Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Hogan. Probably a pipe dream and would no doubt require an add from us.

2. Brander. Looks natural leading up. Not a monster but he's 194 and a nice mark and kick, just ******* draft the kid.

3. M.McGovern and a pick downgrade (best available mid or someone like Naughton/Balta/Allen)

4. Best available outside mid/half forward.

Don't know enough about this year's draft crop to comment on specific players, but the priority for mine is a key forward followed by a goal-kicking mid.

Wouldn't be disappointed if we drafted either with pick 5, depending on whose available. Ideally maybe even a decent sized forward that could run through the midfield (pipe dream probably).

Pick swapping for McGovern is right down the list.

Don't know enough about this year's draft crop to comment on specific players, but the priority for mine is a key forward followed by a goal-kicking mid.

Wouldn't be disappointed if we drafted either with pick 5, depending on whose available. Ideally maybe even a decent sized forward that could run through the midfield (pipe dream probably).

Pick swapping for McGovern is right down the list.
Fogerty (darcy) would fit your dream.

Last edited:
DARCY FOGARTY
190CM | 86KG | GLENELG

Already earmarked as the potential number one pick, Darcy Fogarty is ready-made for the crash and bash of the AFL. It was last year that Fogarty made a name for himself in the U18s where he kicked seven goals in only three games and averaged 10 possessions (seven contested), 62% disposal efficiency and four marks, while for Glenelg’s U18 team he kicked 10 goals from nine games. His marking is elite overhead and on the lead, but it is his strength and ability to burst through packs and hit team-mates lace out that will see his stocks rise as he moves into the midfield. Fogarty will no doubt receive a lot of attention throughout 2017 from recruiters from all clubs.– Lenny Fogliani

JARROD BRANDER
195CM | 83KG | BENDIGO PIONEERS

Brander is a player that is being touted as a potential Number one pick despite playing only a handful of TAC Cup games for the Bendigo Pioneers. A tall and versatile player who can play forward and back, Brander has the tools to be an elite AFL performer. A student at Geelong Grammar, Brander will play APS and GWS Academy for the majority of the year. I’d expect to only see him 3-4 times for the Pioneers as he will also no doubt play NEAFL for the Giants. If Brander has an uninterrupted injury free season and dominates with his great marking and accurate long range kick he will certainly be in the top handful in the draft. The Giants will no doubt take him as he is a great leader and player.I expect to see him in the top 5 selections at the years end.– John Bradman

I'd hate for a downgrade of picks...

We can fill up with numbers of players in coming years and throw small cash at average unrestricted free agents to fill gaps. But the quality from top 5 that is likely to be gained is so much harder to drop in your lap - particularly as we may get a top 10 pick next year but probably not top 5 and won't get it's likes again not for a long time afterwards if we're contending again.

This could be the last top echelon draft pick until Fyfe retires...

Is a man child. Would probably be able to play straight away, but he's just at that awkward height of 191cm.
Yeah. played well in the backline even though injured so I think he could release Weller up the ground straight away. I agree about the gait. It's hard to tell if he is fast or not because of it.

Is a man child. Would probably be able to play straight away, but he's just at that awkward height of 191cm.

Might possibly have a bit more growth in him?

He doesn't really seem like a true KPF but he'd be a pretty damn good get from the looks of it.

Being from SA is good too, much less of a flight risk.

Might possibly have a bit more growth in him?

He doesn't really seem like a true KPF but he'd be a pretty damn good get from the looks of it.

Being from SA is good too, much less of a flight risk.

Maybe, but he didn't exactly seem immature developmentally. Seems a massive unit.
At 191cm I'd prefer more bang for buck. Not hard to dominate at his level when you're essentially already a man. Don't get me wrong, seems a decent pick, but has already packed it in for this season with a knee injury. So if he was drafted by Freo you could expect a minimum of 22 months recovery before getting on the park, by which time he'd want home and we'd accept pick 72 for him.
I want a genuine mid or a genuine forward. He seems hybrib, which again can be good, but wouldn't be my ideal pick at 5.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe, but he didn't exactly seem immature developmentally. Seems a massive unit.
At 191cm I'd prefer more bang for buck. Not hard to dominate at his level when you're essentially already a man. Don't get me wrong, seems a decent pick, but has already packed it in for this season with a knee injury. So if he was drafted by Freo you could expect a minimum of 22 months recovery before getting on the park, by which time he'd want home and we'd accept pick 72 for him.
I want a genuine mid or a genuine forward. He seems hybrib, which again can be good, but wouldn't be my ideal pick at 5.
:eek: Balic has damage you.
I know what you mean about getting a key forward or elite mid with 5 though.

Could we target someone somewhat left field. Jack Martin example? Use pick 5 on him.

Just oozes class and we need that. Could play that HFF role incredibly well.

I think the knee injury is a meniscus? They don't normally take that long to recover from.

Very fair. As I said, I'm not in much of a position to judge who we should draft.

I'll defer to letting the cobblers do the cobbling!

Very fair. As I said, I'm not in much of a position to judge who we should draft.

I'll defer to letting the cobblers do the cobbling!

Don't get me wrong. If he's a screaming get at pick 5 then we pounce. A gun player is still a gun player.

However, if there's a few options at pick 5 then perhaps we go with the need first.

There's so much to it that we don't know and even the stuff we know happens alters choices.

Our much spoken of Croad trade was done because the club was fearful of the go home factor from the 3 possible top choices. It WAS the main reason we traded away our pick. That situation hasn't really ever changed for Fremantle.

A guy like Wingard basically told recruiters I'm not leaving Adelaide. Brisbane won't use pick 1 on Rayner... mark it down as ironclad guarantee.

It's taken time, but we seem hell bent on going WA players to avoid this type of risk.

I have no doubt the trade down last year was because we knew we could get Logue later.

We need to keep getting into the ear of WA players. Do that enough and our time will come. Last year was a taster IMO. I think in a couple of years, with the new stadium and slowly on the rise players will actually want to come to Freo for more then a surf and a retirement fund. I think we're on the brink of becoming relevant.

Freo - Pick 5
Adelaide - Jake Lever & Mich McGovern
Western Bulldogs - Pick 9 & 26 (or future 2nd rounder)

Freo - Mitch McGovern & Pick 9
Adelaide - Pick 5 & 26
Western Bulldogs - Jake Lever
McGovern and 9 I like. Bulldogs get killed don't they?

Maybe; Pick 5 and swap 2018 2nd round picks for McGovern and 9.

If the assumption is that the clubs will have similar seasons next year to this year it is a significant upgrade for the Crows.

The other sticking point for me is the question of who we would be targeting at 9. If it is Naughton plus we are bringing in McGovern, I would suggest Cox should be in trade discussions. Crows would be looking for a Lever replacement and would be reeling from the loss of two interstate players. I would take pick 26 for Cox in your scenario. It is essentially a different trade but one the kind Adelaide would be looking for.

OUT
Freo - Pick 5 & 2018 2nd, Cox
Adelaide - Jake Lever & Pick 35, Pick 9 & Mich McGovern & 2018 2nd,
Western Bulldogs - Pick 9 & 26 (or future 2nd rounder)

IN
Freo - Mitch McGovern & Pick 9 & Crows 2018 2nd Round, Pick 26 (for Cox)
Adelaide - Pick 5 & Fremantle 2018 2nd Round, Pick 26 (ontraded from Bulldogs to Fremantle), Cox
Western Bulldogs - Jake Lever, Pick 35

Last edited:
Back