Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Well a 10 beep test obviously didn't have the clubs wanting to draft him. He has the talent but he'll want to have the capacity to run out games
He is playing up the ground more this year and putting on a bit more pressure. We'll get to see if his fitness has improved over the past 12 months at the state testing. Maybe he just needs the capacity to sprint consistently rather than run all day. They don't even test for the beep anymore, so maybe the thinking is changing. Does every player need to play in multiple position? We need a small forward who can kick goals and be at the feet of our talls. He will do that and more. Curious about people's thinking on that.

Last edited:
We seem to have enough deficiencies to go be

He is playing up the ground more this year and putting on a bit more pressure. We'll get to see if his fitness has improved over the past 12 months at the state testing. Maybe he just needs the capacity to sprint consistently rather than run all day. They don't even test for the beep anymore, so maybe the thinking is changing. Does every player need to play in multiple position? We need a small forward who can kick goals and be at the feet of our talls. He will do that and more. Curious about people's thinking on that.

Cool so when the testing in on then he's worth talking about as a pick. This is pick 5 and he doesn't need to be in this thread because Freo won't be picking him up with their first pick

Cool so when the testing in on then he's worth talking about as a pick. This is pick 5 and he doesn't need to be in this thread because Freo won't be picking him up with their first pick
I didn't read back far enough to be aware we were talking about pick 5. Would never do that.

If we keep pick 5 im all about drafting brander, its pretty straight fwd AFAIC ...at the very least he should make a competent chb (yes not what we're drafing him for but im looking at worse case scenario.
My preference tho would be to downgrade our first pick.Especially if we're thinking about drafting a mid with our first. The general consensus seems to be theres not alot between most of the top 8/9 or so mids so downgrading is a no brainer for me particularly as we have no second rounder. I d be looking for something similar to last years deal with it definitely involving mcgovern. It wouldnt involve our first for MM and ade first tho ,hes out of contract and as long as he agrees to our terms we hold the whip hand.

I think somethin along the lines of our first and third for a pick 9/ 27, or 10 /28 ..(dont want to go much lower than that tho). I would then trade our 2018 second along for a gc pick this year. Considering they have 4 i think they def go for it. Id also look to throw in a player (sheridan or a sutcliffe)for B matera. GC got a big cleanout coming and i think ,also being OOC and his previous not so flash reputation he can be prised away fairly cheaply.look to Trade balic for a third rounder say maybe north? ...i dont think a 3rd is asking too much there...anything higher we're dreaming.
Then look to pass on the gc 2nd the balic 3rd and possibly our 4th for mcgovern...maybe alot to some maybe not enough to others,rates him atound gunstons value ..i think its more than fair considering his contract status. Finally see if we can prize a third out of a team for tabs,as long as he keeps showing signs for rest year i think its actually plausible rich/coll looking for some kpf help and with not alot on offer elsewhere (only really casboult)i think its a decent chance.
So that would leave us with say pick 10 (use on a fogarty,1st choice if available, stephenson,garner or obrien going off most mocks...the little vision of seen of all id be more than happy with any).... a second to use maybe on a tall...eg.CCJ/ krugar/taylor/allen or another mid ...a 3rd and a 4th to use for best available etc...plus experienced players in MMcgovern and matera. Alot would need to go right for this to happen obviously but i definitely think its more than plausible and certainly not fanciful thinking. Just my 2 c

Wow he can ******* play though. Footballers over Athletes I say!!!

We don't have a second rounder (yeah?) so what are the chances of us taking him with our third rounder because I don't think he will be there for our fourth!

I'm not disagreeing with you.
Rioli spends more time at the table than he does training, and he got drafted because there's a kernel of talent.
Ryan has it. We should be looking to tease that out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we keep pick 5 im all about drafting brander, its pretty straight fwd AFAIC ...at the very least he should make a competent chb (yes not what we're drafing him for but im looking at worse case scenario.
My preference tho would be to downgrade our first pick.Especially if we're thinking about drafting a mid with our first. The general consensus seems to be theres not alot between most of the top 8/9 or so mids so downgrading is a no brainer for me particularly as we have no second rounder. I d be looking for something similar to last years deal with it definitely involving mcgovern. It wouldnt involve our first for MM and ade first tho ,hes out of contract and as long as he agrees to our terms we hold the whip hand.

I think somethin along the lines of our first and third for a pick 9/ 27, or 10 /28 ..(dont want to go much lower than that tho). I would then trade our 2018 second along for a gc pick this year. Considering they have 4 i think they def go for it. Id also look to throw in a player (sheridan or a sutcliffe)for B matera. GC got a big cleanout coming and i think ,also being OOC and his previous not so flash reputation he can be prised away fairly cheaply.look to Trade balic for a third rounder say maybe north? ...i dont think a 3rd is asking too much there...anything higher we're dreaming.
Then look to pass on the gc 2nd the balic 3rd and possibly our 4th for mcgovern...maybe alot to some maybe not enough to others,rates him atound gunstons value ..i think its more than fair considering his contract status. Finally see if we can prize a third out of a team for tabs,as long as he keeps showing signs for rest year i think its actually plausible rich/coll looking for some kpf help and with not alot on offer elsewhere (only really casboult)i think its a decent chance.
So that would leave us with say pick 10 (use on a fogarty,1st choice if available, stephenson,garner or obrien going off most mocks...the little vision of seen of all id be more than happy with any).... a second to use maybe on a tall...eg.CCJ/ krugar/taylor/allen or another mid ...a 3rd and a 4th to use for best available etc...plus experienced players in MMcgovern and matera. Alot would need to go right for this to happen obviously but i definitely think its more than plausible and certainly not fanciful thinking. Just my 2 c
Would be happy with Naughton, Fogerty and Andrew Brayshaw down that way in the draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly don't want anybody from GC apart from jack Martin especially matera , their injured players record as a team look very similar to freo .

