Remove this Banner Ad

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Adelaide Strikers
Emma Quayle, The Age's resident expert on the AFL draft, predicts how tonight's opening round may pan out.

RICHMOND
BRANDON ELLIS
VITAL INFORMATION From Calder Cannons, 18, 181cm, 83kg. Backline desperado who kicks beautifully.
THE RATIONALE A good kid, a tough kid and a kid who can kick. The Tigers need to keep bringing skill in, and he has it.
BEST-LAID PLANS He's likely to be there, but if not someone such as Sam Docherty, Nick Haynes or Hayden Crozier could squeeze out of the first 14.

RICHMOND
BRAD McKENZIE
VITAL INFORMATION From Sturt, 18, 188cm, 76kg. A super-smart utility with one of the best kicks in the draft.
THE RATIONALE He's another highly skilled player the Tigers could slip into their side.
BEST-LAID PLANS WA forward Shane Kersten, if available, could come into play here.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/2011-national-draft-round-1-20111123-1nv8y.html#ixzz1eXIVKbBp

Emma Quayle, The Age's resident expert on the AFL draft, predicts how tonight's opening round may pan out.

RICHMOND
BRANDON ELLIS
VITAL INFORMATION From Calder Cannons, 18, 181cm, 83kg. Backline desperado who kicks beautifully.
THE RATIONALE A good kid, a tough kid and a kid who can kick. The Tigers need to keep bringing skill in, and he has it.
BEST-LAID PLANS He's likely to be there, but if not someone such as Sam Docherty, Nick Haynes or Hayden Crozier could squeeze out of the first 14.

The HUN has Docherty as - "LATE MAIL Rubbing their hands together at the prospect of securing Gippsland Power defender Sam Docherty, the most potent right-foot kick in the draft."

Also said -

WHAT IT NEEDS Finally the Tigers have a balanced list, having recruited a host of key talls and bolstered their midfield stocks. Damien Hardwick loves contested-ball machines, but do they need more outside run to complement Dustin Martin, Trent Cotchin and co? Finally the Tigers have a solid track record at the recruiting table, so recruiting truism - "best available" - actually fits this time.

WHAT IT MIGHT GET Having already taken small defender Steve Morris and ruckman Ivan Maric in the trade period, the Tigers have picks 15, 26 and 55 left. Given GWS needs to secure some talls with its early picks, the Tigers are likely to go for the best remaining midfielder. Collingwood's John McCarthy is a lock in the pre-season draft.

Me thinks that the HUN has picked up on the chatter here and on Twitter that linked us to Kersten and as normal has run with it as a possibility.

less than 24 hours before the draft - I doubt they are scanning bigfooty mate.

I hope you get him - Griffiths and Reiwvoldt combined it could be a very strong and balanced combo :thumbsu:

less than 24 hours before the draft - I doubt they are scanning bigfooty mate.

I hope you get him - Griffiths and Reiwvoldt combined it could be a very strong and balanced combo :thumbsu:

...and Vickery!

i personally think we should go for that Sam Docherty, but the real reason for my post is that i really do agree with the Phantom Draft put together on the AFL website, i would love for our club to have a crack at addam maric, we need a small forward who can kick goals - and plenty of them.

maric as a junior @ greenvale and at TAC level kicked bags and bags of goals. he could if he gets his head right add another dimension up forward for us.

we have got rid of mitch morton which means htere is space for a small-mid forward. nahas spent more time running through the middle this year so it is a big gap for us to fill

add maric along with Vicks, jack, griffiths (hopefully comes good) and dusty, resting up forward - wow

:thumbsu:I like the idea of taking Kersten at pick 15. I'm a big rap for the West Coast Eagles and think their forward line with Le Cras, Kennedy, darling and Lynch (and sometimes Nick Nat or Cox) has a lot of firepower to kick a winning score.
A forward line of Riewoldt, Vickery, Kersten and Martin when there looks plenty potent!

:thumbsu:I like the idea of taking Kersten at pick 15. I'm a big rap for the West Coast Eagles and think their forward line with Le Cras, Kennedy, darling and Lynch (and sometimes Nick Nat or Cox) has a lot of firepower to kick a winning score.
A forward line of Riewoldt, Vickery, Kersten and Martin when there looks plenty potent!

So where does that leave Griffiths? We've been waiting for this guy to be the big power forward to dominate at half forward. Picking up Kersten says to me that they're not sure if Griffith can come good?

If we take Kerstern then I hope we take a pure mid like Grigg at 26.

