2016 AFL Finals - Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG, Fri, Sept 9, 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn matches up well against Sydney for some reason, could be mental. We are no chance vs GWS though.

Nobody saw us beating Geelong at Skilled either but guess what happened?

Excluding the Swans in 2012, since 2007 interstate clubs the Power, Swans, Freo and Eagles have all been bitterly disappointing in Grand Finals, with Swans looking to be best chance in 2013 but got blown off the park by the Mighty Hawks. In recent years it's been so hard to get a handle on interstate clubs performing well in the Grand Final, however as history has proven interstate clubs if good enough can and will win the Grand Final. The current Swans team appears to be taking all before them and with their recent impressive, biggest and best win at Kardinia Park for several seasons if not EVER (usually not good-hunting ground for them) suggests the Swans are the real deal and justifying their current $3.20 favoritism..... certainly at present it would be foolish to suggest they cannot win flag. It will be with intrigue to see if they can become one of the great interstate sides and pull off the 2016 flag.

Last edited:

Excluding the Swans in 2012, since 2007 interstate clubs the Power, Swans, Freo and Eagles have all been bitterly disappointing in Grand Finals, with Swans looking to be best chance in 2013 but got blown off the park by the Mighty Hawks. In recent years it's been so hard to get a handle on interstate clubs performing well in the Grand Final, however as history has proven interstate clubs if good enough can and will win the Grand Final. The current Swans team appears to be taking all before them and with their recent impressive, biggest and best win at Kardinia Park for several seasons if not EVER (usually not good-hunting ground for them) suggests the Swans are the real deal and justifying their current $3.20 favoritism..... certainly at present it would be foolish to suggest they cannot win flag. It will be with intrigue to see if they can become one of the great interstate sides and pull off the 2016 flag.
I strongly expect Geelong to be there on the big day as well. A lot of footy to play before then. One week at a time.

At least the moaning about Kardinia Park has died down a bit.

I wonder what cats fans would prefer, 35K+ seats for their supporters or 11K for members only. Hmmmm tough choice.

Hawthorn has won the last 4 games against Geelong when Bradley Hill has played. Sure he maybe out of form right now, but we missed him badly in Round 1 with his run and carry and ability to hit up targets inside 50. If he plays on Motlop again and beats him, it will go along way to helping Hawthorn beat Geelong. As good as Motlop is he's struggled on Brad Hill in both the 2013 Preliminary Final and 2014 Qualifying Final.

Hill's last 6 weeks have been super.

I wonder what cats fans would prefer, 35K+ seats for their supporters or 11K for members only. Hmmmm tough choice.
You do realise it's been Hawforn supporters arguing against neutrals right? We've known all along this game was going to be held at the MCG

Since the 2011 Qualifying Final these two teams have played each other 11 times.

For the first time since that game both Menzel and Whitecross will play in the same game for their respective sides. A total of seven knee reconstructions between them.

Daniel Menzel has been in stellar form this season for Geelong currently sitting second in their goal kicking whilst proving to be an x-factor with his skill, cleverness inside the forward 50 and his contested marking have all been on display this year.

Brendan Whitecross has played seven consecutive games for Hawthorn since coming into the team and hasn't looked like missing a beat averaging 17 disposals and 6 marks. If it wasn't for his sheer desperation in the defensive 50 when he saved a certain goal Collingwood, Hawthorn wouldn't have won against the Pies.
For another game but far as comeback from knee injuries go is good to see Patton getting it together too.

Irrational or displeased people in my experience tend to want to be heard moreso and BigFooty posters seems to be no different. As example if we took all Cats and Hawks posters as sample then one would think that all Cat and Hawk supporters were stark raving mad and not only hated each other but also anyone else that doesn't agree with them...... as we know this is not TRUE and there are many supporters from both clubs that are more than capable of having a rational discussion with supporters from other clubs and not be completely one-eyed towards their own club. I for one am 'stoked' we're playing the Hawks at the 'G' and look forward to hopefully a 'great game'.

Very hard game to gauge - because all sides have been inconsistent and at times looked to have blown their flag chances

When the umpire bounced the ball a couple of weeks ago to start the last qtr against Richmond ( 35 pts in arrears ) Denis Cometti said - Geelong are on their knees - and they were - Fitzpatrick hadnt kicked that goal - Hawthorns realistic flag winning chances would have been pretty remote

How any supporter of any club could be confident is beyond me

Hawthorn ( who have got as got as good a chance of any team in it ) shouldnt be as hard to beat as in previous years - reasons

(1) They havent got Lake - who ended up owning Hawkins - physically and in the head

(2) They havent got Roughhead - who is a genuine superstar

(3) They havent got Hale - who had an unbelievable record against Geelong - possibly helped by the fact that Geelong didnt have any genuine ruckman - plus Ceglar who is not a bad backup is unavailable

(4) They have had a few injury worries - eg Stratton - and Burgoyne ( who im a massive rap for ) is he in the red hot form he normally is

This is the fifth consecutive qualifying final for the Hawks

Has any other team done this before in the modern era?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think it will be a repeat of the 2014 qualifying final between the two clubs only with the result reversed.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

You do realise it's been Hawforn supporters arguing against neutrals right? We've known all along this game was going to be held at the MCG

Didn't say it was cats fans complaining mate, just that neutrals don't seem to realise that a Kardinia final against a big drawing side will never happen as about 30K+ Geelong members would miss out. Maybe if stage 5 gets off the ground it is a chance. But 25K stadium against Hawthorn would result in maybe 10K actual fans from each side getting in.

Didn't say it was cats fans complaining mate, just that neutrals don't seem to realise that a Kardinia final against a big drawing side will never happen as about 30K+ Geelong members would miss out. Maybe if stage 5 gets off the ground it is a chance. But 25K stadium against Hawthorn would result in maybe 10K actual fans from each side getting in.

And when stage 5 is completed this game would still be at the G

Close for a half before one side runs away with it?
Yeah basically, I've been saying elsewhere that Hawthorn of this year remind me of Geelong in 2014. They will be on top in some stages and probably keep it close for a while but the Cats are a step above and should kick away in the end.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yeah basically, I've been saying elsewhere that Hawthorn of this year remind me of Geelong in 2014. They will be on top in some stages and probably keep it close for a while but the Cats are a step above and should kick away in the end.

There are some eerie similarities between Geelong 2014 and Hawthorn 2016 including a ridiculous number of close wins (we were 7-0 in games decided by less than two goals that season, Hawks are 6-0 in games decided by less than 10 points this year) and a similarly low percentage.

I hope the script follows, down to them losing the QF and us winning the flag.

It would be something more like the Freo final - 25k Cats members and only 4-5k Hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back