2017 Grand Final - Who wears the clash jumper?

Who should have to wear the Clash jumper for GF (hypothetical at this stage)

• Adelaide

Votes: 109 17.5%
  • Richmond

Votes: 514 82.5%
  • GWS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it wouldn't be for Adelaide?

For what it's worth I actually did think this morning I hope we play Geelong so we can wear our home without a worry (and to see Dangerflop's face when they lose!)
Yeah, mate. But how much would it hurt if we won and Danger gets the Norm Smith?

Wearing your home guernsey will be the least of your concerns at that point.;)

I remember black and white TV ,watching Richmond versus Essendon in mud,noone cared back then.
Clash strip bullshit.
Maybe Richmond can wear their traditional woolen jumper as well. No problems back in the day!

this is going to turn into another BF "victorian privilege" bullshit thread, mark my words...
Nah. I'd be happy to see Richmond in its away guernsey. The only reason it'd be a thing, that is Richmond versus Adelaide in a Grand Final, is because Richmond won its "away" match tonight.

I'm not inerested in seeing clubs get unfair leg ups, which is why, either way, this thread will be redundant in around twelve hours' time. It'll be back to the 'G next week against (most likely) Sydney.

To quote Brendon Gale in another context:

"I could have made the announcement nude and our fans wouldn't care."

It's such a weird concept to be discussing Richmond in a grand final, that they could run out nude if it meant they've made it.
Actually, do that, and bury the Helen curse at the same time.

I'd gladly see us where our old BLK mustard jumpers tbh. Heck if it meant a GF appearance, I'd even support wearing this! :p

$_35.PNG

Oh man, this is such an archaic view! I'm sorry, but look at this.

623686-carlton-v-collingwood.jpg

Look at this. It's awful on the eyes - terrible from level 4 of the G and even worse on TV. There are countless more examples. Your view of clash jumpers as being far removed from the traditions of the club (which are what exactly? One extra colour?) are frankly naive.

When clash jumpers first became 'mainstream' in 2007 they were pretty ordinary. Clubs experimented with gradients and big animal-head cartoons to try to appease to the youth as they were still being used sparingly in premiership matches. I'd like to think the penny dropped for most clubs when St Kilda were forced to wear their clash jumper in the 2010 GF - thankfully it was tasteful and effective. But clubs began to realise that any clash jumper they designed would have to look good enough to wear a premiership in.

So then we started seeing more inverse designs, block colours, and less cartoony efforts. Nearly every club has had a bonafide 'great' clash jumper now at one stage. It's disappointing to see that the Dees have - overwhelmingly objectively - the worst clash jumper in the league this year. The "Bintang" as it's known on the FJGD board is named so because it has all the creative inspiration of a Bali singlet design. White with side panels and a big logo slapped in the middle. It sucks, even more so because the Dees have had some great efforts in the past.

I'll back clash jumpers as a necessity until I'm blue in the face, and there's a whole board of people probably lurking this thread currently who'll be happy to do the same. Please, wake up and smell the roses. Clash jumpers aren't evil.
Thanks for your input, but there really is no issue. Just wear white shorts. Teams never had an issue with it. It's just become marketable to wear a clash jumper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is such a non-argument, Richmond in the clash.

Their clash is actually good and looks like Richmond. In the event they win the flag (god help us all), they have the option of changing into home jumpers for the occasion. As St Kilda planned to do I believe, and as happens in World Cup finals.

Same should apply for every club including Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond and anyone else. Design a clash jumper with the possibility of it being worn in a Grand Final.

I'd love to say that we have more history and are more heavily tied to our main jumper, but that'd be dishonest.

It can, and already is, decided by a coin flip. That's why teams need to love all three guernseys- Hawks came close to wearing their power rangers jumper against West coast.

Eagles were ditching their home strip at the end of the year so were happy to wear away. If not, a coin flip could have meant hawks wearing that monstrosity in a grand final
What? We qualified ahead of Hawthorn in the finals (we'd already beaten them) and got to wear our choice of strip, which has always been royal in gf's. Hawthorn got to wear home with white shorts because that was the best matchup to the royal.

Yes,people get softer.
No, standards and expectations on what is and isn't acceptable change.

Back when the league was the centre point of one city, in one state it wouldn't have mattered. The budget and level of support for professionalism wasn't there, it was more or less a glorified local league of a unique sport. Now it's the elite league with all the same expectations as something like Premier League, or the NFL.

Everything these days is done with the tv viewers in mind. The league doesn't give a s**t if you're pushing 70, been a 'tiges' fan all your life and think the traditions are going out the window. You're not the fanbase they're catering to. They want the casual supporters who click on the tv and give the game a glance. They need quick ways to identify who is who from the corner of their eye. Clash kits do that.

Thanks for your input, but there really is no issue. Just wear white shorts. Teams never had an issue with it. It's just become marketable to wear a clash jumper.

But who believes there's no issue? There have been multiple occasions where teams have kicked to the wrong player or even an umpire because of a clash in uniforms. Why do you think the "men in white" don't wear white anymore? Because they would clash with the players.

Football was also a lot different even 20 years ago with way more 1-on-1s. The game has evolved, it's a lot faster. Clash jumpers are a necessity. Having one rule for home-and-away and one rule for finals in the name of 'tradition' is even more ludicrous.

The Richmond clash is fine, after all it's yellow and black and follows the same design as the home. One would think that Tigers fans would be so thrilled their team was in the GF for the first time in 37 years that this wouldn't be a major issue.

It would be more of an issue if a club was forced to wear one of the "new-age" clash designs, for example the Power Rangers strip in a GF. However, as others have said, clubs should be designing clash strips that they would be happy to wear in a Grand Final if the scenario ever arose.

I'm for this. Actually looks good with the white shorts.
Remember that Richmond now have the sash on the back and white numbers, wouldn't be as clean as that photo from the back.

If teams made clash strips they were happy to wear in any scenario, this wouldn't be an issue. It's taking them with disdain and creating something subpar that generates this issue. "oh we don't wanna wear that it looks s**t", make your club give a stuff about how it looks then? It's only a matter of time before a 'big 4' club gets shoved into its clash kit in a finals match, the world will still turn afterwards.

But who believes there's no issue? There have been multiple occasions where teams have kicked to the wrong player or even an umpire because of a clash in uniforms. Why do you think the "men in white" don't wear white anymore? Because they would clash with the players.

Football was also a lot different even 20 years ago with way more 1-on-1s. The game has evolved, it's a lot faster. Clash jumpers are a necessity. Having one rule for home-and-away and one rule for finals in the name of 'tradition' is even more ludicrous.
I am pretty confident white shorts on either Richmond or Adelaide would alleviate the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back