Personally I am hoping for Docherty/Adams or Kavanagh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So where does that leave Griffiths? We've been waiting for this guy to be the big power forward to dominate at half forward. Picking up Kersten says to me that they're not sure if Griffith can come good?

Agree with you here.

We already have two big strong pillars in Riewoldt/Vikcery and really don't need a third but we have it in Griffiths as a backup. Now we are drafting another power forward.

Firstly, it will mean competition for spots - just may bring the best out in Griffiths, who to this point has not shown a lot.
Secondly, we can't keep waiting for Griffiths body to heal. He's been on the list two years now and played sparingly, predominantly because of injuries. Not lost on me that we took a major punt on drafting Griffiths. He was injured at the time we drafted him, had plenty of history in that regard at junior level and has missed the bulk of two years through injury since. Yes, there's plenty of hype about Griff, but he is nowhere near living up to it and there's no guarantee he'll ever be right.
I look at at it this way. Did West Coast really need Jack Darling when they had Le Cras, Lynch and Kennedy (with help from Cox and Natanui)? Yet they took a punt and darling strenghtens them considerably and adds another dimension. Kersten is a similar 191cm to Darling.
Competition for spots is a good thing .... waiting around for Griffiths to hopefully heal and come good is a bad ploy!
I'll put this scenario to you .... Griffiths has a third season similar to years one and two and one of Riewoldt or Vickery goes down with injury too, for argument's sake Jack. Would you feel comfortable with a forward line of Vickery and Miller or Vickery and Post or Astbury who have been defenders? Kersten would be a pretty handy guy to have around.

Just reading a bit from the Benny Gale interview today and when asked about fev he said, apart from not being in our plans, we have enough forward options. So where does this leave the Kersten rumours?

Now im not agreeing or disagreeing with Benny but is that the general feel inside the club or more draft games.

I guess it all depends on how good Kersten is too.

Firstly, it will mean competition for spots - just may bring the best out in Griffiths, who to this point has not shown a lot.
Secondly, we can't keep waiting for Griffiths body to heal. He's been on the list two years now and played sparingly, predominantly because of injuries. Not lost on me that we took a major punt on drafting Griffiths. He was injured at the time we drafted him, had plenty of history in that regard at junior level and has missed the bulk of two years through injury since. Yes, there's plenty of hype about Griff, but he is nowhere near living up to it and there's no guarantee he'll ever be right.
I look at at it this way. Did West Coast really need Jack Darling when they had Le Cras, Lynch and Kennedy (with help from Cox and Natanui)? Yet they took a punt and darling strenghtens them considerably and adds another dimension. Kersten is a similar 191cm to Darling.
Competition for spots is a good thing .... waiting around for Griffiths to hopefully heal and come good is a bad ploy!
I'll put this scenario to you .... Griffiths has a third season similar to years one and two and one of Riewoldt or Vickery goes down with injury too, for argument's sake Jack. Would you feel comfortable with a forward line of Vickery and Miller or Vickery and Post or Astbury who have been defenders? Kersten would be a pretty handy guy to have around.

I'm all competition for spots, but when you use pick 19 on a guy - you have to put your faith in him and back him in. Yes he's not shown much yet, but he's only been on the list 2 years and still has a lot of developing to do - he's a big bloke. they take time don't they... I just think we have put our eggs in the Griffiths basket, he deserves a crack at it this year... And in saying that, I'd prefer us to use our pick 15 on a quality mid. If we get injuries to Jack or Vickery, that's when a Post of Astbury can stand up.

After the last few drafts I have complete faith in our recruiting department, if we take this Shane Kersten then I consider him the best available.

It's a good feeling not having to worry about draft picks.

FJ and co. are doing a great job.

We have gone well even before tonight has commenced getting Morris and Maric.

Just reading a bit from the Benny Gale interview today and when asked about fev he said, apart from not being in our plans, we have enough forward options. So where does this leave the Kersten rumours?

Now im not agreeing or disagreeing with Benny but is that the general feel inside the club or more draft games.

I guess it all depends on how good Kersten is too.
He also mentioned that "it depends if they drop" when referring to our first pick - makes me think they have a sliding mid-fielder in mind???

It's a good feeling not having to worry about draft picks.

FJ and co. are doing a great job.

We have gone well even before tonight has commenced getting Morris and Maric.
2009 draft , trading period , rookie or psd
Taylor, Roberts, Hislop, Nason , Farmer
Only one hit from 2009 , IMHO , Greg Miller and Terry Wallace would have picked Dustin Martin .
Let's not get to excited !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back