How does that work, he isn't a FA but he is out of contract, does that mean we take him in the preseason draft if a trade can't be worked out?
No no typical bf "3rd rounder or we make him walk to the preseason draft" rubbish here. Read the rest of the post...it just means we dont use our 1st in directly getting him. I think a second ,third and fourth is more than fair for him considering.

Edit sorry just re read your post....possibly it does but history suggests it wont. I think the propsed trade is fair value for both parties.

Would be happy with Naughton, Fogerty and Andrew Brayshaw down that way in the draft
Yeah forgot about brayshaw would be happy with him too...or as you said if we want to go the other way and grab Naughton with our first and a mid with our second id be happy with that too.

Well either way, your plan revolves around us not having a quality KPF. Collingwood is giving that a go at the moment with a superior midfield.

Collingwood recruited Darcy Moore with pick 9 (F/S) in 2014 and he has yet to kick 30+ goals in a season.
Western Bulldogs won a premiership in 2016 without a quality KPF ... but they had a good midfield, high i50 numbers and high contested possessions (Tom Boyd, pick#1, $7 million dollar man did kick 3 in the GF but had kicked 0 goals in the previous 3 finals).

Using pick 5 on a KPF is not a guarrentee and at best, it may solve a problem in the long term.
I just don't think Freo are currently looking for a solution that might pay dividends in 5 years time. They need quick fixes.

No no typical bf "3rd rounder or we make him walk to the preseason draft" rubbish here. Read the rest of the post...it just means we dont use our 1st in directly getting him. I think a second ,third and fourth is more than fair for him considering.

Edit sorry just re read your post....possibly it does but history suggests it wont. I think the propsed trade is fair value for both parties.

Thank * I read all of this post, could have looked like..... Ah I'll leave it!

I think we have 2 options
1 Freo keep 5 and get Brander
or
2 Freo trade pick 5, Balic or Weller and 3rd rounder to St Kilda for their 1st round pick and the 1st round pick they receive from the Hawks this year. Based on the ladder predictor and assumed results this could be picks 7 and 8 which would provide the options we need for Naughton plus a pick to trade if required

I think we have 2 options
1 Freo keep 5 and get Brander
or
2 Freo trade pick 5, Balic or Weller and 3rd rounder to St Kilda for their 1st round pick and the 1st round pick they receive from the Hawks this year. Based on the ladder predictor and assumed results this could be picks 7 and 8 which would provide the options we need for Naughton plus a pick to trade if required
Enough with the trade weller thing. We need pace and run and long kicking which is exactly what he will give us. Balic is leaving, by all reports, so let's do that one.

Use Pick 5 to draft best available or trade to GCS w/ 3rd Round pick for Martin and 2 of their second round picks. Only options IMO.

Hogan stuff is rubbish and McGoverns' name shouldn't be anywhere near pick 5.

Collingwood recruited Darcy Moore with pick 9 (F/S) in 2014 and he has yet to kick 30+ goals in a season.
Western Bulldogs won a premiership in 2016 without a quality KPF ... but they had a good midfield, high i50 numbers and high contested possessions (Tom Boyd, pick#1, $7 million dollar man did kick 3 in the GF but had kicked 0 goals in the previous 3 finals).

Using pick 5 on a KPF is not a guarrentee and at best, it may solve a problem in the long term.
I just don't think Freo are currently looking for a solution that might pay dividends in 5 years time. They need quick fixes.
Why? 5 years is an arbitrary period of time. We could come good in a couple of years or it could take 4-5 years. Rebuilds are not linear and do not have fixed time periods. Players take differing times to develop. What have you seen from our team that makes you think we are close to challenging? For me it is nothing. We can play good football for 2-3 quarters 3 out of 5 weeks and vary from "good effort" to terrible the rest of the time. We are miles off being serious.

Re Collingwood - they have 1 KPF target and struggle. They now have Reid playing down there just to give another option. We have Cam who will probably be a good no2 in time and potentially Kersten as the no3. Tabs, Ape and Nads are somewhat unknown.

The Dogs had trouble scoring all year BAR the finals which was the only time T Boyd played well (despite not kicking goals he was good in most of the finals and MASSIVE in the GF). Also look how they are playing this year. They can't score when they get it inside 50 (2nd quarter vs Giants being prime example) because their forward structure sucks, especially with T Boyd out.

Whilst we could model ourselves on the Dogs, I would be ****ing livid if we did because they had to play out of their asses for 4 games to get the win last year (of course I would take it if offered in advance). Their forward line is terrible for a premiership contender and should in no way being the team we model our rebuild on.

Pick 5 is no guarantee regardless of the position he plays, but I know what is a guarantee - having NOBODY to play the position.

Back