List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for that - be exciting to see what we do with the 2nd rd picks come trade and draft period. You would think that with 2nd rd picks we can select with one eye for talent and an eye for need
Im expecting crossley to slide down the draft board so we might get to use both of our second rounders as free selections, worpel and pascoe for me

i thought we had 3, I reckon we will trade on and keep 2

Hawks, Suns, Tigers and Freo

I agree that we will trade probably 2 picks - 2nd rd picks make for great currency in trading for established best 22 players that are not stars (e.g. Michael Hibberd type player)

Can only really see us drafting 5 players max including Crossley.

Depending on what draft picks we have left after trade period it may be worth trading a couple of 2nd rd picks to get a pick in the mid-late 1st rd

See that sounds much better than what was written in the AFL article

Yep, everything points to him definitely re-signing. No worries there.

Only curiosity for me is the length of the contract. You'd think the club would be offering 5yrs on top $$$, lock him up now as a 1 club player?

Hawks, Suns, Tigers and Freo

I agree that we will trade probably 2 picks - 2nd rd picks make for great currency in trading for established best 22 players that are not stars (e.g. Michael Hibberd type player)

Can only really see us drafting 5 players max including Crossley.

Depending on what draft picks we have left after trade period it may be worth trading a couple of 2nd rd picks to get a pick in the mid-late 1st rd
My ideal draft haul on where are currently sitting on the ladder and draftees current form is
Darcy Fogarty (Absolute Star, built like a tank and can play from day one)
Lachie Pascoe
Worpel (doubt he slides but I wish)
Crossley and which ever other academy kid needs a pick

Quick chat with Maysie today.
If you watch the full press conference on the Suns website it definitely sounds like he doesn't have any intention of leaving and is really just trying to maximise his value by playing better. It's not uncommon for an out of contract player to do that and in his own words he had a slow start to the season so he knows he can play better and get more money. Don't forget, this is likely the biggest and longest contract Steven will ever sign so waiting for the right moment is justified but he also said he thought the contract situation would be over before the season finishes. Seeing as you can't sign for another club while in season, the logical conclusion is he will stay.

As good a player as Lynch is, it's starting to become more and more obvious that May is the better leader/captain IMO. Should he be sole captain next year? That might happen in an ideal world but you don't want to take the captaincy off Lynch when he's off contract (and a free agent) next year. I think they'll keep co-captains for at least one more season for that reason.

Im expecting crossley to slide down the draft board so we might get to use both of our second rounders as free selections, worpel and pascoe for me

Ihope we trade all our picks barr Crossley , Foster and our 1st , we are playing with the youngest side in the AFL most weeks and that does'nt include our 1st rounders from last year yet , we need experience in if we want to rise , not go down the constant youth track like we have for the past 7 years.

Ihope we trade all our picks barr Crossley , Foster and our 1st , we are playing with the youngest side in the AFL most weeks and that does'nt include our 1st rounders from last year yet , we need experience in if we want to rise , not go down the constant youth track like we have for the past 7 years.
Agree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Local reporter mentioned to me a few weeks back he heard that Freo also sniffing around. Presumably as a replacement for Ballantyne.

Decisions for both club & player.

I think we will trade him while he is peaking.

Maybe target a future 2nd rounder? Can't see us wanting more picks this year?
Surely we don't put up with average matera all these years and trade him when he actually shows potential

On ZTE T84 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I tend to disagree.

I thought what the list management team did last year was great picking up experienced AFL players at a relatively cheap prices of picks in the 40s (Lyons, Witts), delisted FA (Barlow) and a couple of 2nd rd picks (Hanley) and investing top 10 draft picks in youth.

I would be happy to continue to pick up a couple of experienced AFL soldiers (e.g. B. Ah Chee and JK) for a couple of 2nd rd picks, and pick up a decent free agent for nothing and then continue to invest in youth early in the draft. Basically a foot in both camps.

IMO the only reason to trade away all our picks is to get our hands on a player that is worth that sort of value (e.g. Dusty, Fyfe, Treloar), not to overpay for players that can be had for less.

Trading away your best picks and not getting an equal level of value may get you accelerate our bid to get into finals contention earlier but limit your ability to go the next level once you get there or sustaining a high level of performance over a number of years.

IMO there has been too much pain to this point to not stay the course and aim for sustained success by continuing to add and develop elite talent unless you can land an elite talent.

Local reporter mentioned to me a few weeks back he heard that Freo also sniffing around. Presumably as a replacement for Ballantyne.

Decisions for both club & player.

I think we will trade him while he is peaking.

Maybe target a future 2nd rounder? Can't see us wanting more picks this year?

In agreement - if he wants to go then we shouldn't overpay to keep him

Just looking at their list maybe we could look at a Jack Redden (especially if we can reunite him with his best mates Rocky and Hanley), Masten or a Will Schofield

Surely we don't put up with average matera all these years and trade him when he actually shows potential

On ZTE T84 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I believe he is on fairly big $$$ compared to his career output. Was the main turn off for clubs last year.

I guess a lots depends if we have been factoring him into our future cap next season onwards? Not sure on that one.

Ah Chee looks good - where would he slot in for our team, high half forward?

Similar role to Jack Martin I guess, rotate forward flank to midfield. Ideally the more midfield minutes the better. He's long handball out of packs to our runners would be handy.

He's inconsistent, but still young enough (24 in Dec) that with senior opportunity could definitely play a role.

Hallahan/Shaw will be gone at seasons end, he would provide a ready made inside mid with plenty of upside on our list?

Similar role to Jack Martin I guess, rotate forward flank to midfield. Ideally the more midfield minutes the better. He's long handball out of packs to our runners would be handy.

He's inconsistent, but still young enough (24 in Dec) that with senior opportunity could definitely play a role.

Hallahan/Shaw will be gone at seasons end, he would provide a ready made inside mid with plenty of upside on our list?

He's got some X factor - pretty agile for his height, accurate around goals, has some ability around stoppages and definitely has the longest handball in the game.

May sound a little harsh but I probably walked away from watching JK last night a little less convinced - looked OK with ball in hand, was OK in the 1 on 1s (lot better than Himmelberg at this stage), has flexibility to play on 185cm to 195cm players but made a couple of decision making errors that cost goals.

There is enough there to work with for both of them. Selfishly I don't want either of them to fully 'break out' the remainder of the year and drive the price up too much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back