MVP 2017 Syd Barker Medalist - Shaun Higgins

Remove this Banner Ad

Not bad, if I do say so myself.

Tipped the top 10 and most of them in order.

1 Higgins/Cunners
2 Higgins/Cunners
3 Brown
4 Tarrant
5 McDonald
6 Thompson
7 Ziebell
8 Gibson
9 Garner
10 Atley

Make sure you take notice of the vote numbers :)

Or GIF for your Bitchmons friends

ben-vince-votes-s.gif

Last edited:
Big Congrats to Shaun Higgins who has been outstanding since crossing from the dogs.

Looking forward to Shaun becoming a 100 game player for the club.

Big Congrats to Shaun Higgins who has been outstanding since crossing from the dogs.

Looking forward to Shaun becoming a 100 game player for the club.
Few in the media did float his name up as AA. But rather difficult in the crop....especially when its a popularity contest.

Great effort Shaun. A very worthy winner this year. Was asked to step up without Wells and play a leading playmaker role. Got sat on most of the year and copped a lot of attention from the opposition. Basically did everything he was asked and did it without complaint. Ben (C) had a great year as well, but as a former winner I can live with him keeping the hunger burning. Browny strong finish and my roughie Lmac staked his claim for a run next year.

Good night, congrats to all the winners - including the handsome bloke that put a sneaky $10 on Geelong at 40+ ;)

Just got home from the Syd Baker Medal. It's a shame old Syd couldn't make the night. Get well soon buddy. What a night it was though. Congrats to Higgo (that's what his mates call him). Well deserved.
I ended up hitting the Crown tables last night and i ended up making another 16-17 friends minimum!!! And that doesn't include the guys who were chanting "Imran Khan! Imran Khan!" every time I placed my chips on the roulette table. I think the guys loved it that I thrust my hips back and forth singing Past The Dutchie on the Left Hand Side as I did so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was listening to this band - The National and their song from years ago called Bloodbuzz Ohio. After that speech the vids come up and that video is next to one of Loogie is the one for that song with the lead singer drunk at a bar. They look exactly the same!! And they move with a very similar drunk swaying motion. His next job could be in a National cover band....

I was one of the few who rated Shaun Higgins back in mid-2014 when his name was floated as a recruit - but this result surprised a little. He was very good at times this year but felt a little hot and cold.

Cunnington and Tarrant felt to have more complete years imo. Not complaining though, Shaun is one of the classiest players to pull on a North guernsey.

I was one of the few who rated Shaun Higgins back in mid-2014 when his name was floated as a recruit - but this result surprised a little. He was very good at times this year but felt a little hot and cold.

Cunnington and Tarrant felt to have more complete years imo. Not complaining though, Shaun is one of the classiest players to pull on a North guernsey.

There were lots of games this year where he played well but missed votes in the boards B&F, yet he still came third. At one point I was wondering if we had a massive blind spot about him or just thought he could have done better. I noticed I didn't even consider him for votes myself unless he had a blinder.

Thoughts on Buckleys speech....grated on me 'outstanding ' being thrown around.

For me i was out standing at tbe car half way through the last quarter of the Pies game.

Crossing thread streams - I agree. Not sure anyone at the NMFC should walk away from 2017 saying "outstanding".

Encouraging, refreshing, reviving, embiggening, sure. But what was "outstanding" about heartbreaking losses, injuries and blooding a few kids?

Hope it was Ben giving in to hyperbole rather than genuinely rating 2017 as a corker.

There were lots of games this year where he played well but missed votes in the boards B&F, yet he still came third. At one point I was wondering if we had a massive blind spot about him or just thought he could have done better. I noticed I didn't even consider him for votes myself unless he had a blinder.
To my mind, all performances are generally rated lower in losses, plus Higgo's goal kicking dropped off this year after being very reliable in the past couple of years. Like Wellsy's best years, when you're kicking goals as a midfielder, it generally contributes to a more inflated view of the rest of your work.

Last edited:
Yeah good point Kimbo. I guess the opposite applies too as a mid - when you aren't kicking goals the perception of your game suffers. Our midfield is our biggest weakness too so apart from Cunners, who wins the ball a lot then seems to have no support (not necessarily true all the time but again a its perception thing,) they suffer in comparison. Especially when we are losing. Mind you Cunners wasn't criticism free this year either.

I might be biased but I thought Brown was clearly our standout performer this year.

To kick so many goals in an ordinary/poor team was a fantastic effort.

Higgins and Cunners were very good, I wouldn't say great though. Taz also was off his very best.

Contrats to Higgo regardless though, been a great pick up and sets a great example :thumbsu:

Brown did have a great year but I don't think you can underestimate the amount of attention - both physical and team planning - that Higgins would have received this year as our only real classy match winning senior mid. He had someone on his tail from the start of the year to the end. Even Brown had Waite turn up and turn it on a few times to help out as well as Wood early on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back