2017 - Non Yeo Discussion (Formerly Non Freo Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
More importantly... does his jumper fit?
There's a bloke out there waddling around that sure looks like Barlow. But it can't be him.

His jumper fits :huh:

I first took notice of Bob Murphy when he started to write (gasp!) pro-Fremantle articles a few years ago. He is one of the few voices in the eastern states media who actually appears to like Fremantle and respect some of our players - definitely a beacon for me. Here is one example:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...y--its-as-simple-as-that-20140806-10172b.html

Written in 2014, it is a lists of the blokes he'd love to play with. Of the 22, 5 are Fremantle players:
  • Half back - Tendai Mzungu
  • Midfield - Nathan Fyfe
  • Half forward - Matthew Pavlich
  • Ruck - Aaron Sandilands
  • Interchange - Ryan Crowley.
There is only one West Coast player - Mark LeCras as a forward pocket before he became a spud.

Why would you not love this bloke???

Ok, I guess I don't follow enough Vic media. I haven't seen or heard anything from him that deserves the halo effect that he's getting and thought when the AFL captains paid their tribute to Pav, his was extremely meh..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not just the media. In 2015 Murphy was named all Australian captain after finishing equal 70th in the Brownlow medal count with 5 votes.
Not that I think he should have been awarded the meaningless AA captain position, but what do Brownlow medal votes have to do with a defender's ability, and why does this matter for captaincy. Or for that matter, who should have been awarded captain in 2015?

Not that I think he should have been awarded the meaningless AA captain position, but what do Brownlow medal votes have to do with a defender's ability, and why does this matter for captaincy. Or for that matter, who should have been awarded captain in 2015?

I think it's obvious. Presumably the AA captain has had a standout season which implies he has polled well in the Brownlow. In other words highly visible , certainly more than five votes.
In his scintillating 2015 season in the opinion of the media, he averaged 22.5 disposals over 21 games; hardly breathtaking form worthy of AA captaincy.

Who should have been the AA captain in 2015 ? It is irrelevant. We were talking about the absurd media fawning over Bob Murphy and I stated it went beyond the media, ie: the AA selectors.

Last edited:
I think it's obvious. Presumably the AA captain has had a standout season which implies he has polled well in the Brownlow. In other words highly visible , certainly more than five votes.
In his scintillating 2015 season in the opinion of the media, he averaged 22.5 disposals over 21 games; hardly breathtaking form worthy of AA captaincy.

Who should have been the AA captain in 2015 ? It is irrelevant. We were talking about the absurd media fawning over Bob Murphy and I stated it went beyond the media, ie: the AA selectors.
That's a simplistic way to look at it. Glass was AA captain in 2012 and got no votes as far as I can tell.

Bob has the misfortune of having his coach give him a pity medal on the dais and people suddenly find a million ways to hate him.

That's a simplistic way to look at it. Glass was AA captain in 2012 and got no votes as far as I can tell.

Bob has the misfortune of having his coach give him a pity medal on the dais and people suddenly find a million ways to hate him.

Don't hate him. I reckon he's a genuine nice bloke.
Bob Murphy is an above average footballer but far from a star. This whole conversation is about the media pushing Bob's barrow continually, particularly by that pisstank Robbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back