times too.

Cha-ching, $50 clear. So Swans. Couldn't have asked for a more nailbiting multibet though, Raiders/Patsies by .5 points and Sydney by 3 with 10 seconds left. :p

Thinking about reinvesting some of it into the Minnesota -6 line.

fuey said:
Your recollection fails you...we beat'em twice. ;)

38-10 at the Silverdome even...

The Lions will get done again. Get on the Pack.

Said it before, will say it again, but until Harrington is gone, they won't beat us... or anyone decent. Not sure how Jones will go either without Schlesinger in the backfield. Time will tell.

I won't get into the arguing, but Tige probably overrates us, Danielz, you definitely underrate us.

Don't start on Henderson either, possibly the best FB of the past decade. If it wasn't for the overrated and over hyped Alstott, the league would know that.

Fuey i dont overrate us at all, i just think we can handle Detroit as we have done for many years now.

I expect a 8-8 or a 9-7 season and at best a wild card berth, our D while has improved is still short of the mark in most areas besided LB. Our Corners are either to slow, to small or struggle to play anyone half descent 1 on 1. The amount of time Carrol gets the pass interference or holding called on him is ridiciulos, and our 3rd corner Joey Thomas looks like his running around in a jungle on the zone, he would be the worst zone defender in the league, however he is one of our best atheletes and could yet become a descent corner.

Our SPs are the worst in the league, and thats somewhere we have to improve dramatically, but in heindsight when has our SPs been any good??

I dont think we will be contenders nor do i think Detroit will be, i reckon we will handle them easily.

tige19 said:
Fuey i dont overrate us at all, i just think we can handle Detroit as we have done for many years now.

Fair enough mate, I was probably referring more to the Barnett being top 3 or 4, as I disagree, and should've been more clear.

But your above summation is pretty much spot on, except for the Special Teams bit. Not the best, but far from the worst. Wouldn't have anyone other than Longwell, Sander has improved out of sight, the coverage teams weren't that bad during PS, and we just need some decent returns, which we do sometimes, just not often enough.

And Detroit has only beaten us once in the past five years! :D

From raiderfans.net

When the flag came on Zack's back to back run it ended. Took our momentum from second and short to an 18 yard for a first scenario.

We were running downhill well.

Just a few plays different. Don't try screens- they let Vrabel tackle anyone not with the ball near him, and the other end as well. They've established that style. Only way to do it is to down block their spy and switch routes with someone and Curry usually does that. His first lead block he got a flag and ruined the screen we use with him on the same action. Also when you get a flag early the next go round they give the other team the benefit of doubt. We expect that, and just have to excel and overcome that with superior play.

He never really got on the same page with Kerry. When he does we'll be righteous... they doubled Porter a lot he still read down routes and got some solid catches. Moss read the coverage and adjusted routes well too. The TD was a matter of concentration, great stick-with-the-play action.

We had a drop end a drive on the under pass to Randy, he was frustrated but stayed focused on routes afterwards. Just a small margin you get on the road.

Might as well subtract five yards every punt with the league's new rule. Lechler being out a bit hurt the timing a hair, but his punts were great again.

The Seabass field goal was on offense using that screen an LJ getting tackled. He needs to take the route up hard and drive the cover off, if the coverage settles he should take it up field and they lob it or go hot route... it was an expected call for the situation and they were on it.

Takes a lot of timing to work that in(check the route up) and the team has to be on the same page. Maybe we work that in at home first.

The first drive was so damned sharp. The adjustment was to double out and grab anyone coming off the line and even tackle them within 2 yards of the line either side.

They used a lot of line stunts on the interior and edge, for the most part they held up well, it was just their fresh rotations let the starters get a good push going into quarter three when we were in longer yardage penalty situations.

When Kerry finds number three we'll be fine. He had trouble with Curry and the pass rush needed a bit more help.

Moss ran a sweet rout for Courtney's TD. He went in a yard early of the route, the extra step in made the safety sink lower and gave Courtney deep room , he left himself room to catch and still got the route flat enough to be in control. Moss's early break created seperation at the next level of depth on that side of the field.

The Moss drop short was made an issue when LJ bounced outside- he had a huge hole up the middle and went stretch with it... one time is all it takes to change your odds of success per drive. Trust your teammates and hit the hole hard they expected you to go counter all game and bounce out.

