2012 Dream Team season musings

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Has anyone heard any whispers on what Dreamteam is going to be like next year?

So round 1 as a warm up, league games start from round 2???

It would also be nice to have an option to have a smaller league and play some/most teams twice.....

Re: Has anyone heard any whispers on what Dreamteam is going to be like next year?

Just leave it as 16 teams in a league I reckon

A squad of 38 players and four rookies. All working under the same rules as an AFL club. No trades........... just your initially selected squad. Rookies elevated for long term injuries. This would separate the true football 'coaches' from the 'auto fills' and 'pimp my siders'. Just an idea.

If I was a betting man, I would say it will be 22 rounds with two split rounds. ;)

We get the point Warnie....You like a punt! :D

I will glad to see the back of these "Bye" rounds thats for sure :thumbsu:

The salary cap will reflect what the salary cap is in the AFL. 30 players, two reserves spot in each position. 20 trades and most likely 18 teams in a public/private league.

At a guess ;)

18 team leagues
22 rounds with 2 split
30 players, 2 subs in each position
No byes
Salary cap aligned to AFL collective bargaining agreement (as always)

AFL CBA not established as yet but you would imagine with TV rights it will be a solid increase, hence a higher cap for DT. Would need an increase in the MN to offset this.

20 trades for 24 rounds should make the game a bit tougher (eg: not everyone has "perfect" sides from round 14)

This year everyone seems to have the same players and from very early on in the year.

Goddard, Gibbs, Deledio, Broughton, Enright, Shaw/now suckling, Scottland/Fisher

Ablett, Murphy, Boyd, Pendlebury, Swan, Mitchell (been very popular amongst the top ranks)

Cox, Z.Smith

Chapman, SJ, Goodes, Fyfe, Riewoldt, Petrie, Sylvia/ROK/Pavlich

The midfield and rucks have almost been exactly what is mentioned above, some have been able to get Mcevoy in for Sandilands. While the backs have almost been exactly the same with maybe one different player to other teams backs. The forwards have had a little bit of difference but usually only 2-3 players max.

It seems a lot of teams have been able to get this "perfect team" very early on (rounds 12-15) sit with 3-5 trades with very good backup on the bench and change in rankings seems to have stopped or be aligned to who you have missing due to the bye rather than uniqueness amongst teams.

Next year hopefully this "perfect team" i talk of is almost impossible to get to and that coaches have to pick a few more midpricers from the start as potential keepers. The difference between teams seems to have gone, unless your willing to take risk to be different which usually ends up being the wrong decision anyway and knowingly wrong.

Why will it be 24 rounds? I see no reason why it won't be 22 as per usual.

Dogs and Warnie seem to think they know and they are saying

22 rounds with 2 split rounds

I personally dont see it being 22 round because there are 18 teams now and a team that plays 4 top teams twice gets a real disadvantage.

Is this the place to ask about player positional changes?

How do they go about deciding this?

Who are the players who will be changed?

From Port, I think Hamish Hartlett should be given a BAC/MID link, and considering his relatively decent DT year, he could be worth a look as a back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"The 18-team, 22-round competition will mean teams face only five other teams twice in the home and away season, down from six in 2011 and seven in 2010."

Does this mean that interstate teams have next to no chance of playing collingwood / carlton / richmond / geelong / essendon twice ?

I mean, surely above 5 teams will play each other twice...

So VIC teams will travel even less ?

So collingwood will probably only have to travel 4 times next year - once to each of WA, SA, QLD, and NSW...

It was always going to be 22 rounds (ie. 22 games). DWD, we have had split rounds in the past - last year for example - and it was 22 rounds with 1 split round going over 23 weeks. So, no different to any other year.

Is this the place to ask about player positional changes?

How do they go about deciding this?

Who are the players who will be changed?

From Port, I think Hamish Hartlett should be given a BAC/MID link, and considering his relatively decent DT year, he could be worth a look as a back.

It's all a bit random. For example Sam Gilbert plays half a game up forward last year and is named as a forward. :confused:

One thing I think we'll see next year is far more Forward/Rucks.

Probably never gonna happen but I'd love to see 6 backs and fwds with 8 mids, more reflective of the modern game and with so many mids more chance to differentiate teams in the M5 to M 8 positions

Probably never gonna happen but I'd love to see 6 backs and fwds with 8 mids, more reflective of the modern game and with so many mids more chance to differentiate teams in the M5 to M 8 positions

I agree. Even further:

Mids: 8 field + 3 bench
Backs: 6 field + 2 bench
Fwds: 6 field + 2 bench
Rucks: 2 field + 1 bench

What team honestly plays four ruckmen? Or even three for that matter?

The midfield and rucks have almost been exactly what is mentioned above, some have been able to get Mcevoy in for Sandilands. While the backs have almost been exactly the same with maybe one different player to other teams backs. The forwards have had a little bit of difference but usually only 2-3 players max.

It seems a lot of teams have been able to get this "perfect team" very early on (rounds 12-15) sit with 3-5 trades with very good backup on the bench and change in rankings seems to have stopped or be aligned to who you have missing due to the bye rather than uniqueness amongst teams.

Next year hopefully this "perfect team" i talk of is almost impossible to get to and that coaches have to pick a few more midpricers from the start as potential keepers. The difference between teams seems to have gone, unless your willing to take risk to be different which usually ends up being the wrong decision anyway and knowingly wrong.
why do you want it harder when you make multiple teams:confused::confused:

I agree. Even further:

Mids: 8 field + 3 bench
Backs: 6 field + 2 bench
Fwds: 6 field + 2 bench
Rucks: 2 field + 1 bench

What team honestly plays four ruckmen? Or even three for that matter?

I really like this setup. I was already thinking about next year and have thought of so many mids i want, being able to select 11 would be great and as dogs said would be a better reflection of the current game.

why do you want it harder when you make multiple teams:confused::confused:

Well known that i have one team this year and that will be the case next year. Sour grapes?

This would be awesome. Could even see a few 3000+ scores.

This would be awesome. Could even see a few 3000+ scores.

Maybe in supercoach, but I'm not sure a DT could feasibly get 3K points. You'd need the avg score of all the players in the team to be 130-odd, captain included. What's the world record DT score for one round?

It's all a bit random. For example Sam Gilbert plays half a game up forward last year and is named as a forward. :confused:

One thing I think we'll see next year is far more Forward/Rucks.

And yet GAJ gets 40-odd goals from resting up forward (IIRC), and he's not a FWD/MID DPP. Did virtual sports think that'd be too broken? :D

Maybe in supercoach, but I'm not sure a DT could feasibly get 3K points. You'd need the avg score of all the players in the team to be 130-odd, captain included. What's the world record DT score for one round?

And yet GAJ gets 40-odd goals from resting up forward (IIRC), and he's not a FWD/MID DPP. Did virtual sports think that'd be too broken? :D

If you had 8 starting mids all averaging 110+ and one less back and forward, with your B6 & F6 averaging 95+ 3000 would be possible. Would need your Captain to score 175+ though. One in a million, but possible. Imagine the bragging rights you would have if your team cracked 3000?

Ablett should have been a M/F this year. Had enough TOG in the forwards last year to qualify. Was selected as a forward more often than not IIRC. Certainly fit the M/F criteria more than 50% of the mids who were given a DP link this year, based on last season at least....

Would be good if you could have the option to make it have less coaches... and then just by luck of the draw - like the real thing - can play others off twice in a season. Ideally, I would like a league of 10, so you play each other twice from Rd 1 and then play off for finals as normal. (Like DT Pro).

That is a geniius idea actually!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back