2017 pre-season discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Then they would have offered him a contract. All those teams are shocking, have a list with big holes in the key forward department, and still all have players who are more or less as good at a third tall role.

He's at best a journeyman. No criticism, teams all need them, but if he wasn't tall he would stand a chance.

On Galaxy Nexus using BigFooty.com mobile app

its been remarkably quiet from the club this pre season, very few puff pieces, not alot about new draftees etc, no houses being trained down.

Im hoping the silence is a result of the club shutting themselves off, stewing on our grand final failure and preparing to tear through the comp without mercy.........and not the ronda rousey silence where we have shut ourselves down because we are mentally broken

Reid this morning

C2AiDBBUoAY3QRb.jpg:large

Sam Reid looks to have put a lot of upper body weight on. He will be stronger for it and his pack marking can only get better. I believe he will play the true CHF role this season and Bud will be allowed to go where he wants creating mayhem. With the rucks playing out of FF or on bench that leaves some room for a third forward, either Dawson or Hayward to come in. Can't wait to see sam out there as I think with him in the key forward cHF position we look far better. when he played there, even with Bud and Tip in their spots he was very good.

Had no internet for the past few weeks and just finished what surmounted to hours of reading on here of what I've missed.

Good to see our boys all looking pretty in-shape and what not. Unfortunately the Hawks' new recruits have been excelling according to afl.com, so looks like no one else stands a chance this year

Only one month and 8 days!..well 7 days for you guys in Australia =)

And in 21 days you can watch the Women's league which will at least be some footy to watch even if we don't have a team. Smart move by the AFL starting it earlier than the mens pre season games to get some interest from footy starved supporters.

Also our elite gun incredible midfield conceded more inside 50s than any other team in the league.

Imagine how much easier our defence would have it if the midfield stepped up a bit

Lack of speed hurt us. Kennedy, Parker are both bulls but slowish. McV too slow, Hanners and Jack - adequate not explosive pace. Which is why I think Ronke can come in and do well for us this year. He looks to have a very good first 10 meter's pace.
Jones in for McV
Ronke/Foote for Jack and when resting any of the other midfielders.
Suddenly we are quicker at hunting down opposition ball carriers.
Obviously Heeney will spend a fair bit of time in the mids, but for me he doesn't have the explosive pace we need. So it's either him or Parker in there, but not both at once - no probs as both make bloody good marking forward options while the other is in the mids.
I'm not sure about our first round picks for this year. They both look like children to me atm. They might bulk up a bit, but look as if they'll take a year to get ready, hopefully one of them surprises.

I hope to see both Foote and Ronke get plenty of games into them early this year so they'll be ready come finals time if/when needed. There is no way we beat GWS come finals time without some serious upgrades in pace - and whoever brings that pace needs to have 10 games into them by then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And in 21 days you can watch the Women's league which will at least be some footy to watch even if we don't have a team. Smart move by the AFL starting it earlier than the mens pre season games to get some interest from footy starved supporters.
Need some ethical guidance on this - are we following the Giants?

I want to give a shoutout to the extremely underappreciated Jeremy Laidler. After injuries and limited opportunity at 2 other clubs, he moved here and has since gone on to play a whopping 58 games in 3 seasons, almost 20 a year. Fantastic consistency and a solid contributor down back, plus his disposal puts a lot of our stars to shame. That tally of 58 games in 3 years is more than players like Sam Reid, Kurt Tippett and Gary Rohan.

Well done Jeremy, and at only 27 hopefully there is more to come!

Following Footscray.

Collingwood is pretty strong though apparently.
*shudder*

The club that threw & slide their way to a premiership or a club that has probably my most hated person running the show? Hrrrmmmm.... GWS it is!

EDIT: No. I just can't do it. I think I'm going to sit on the fence, watch the year unfold & pick a team next year.

My first reaction is hell no.
But only women's team in NSW....
So have decided to support against Magpies only.
Very sound. But have had a look at the teams other than the not over a dead body clubs - Collingwood, Blues and the Jaffas - and will be supporting the Lions. They have two young very good forwards Tayla Harris and Sabrina Frederick-Taub. Their coach Craig Starcevic appears to be as clueless as when he played for the scum. Craig refers to his players as the girls. Possibly thinks he is back with his old teammates. Hope everyone gets with the comp. Starts early February. Better than the Bankster's Cup. At least everyone will be having a go.

Women's comp is hard. I don't think I will follow a team. But I will watch. I do hope lions do well as their men's team is shite and they need something to roar about. GWS, mmmm. Don't think so. They are now enemy number 1

*shudder*

The club that threw & slide their way to a premiership or a club that has probably my most hated person running the show? Hrrrmmmm.... GWS it is!

EDIT: No. I just can't do it. I think I'm going to sit on the fence, watch the year unfold & pick a team next year.
Their women's team had a joint training session with the cheats. So we can expect sliding, throwing and cloying sentimentality. And boofhead crying like a big shiela after very game.

*shudder*

I know some good people who work behind the scenes at the Dogs so I almost always wish them well.

Almost always...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back