Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 10 out of a mix of performance and expected output. Slight perference for performances on the board.

1. Oliver
2. Dunkley
3. Weitering
4. H. McKay
5. Mills
6. Hopper
7. Parish
8. Hipwood
9. Menegola
10. Doedee

Menegola in for B. Mckay. Slotting him in at 9

So neither has had a better year than Parish so far, but both are higher?

Ok.

Oh look! It is like I had my reasoning above the list!

"Top 10 out of a mix of performance and expected output. Slight perference for performances on the board."

Recency bias is rife in rating current players. If he carries on his current form he will go up. Like to see him put it up until at least the end of the year.

If he does and continue onto next season will be 2nd/3rd on list.

Oh look! It is like I had my reasoning above the list!

"Top 10 out of a mix of performance and expected output. Slight perference for performances on the board."

Recency bias is rife in rating current players. If he carries on his current form he will go up. Like to see him put it up until at least the end of the year.

If he does and continue onto next season will be 2nd/3rd on list.
Cool dude.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turned/Turning into a nice draft.

Tom Doedee Ben Mckay Bailey Williams
Callum Mills Jacob Weitering Dan Housten
Jade Gresham Clayton Oliver Sam Menagola
Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti Eric Hipwood Daniel Rioli
Tom Papley Harry Mckay Harry Himmleberg
Matt Flynn Josh Dunkley Darcy Parish
Jacob Hopper Ryan Burton Ben Keays Blake Hardwick

Wayne Milera, Jordan Dawson, Aaron Francis, Mason Redman, Nathan broad, Jack Silvagni, Will Snelling

The half back line is ******* stacked with talent

That spine is elite.

Turned/Turning into a nice draft.

Tom Doedee Ben Mckay Bailey Williams
Callum Mills Jacob Weitering Dan Housten
Jade Gresham Clayton Oliver Sam Menagola
Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti Eric Hipwood Daniel Rioli
Tom Papley Harry Mckay Harry Himmleberg
Matt Flynn Josh Dunkley Darcy Parish
Jacob Hopper Ryan Burton Ben Keays Blake Hardwick

Wayne Milera, Jordan Dawson, Aaron Francis, Mason Redman, Nathan broad, Jack Silvagni, Will Snelling

The half back line is ******* stacked with talent

That spine is elite.

Would be interesting to compare with other drafts. Backline is crazy good - especially with depth - Keath, Francis, Redman, Broad all have a case to play.

Anyway:

1. Clayton Oliver
2. Josh Dunkley
3. Jacob Weitering
4. Eric Hipwood
5. Tom Papley
6. Charlie Curnow (fitness depending)
7. Jade Gresham
8. Callum Mills
9. Harry McKay
10. Anthony McDonald-Tipunwugti
11. Jacob Hopper
12. Harry Himmelberg
13. Blake Hardwick
14. Wayne Milera
15. Darcy Parish
16. Tom Phillips
17. Ryan Burton
18. Tom Doedee
19. Dan Houston
20. Daniel Rioli

I tried to do it based on "how good do I think they become" rather than "how good they are now" as they're all still quite young. Hence me probably over-rating some of Carlton's picks.
Update:

1. Oliver
2. Dunkley
3. Weitering
4. Harry McKay
5. Parish
6. Mills
7. Hopper
8. Papley
9. Gresham
10. McDonald-Tipunwugti
11. Hipwood
12. Keays
13. Himmelberg
14. Doedee
15. Ben McKay
16. Houston
17. Dawson
18. Williams
19. Hardwick
20. Sam Collins

This draft I think has snuck up on a lot of us. Now it looks pretty damn excellent which maybe wasn't the case a year or so ago. If I could guarantee their fitness Curnow and Milera would be in the Top 20 somewhere; Rioli, Tucker, Burton, Broad, Greenwood and Flynn all somewhat unlucky. Menegola and Keath not considered as they were originally drafted prior to 2015.

After a really bad early call on Parish I have updated my list. This has turned out to be a super draft, with some seriously talented footballers.

The top 5 are rated so high because they have done it for longer than others. Parish and McKay have had break-out years this year and could easily keep climbing over the next few years. Couldn't consider Charlie Curnow and Mileara because of their long term injuries, but they also have the talent to climb up the ratings. Menegola not considered due to being a mature age recruit.

1. Oliver
2. Dunkley
3. Weitering
4. Hopper
5. Mills
6. Parish
7. Harry McKay
8. Papley
9. Gresham
10. McDonald-Tipunwugti
11. Hipwood
12. Keays
13. Greenwood
14. Doedee
15. Himmelberg
16. Williams
17. Broad
18. Sam Collins
19. Hardwick
20. Houston

So many good players, placing them in order has been extremely difficult.

