Draft Review 2014 - Redo the 2014 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I think McCartin was the right pick.

We drafted him a year before Bruce exploded and 2 years before Membrey did. At the time of the draft we had Riewoldt and then endless question marks about who was going to play FF/CHF.

We had also seen the Dogs trade their captain and a top 6 draft pick to bring in a KPF. Midfielders tend to be on the market more often than reliable KPF options so the investment in McCartin makes sense.

In all honesty I think the only other option that would have suited is Peter Wright. He is playing very well in a poor team and can pinch hit in thw ruck. This would let up play Bruce forward full time and hopefully get back to his 50 goal season tally.

If I had to swap one pick it would probably be Luke Dunstan for Zach Merrett. We took the ready made mid be he seems to have levelled out while Merrett has become elite. Had the stats to show it too did Merrett but we werent the only club to miss that trick.

Note - Yes, Yes, Billings and Bont. Bont is a genuine elite talent but nobody saw that before the draft. He was a bit of a reach for the Dogs at pick 4 having dominated school footy. Not holding that one against the team.

This question isn't about whether Paddy is any good or not. It is about whether he was the right player to take at 1. The obvious alternative was Petracca. So the question is more about which player was more right for Saints.

Before the draft I was in the Petracca camp. I probably still am if Petracca develops into an A grade midfielder. If he remains a Jack Darling type forward then I think over the long term Paddy is a better choice.
Do you realise that Petracca isnt a key forward?

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

Curious to know, had we taken Christian Petracca number 1 would Melbourne have taken Paddy McCartin with 2 or 3? Seems rather insane to question us picking him if your mob would have taken him at pick 2 or 3 surely.

Curious to know, had we taken Christian Petracca number 1 would Melbourne have taken Paddy McCartin with 2 or 3? Seems rather insane to question us picking him if your mob would have taken him at pick 2 or 3 surely.
Melbourne is on record as saying they would have taken two of McCartin, Petracca and Brayshaw.

We also expected the Saints were taking Petracca a few days out from the draft.

Melbourne is on record as saying they would have taken two of McCartin, Petracca and Brayshaw.

We also expected the Saints were taking Petracca a few days out from the draft.

Exactly and the Saints were taking one of Petracca or McCartin but took the KPF for above reasons.

The amount of Melbourne fans taking shots at Paddy for this reason confuses me, as if we'd picked Petracca you'd have Paddy and the same people knocking him would be singing his praises.

Exactly and the Saints were taking one of Petracca or McCartin but took the KPF for above reasons.

The amount of Melbourne fans taking shots at Paddy for this reason confuses me, as if we'd picked Petracca you'd have Paddy and the same people knocking him would be singing his praises.
There's like 2 Melbourne supporters knocking McCartin, don't exaggerate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mean to have a go at McCartin here, however I'm starting to think St.Kilda made a mistake selecting him with the #1 pick of the 2014 draft.

All year, Christian Petracca was rated as the clear #1 pick; a beast of a midfielder with elite athleticism and goalscoring ability. In the end, St. Kilda opted to select McCartin because they wanted a key-forward, even though he had more question marks over him than Tom Boyd did the previous year.

Now McCartin could well become a good, or even great player, and I know it's harsh to judge him right now because he didn't play, but in yesterday's game, Melbourne's midfield absolutely smashed St.Kilda's; there was a clear gap in quality. In this modern game, midfield depth is more valuable than ever, and Melbourne probably knew this, which is why they stockpiled them with most of their early picks in the last few years, including both Petracca and Brayshaw in 2014. Meanwhile St.Kilda's only top 10 picks since 2012 have been Billings and McCartin, two forwards (one potentially moving into the midfield); their midfield hasn't changed much on paper, and so far, it's not looking like it's improved much, or at least enough.

Should they have taken Petracca instead? Did they get too hungry for a tall forward?
The midfield got smashed by Oliver, Jones and Gawn, not Petracca.

I think McCartin was the right pick.

We drafted him a year before Bruce exploded and 2 years before Membrey did. At the time of the draft we had Riewoldt and then endless question marks about who was going to play FF/CHF.

We had also seen the Dogs trade their captain and a top 6 draft pick to bring in a KPF. Midfielders tend to be on the market more often than reliable KPF options so the investment in McCartin makes sense.

In all honesty I think the only other option that would have suited is Peter Wright. He is playing very well in a poor team and can pinch hit in thw ruck. This would let up play Bruce forward full time and hopefully get back to his 50 goal season tally.

If I had to swap one pick it would probably be Luke Dunstan for Zach Merrett. We took the ready made mid be he seems to have levelled out while Merrett has become elite. Had the stats to show it too did Merrett but we werent the only club to miss that trick.

Note - Yes, Yes, Billings and Bont. Bont is a genuine elite talent but nobody saw that before the draft. He was a bit of a reach for the Dogs at pick 4 having dominated school footy. Not holding that one against the team.
i dont think anyone knew Merrett was gonna be as good as he turned out.
no chance he slides to 26 if he had shown that at a junior age.
thank f*** we had drafted his brother.

McCartin over petracca is almost as bad as Billings over Bont. St kilda could have had two game changing mids.

Instead they have a kpf who in his third season can't get on the park and is still yet to kick more than two goals in a game and a forward flanker who shirks contact
You're all class aren't you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back