In time this will be great. He needed that one big play touch to swing it close. The Swing pass had corners rotating up. Trying the slot overload look had the TE getting jammed after the first drive. Wanted to see us go slot side and lead an out with the end sinking into the slot's cover.We did it easy in preseason. Collin's arm on the left side for that is a given.

Collins in the pocket so much set up their coverage. We need a few too plays or the slot guy(Curry, Moss) to take a few reps and make teams look edge. Hard to do that w/motion on the road.

It's just a matter of time when we work three back in at full speed and this will help the line settle down. Got to get the front five set as well. More downhill running, the Chiefs front four is much lower a level of ability than what was faced. Their back seven has so many new faces that Oakland needs to see this first game and get a feel for what will happen.

LJ got to the corner on that pass play. Sweet yards after catch! Let's work him upfield or outside more off the pass. Get plays where LJ hits stride instead of waiting on the ball, it played to their slow edge backers...

Nnamdi needs to go ahead and establish his play, he was on his toes but still not using his big frame on the player's release enough.

Ryan missed some packages- got caught in wrong groupings several times, showed pure zone a bunch pre snap, had young LB get baited hard counts to show the rotation, and had a nickle package to a dime sets along with 12 on the field. Someone said 12 of the field wasn't. Norv should have challenged the damned call if that was the case.

Let them get on the rush in four sets. Warren was yelling all get out upfield we had him spooked for a few series but we stayed in 8 drops too long before then. Sapp called the quick count on the fourth and one and helped push the blockers into Dillon. Sit a LB on his hip to fell when Warren moves from his quick take on the snap and let that guy stunt in concert w/Warren.

Let's watch the Chiefs. We put CWood at safety a few, he rocked in run force. It also made them avoid Watson, our coverage on/around him was much better the second half he was a primary read from straight sets. A lot fot he Watson looks we'll see with Gonzo, and even more so in Tony's case.

There's a long season ahead. The Pats start cold usually, to start hot is a new level for them. So this team's got a lot ahead of it in this season and must exceed the previous marks others set recently...

Norv will have them back sharper.

fuey said:

Totally agree.

However Tige completely overrates your team...which is a shell of what it used to be... so to make a point I have to be just as exuberant in my comments.

Every team has experience like what tige listed, geez, thats just stupid. You dont have any advantage there... its the same as 31 other teams in the competition, if not less!

Diggs is questionable by the way. Your LB corps is potentially the worst in the league... but you dotn have to take my word for it. Barnett a 1st round pick who has earned a starting spot... nothing more, he isnt exceptional at what he does... and you can hola about him not having any help but I cant see the argument.. only excuses.

Im still laughing about your Kevin Jones (or williams so you say) challenge. Your biggest weakness... one of there biggest strengths and you say that... anyway... gota go

But we will see monday anyway.

Dude for a guy of 24 like Barnett to shoulder the burden of carrying a defense has its strains, he is now our best defender and has to improve that little bit more now that Navies is gone and so is Thompson (who i genuinly thought was great option to partner Barnett).

The Barnett neing in the top 4 or 5 LBs in the league was a huge call but i think this season he could breakout similiur to his rookie season. Barnett will have to make 9 tackles a game with our D and while young it will take its toll on him.

I dont think our is very good but i do think its good enough to handle Detroit and there throw away QB Harrington.

28-24 win to the Pack, will see Monday lads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DonAce said:
Wow, the NE/Raiders game was a nailbiter, got the line by .5 points, don't think I wasn't cursing when that punt got blocked. Now for the Swans to do their part.

Obviously celebrating hard... that is the rudest bet I've ever come across. (well not really)

to win by .5 on the under/over.... with Vinetari missing a PAT.... and then the Swans... need I say more. haha. nice work. congrads

fuey said:
Gonna put $10 on Jets-Jags-Bolts-Pack @ 11s.

Let's hope for a good betting year for all!

Guys, If you are going to punt on the games steer clear of tab sportsbet. They give you unders every time. The pick four taken by Fuey at $11.00 is a classic example. On sportingbet.com.au the odds for the games are Jets $2.2, Jags $1.59, Bolts $2.3 & Packers are $2.4. If you multi those four games you would get $19.30 for each dollar. I am sure there are other sites around too that would give you far better odd than the TAB. I used sportingbet as an example as they sponser big footy. Another great thing about sportingbet is that you can create your own multi's. I use it often for the baseball.