Update:

1. Oliver
2. Dunkley
3. Weitering
4. Harry McKay
5. Parish
6. Mills
7. Hopper
8. Papley
9. Gresham
10. McDonald-Tipunwugti
11. Hipwood
12. Keays
13. Himmelberg
14. Doedee
15. Ben McKay
16. Houston
17. Dawson
18. Williams
19. Hardwick
20. Sam Collins

This draft I think has snuck up on a lot of us. Now it looks pretty damn excellent which maybe wasn't the case a year or so ago. If I could guarantee their fitness Curnow and Milera would be in the Top 20 somewhere; Rioli, Tucker, Burton, Broad, Greenwood and Flynn all somewhat unlucky. Menegola and Keath not considered as they were originally drafted prior to 2015.

That list is pretty good except for Keays, I would not have him in the top 20. Already at his second club and put in a shocker against Essendon.

Reckon right now, on current form and impact, most clubs would take Harry at no 1, with all due respect to Clarry who is a gun.

Reckon as more time passes by Ben McKay will rise further through the rankings.

Yes. Could quite easily see this happening. Key position players who can hold down a position for 10+ years are like gold. If Ben keeps developing and doing the job on the KPFs week in, week out his rating will go higher.

Disagree about lockdown KPDs being overly valuable players. Defending is almost entirely a team based now. The dogs are getting away with playing VFL standard KPDs next to Keath as well as playing Daniel as a defender. Having a good defence is far more out pressuring the ball carrier and getting the number to the contest than it is 1 on 1 defending.

Defenders value lies in their ability to win the ball back from the opposition and be damaging with their disposal.

McKay isn’t in the top 100 for average intercept possessions and sits 89th for contested marks per game. He is just an average user who doesn’t take aggressive options by hand or foot.

His output is comparable to guys like Jordan Roughead and Kyle Hartigan who were picked up for free on average contracts.

Ben McKay should be sent forward like his twin brother where his size and athleticism will be damaging because it’s close to goal.

Disagree about lockdown KPDs being overly valuable players. Defending is almost entirely a team based now. The dogs are getting away with playing VFL standard KPDs next to Keath as well as playing Daniel as a defender. Having a good defence is far more out pressuring the ball carrier and getting the number to the contest than it is 1 on 1 defending.

Defenders value lies in their ability to win the ball back from the opposition and be damaging with their disposal.

McKay isn’t in the top 100 for average intercept possessions and sits 89th for contested marks per game. He is just an average user who doesn’t take aggressive options by hand or foot.

His output is comparable to guys like Jordan Roughead and Kyle Hartigan who were picked up for free on average contracts.

Ben McKay should be sent forward like his twin brother where his size and athleticism will be damaging because it’s close to goal.

Conceded the following over the past 6 games
0 goals Naughton (limited game time I know)
0 goals B. King
1 goal Hipwood
2 goals Himmelberg
0 goals M. King
2 goals Hooker (and Essendon scored 141 points that game)

Conceded less than a goal a game (0.83) and I've done the math, all of these forwards combined average 1.83, McKay is more than halving the output of these players. I'd like to see those numbers on Roughead and Hartigan.

Conceded the following over the past 6 games
0 goals Naughton (limited game time I know)
0 goals B. King
1 goal Hipwood
2 goals Himmelberg
0 goals M. King
2 goals Hooker (and Essendon scored 141 points that game)

Conceded less than a goal a game (0.83) and I've done the math, all of these forwards combined average 1.83, McKay is more than halving the output of these players. I'd like to see those numbers on Roughead and Hartigan.

Great defence by him doesn’t change the fact that players who intercept the ball and set up play are far more valuable in terms of driving winning.

Ben McKay has held down the hardest position in the worst team with the teams other key back missing for most of the year. If you can’t see his value playing on the monsters then your understanding of the game is poor.

We have a good key back for the next 8-10 years. Gold.

Ben McKay has held down the hardest position in the worst team with the teams other key back missing for most of the year. If you can’t see his value playing on the monsters then your understanding of the game is poor.

We have a good key back for the next 8-10 years. Gold.

Ruck is a difficult position to play doesn’t make it valuable. A good key back who does nothing offensively is inherently less valuable then good forwards, midfielders and intercept defenders imo.

I’d still take Ben McKay in the top 15 of this draft as 200cm blokes with his frame and athleticism are rare as hens teeth but he is wasted in a lockdown role where he isn’t having a meaningful impact on games when compared to the other top players from this draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back