24/11/17 6pm National Draft: Picks 47, 51, 58, 60 + 61

Remove this Banner Ad

gotta love all the 'in hindsight' experts regarding Lobbe and his contract.

absolutely everybody wanted to extend his contract in 2014 and his future was looking very promising.

It still breaks my heart that he went backwards. Does anyone know why? Injuries?

My main wishlist in this draft (main and rookie drafts):

- Third KPF around 192-195cm who leads well. I want someone who can play a Tom Lynch (Crows) role.
- Half forward to replace Monfries. Maybe Houlahan if he's around at our pick?
- Clever small forward who applies pressure PLUS kicks goals. I don't want him to just run around if he isn't going to add anything to the scoreboard.
- Quick outside mid with good skills and evasive ability. If we get Motlop though, I'd settle for an inside/outside blend, still with speed and good skills.
- 195cm+ KPD. Austin worries me.
- Rookie another ruck, because we still don't have enough depth in that area.

- Third KPF around 192-195cm who leads well. I want someone who can play a Tom Lynch (Crows) role.
- Clever small forward who applies pressure PLUS kicks goals. I don't want him to just run around if he isn't going to add anything to the scoreboard.
- Quick outside mid with good skills and evasive ability. If we get Motlop though, I'd settle for an inside/outside blend, still with speed and good skills.

please join our recruiting division

easy to say that is what we want . The problem is actually being able to find them when 18 clubs are all trying to do the same.

Watching a replay of the TAC cup grand final now.

I remember being impressed by Hayden McLean in this game last year and I still like him as a late pick tall. Seems to win more than his fair share of 50/50 contests and has a strong set of hands.

easy to say that is what we want . The problem is actually being able to find them when 18 clubs are all trying to do the same.

Did you mention Sam Walsh the other day? Looks a jet!

I asked Bishop about third forwards in the Draft. Leading, repeat efforts, clean hands and disposal non sook. He likes Nathan Murphy and Jordan Houlahan. Houlahan had seven tackles in the reserves today. They may or may not be gone before our first pick!

I think Murphy will probably be gone but Houlahan should be there. I still dont think he's a 3rd tall though.

Watching a replay of the TAC cup grand final now.

I remember being impressed by Hayden McLean in this game last year and I still like him as a late pick tall. Seems to win more than his fair share of 50/50 contests and has a strong set of hands.

Did you mention Sam Walsh the other day? Looks a jet!

Yeah, next year for that lad.

For me its all about skills, skills and more skills this year but unfortunately, I dont think this is the most skillful draft class going around. The majority of the clean users of the ball will be gone by our first pick.

If we are interested in a tall forward then Wooller is probably the main decent option who should be there with our first pick. I would give my left and possibly my right nut for one of Lochie O'Brien, Lachie Fogarty or Matthew Ling to fall to our first pick. My nuts have produced 3 kids, they've got good stock.

If those 3 are gone then Gryan Miers probably interests me the most. Clever skillful small forward who can push through the midfield.

Kane Farrell would be a good addition. Andrew Mcpherson as well. Isaac Hewson late in the draft can use the ball. Maybe someone like Sam Davidson.

Awkward half time interview... the poor girl thought she was interviewing Charlie Constable but it was Hayden McLean. He took it well even and then she followed up with another question clearly aimed at the wrong person haha

Last edited:
For me its all about skills, skills and more skills this year but unfortunately, I dont think this is the most skillful draft class going around. The majority of the clean users of the ball will be gone by our first pick.

If we are interested in a tall forward then Wooller is probably the main decent option who should be there with our first pick. I would give my left and possibly my right nut for one of Lochie O'Brien, Lachie Fogarty or Matthew Ling to fall to our first pick. My nuts have produced 3 kids, they've got good stock.

If those 3 are gone then Gryan Miers probably interests me the most. Clever skillful small forward who can push through the midfield.

Kane Farrell would be a good addition. Andrew Mcpherson as well. Isaac Hewson late in the draft can use the ball. Maybe someone like Sam Davidson.
Miers playing really well here but his kicking is a big worry - worse than Sam Gray by some margin if this is an accurate representation. His set shot technique is awful too.

Agree on Hewson, he's one of my favourites this year. Just does everything little thing well. I wonder how he will go in the athletic testing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so as it stands now, we have picks 29, 47, 66, 84

If Trengove leaves as a Free Agent, I believe we gain second round compensation pick ~#30, regardless of whether or not we trade pick 29

For some precedent, when Ty Vickery joined Hawthorn, Richmond gained a second round compensation pick at #29 (Shai Bolton), they traded #28 the previous year to Gold Coast

Agree on skills.

Best defensive team despite not even being a lockdown slow the game down team like ross Lyon teams, tonnes of inside 50's if we didn't in fact lead the league in that as well.

We just can't get the ball to our forwards and when we do they can't kick goals.

L Fogarty or obrien would be my dream picks , pity we won't be able to get them
:(

so as it stands now, we have picks 29, 47, 66, 84

If Trengove leaves as a Free Agent, I believe we gain second round compensation pick ~#30, regardless of whether or not we trade pick 29

For some precedent, when Ty Vickery joined Hawthorn, Richmond gained a second round compensation pick at #29 (Shai Bolton), they traded #28 the previous year to Gold Coast
If we get Motlop that 2nd round comp pick would cancel out wouldn't it?

So were pretty much guaranteed to pick up a mature ager/overage recruit. We usually do; pfeiffer blee sgary eddy liernert kane mitchell jonas etc with only jonas and arguably s gary being afl quality. If we can not pick a under 180cm state leaguer it would be great; meanwhile freo picks up guy like neale spurr and ryan whom were mostly all avaliable at our picks. No doubt we need better talent identification.

People have said liam ryan any one else?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back