Hotel 6 said:
Guys, If you are going to punt on the games steer clear of tab sportsbet. They give you unders every time. The pick four taken by Fuey at $11.00 is a classic example. On sportingbet.com.au the odds for the games are Jets $2.2, Jags $1.59, Bolts $2.3 & Packers are $2.4. If you multi those four games you would get $19.30 for each dollar. I am sure there are other sites around too that would give you far better odd than the TAB. I used sportingbet as an example as they sponser big footy. Another great thing about sportingbet is that you can create your own multi's. I use it often for the baseball.

Totally agree there. But I see the side of it where you can go to your local and just pay cash and receive your winnings in cash rather than everything being electronic.

I use Centrebet... because I found that first and have had no problems with it. You may as well multi up four of the games your most confident in rather than the four they pick. The Bolts at $2.30?

I've had my play for the weekend... Gone for a boxed multi (= a combination of any of the correct picks)... with seven picks... playing the fours, fives, sixes, and sevens.... no banker.

Indianapolis -3
St Louis -5.5
Kansas City -3
Minnesota -6
Denver -4.5
Carolina -7
Atlanta Win.

Dont realistically expect to win... something always goes wrong, haha. But its a bit of fun. Hopefully I get a few right. Not really hardcore enough to just bet single bets... have to lay out too much to win anything worthy.

I've been looking at the american sports books and they have books for how many yards players will get and head to head vs other players... such as with the AFL. Seems great... but too much hassle getting the money back and forward I reckon (that is if you win, haha).

Well guys let the games begin... cant wait to get up in the morning and discover what surprises have gone down!

marcuz said:
I had a little nibble on dallas at sportingbet at nearly $3 or 2/1 whatever way you read your odds. Even though i expect san diego to win it is the first round and upsets happen all the time. No to mention Antonio Gates will be missing so a huge part of their offense especially in the red zone will be missing.

:D

Good to see the Lions bitchslap the packers also a game which i also profited from. ;)

Re: NFL Betting Wk #1 - Paydirt !!

BURNT by the flippin' silence of the Lambs. :mad: But back up insurance on other games, notably my Unders for the Wash/Chic(33), Buff/Hou(39) along with Euro soccer games assured I come up $286 net profit ahead ($80 invested) :p . Had those lambs beaten the -5.5 spread, I would've claimed an $500 extra !!

Super start, now, will have to pull my head in. :p

Oh when the Saints . . .
cabbagepatch.gif

:thumbsu:

rotten day on many fronts here.... so called 'locks'... in my opinion anyway. St Louis... Minnesota... Denver...

I was concerned about Carolina... thought there would be a cinderella story soughta thing with the Saints.

Kansas City look extremely good. 2 excellent RBs... Green... Gonzalez and a defence that almost shut out the Jets (not that I rate that as a great achievement, sorry jet fans)

Lucky that I had warmed to the giants, colts and kansas city... but unfortunatley I had those first three tied into a lot.

What I've learnt today:

* Ben Roethlisberger has the best job in the league as QB in Pittsburgh. They just give any ol guy the ball to rack up 200+ yds... and Ben just has to pass the ball 12 odd times for a comfy win.

* Larry Fitzgerald may be fastly appoaching Moss and Owens status? Same could be said for Roy Williams but they dont open it up in Detroit!!

* The Bills defence is going to be extremely nasty!

* Nothing is certain (ie. St Louis and Minnesota)... however I learn that every year but forget it by the start of a new season, haha.

* I should have trusted my instincts and loaded up on Jimmy Smith, McCardell, and Rod Smith... they may be old and have less flair than the other guys but they continue to produce.

* I was right about Detroit winning... but im sure we can stay posted for excuses to come?... ;) just picking... i can afford to with Dallas getting up!

But... its only week 1, and everything could turn on its head next week.

oh and who the hell is Frisman Jackson!!! haha

The games last night burnt me a bit, but the Bears went damn close. Put a cover bet on Indy today that has made up my losses. $50 up for the weekend, 2 bets won, 2 lost.

Anyone getting on Philly/Atlanta? I think I might stay away from it.

Back