Certified Legendary Thread 2017 The Summer of George Trade Period Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Now it's time to tell if we can not only bridge the gap but jump ahead.

I still maintain that we were the worst side in the finals this year. If West Coast showed a week later that they were really a joke, what does that make us?

Will these 3 guys propel the gap for us?
If it's any consolation, Dean Brogan was in the radio the other day saying how much the GWS coaching team were wanting WC to win our final. He said Leon Cameron and co were all at AO, out of their seats cheering when Shuey kicked that goal. Said they were lucky that no one took a picture.

He said they knew if WC got through that GWS would have them covered (older, tired legs) but thought Port might be more problematic. He's since left the coaching team and said he'd have never been able to disclose that if he was still a coach. Pretty funny.

Traded out: 59 games (of total possible 136 in 2017, 43%*)
Trengove + Impey + Young + Ah Chee + Austin + Lobbe

Traded In: 59 games (of total possible 61 in 2017, 96%*)
Rockliff + Motlop + Watts

Interesting, we have traded 6 players out and 3 players in and both groups played the exact same amount of games this year.

Bonus:
Traded + Retired out: 60 games (of a potentially total 184 in 2017)
Monfries + Young + Trengove + Lobbe + Impey + Austin + Ah Chee + Krakouer

*percentage of total possible games played, games missed through injury reduced the total possible games played.

What the * made you decide to analyse that of all things and then provide statistics?

o_O

Port Adelaide, Carlton and Fremantle top the trade season
In: Jack Watts (Melbourne), Tom Rockliff (Brisbane), Steven Motlop (Geelong)
Out: Aaron Young (Gold Coast), Brendon Ah Chee (West Coast), Jackson Trengove (Western Bulldogs), Jarman Impey (Hawthorn), Logan Austin (St Kilda), Matthew Lobbe (Carlton)
Draft Order: 46, 49, 59, 62, 63, 86, 95
They say: “Those were the three players we targeted. We’re really pleased they chose us as our preferred club.” - List manager Jason Cripps.
We say: Last year the Power didn’t make a single deal. This year they made their move in a big way. Can legitimately claim to be a destination club after luring Watts, Rockliff and Motlop while clearing several mid-tier players off their list.
Grade: A
More ...
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/po...n/news-story/b0859c41924e237cd67e6dafcf686550
Port can legitimately claim to be a destination club ... you said it .. :D:p

Port Adelaide, Carlton and Fremantle top the trade season
In: Jack Watts (Melbourne), Tom Rockliff (Brisbane), Steven Motlop (Geelong)
Out: Aaron Young (Gold Coast), Brendon Ah Chee (West Coast), Jackson Trengove (Western Bulldogs), Jarman Impey (Hawthorn), Logan Austin (St Kilda), Matthew Lobbe (Carlton)
Draft Order: 46, 49, 59, 62, 63, 86, 95
They say: “Those were the three players we targeted. We’re really pleased they chose us as our preferred club.” - List manager Jason Cripps.
We say: Last year the Power didn’t make a single deal. This year they made their move in a big way. Can legitimately claim to be a destination club after luring Watts, Rockliff and Motlop while clearing several mid-tier players off their list.
Grade: A
More ...
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/po...n/news-story/b0859c41924e237cd67e6dafcf686550
Port can legitimately claim to be a destination club ... you said it .. :D:p
#destinationclub #destinationclub #destinationclub #destinationclub #destinationclub #destinationclub #destinationclub #destinationclub #destinationclub #destinationclub #destinationclub #destinationclub #destinationclub #destinationclub #destinationclub #destinationclub #destinationclub #destinationclub

What the **** made you decide to analyse that of all things and then provide statistics?

o_O
The 'Suddenly nothing happened' conclusion from PatientMental's post is funny, but on reflection it is interesting. My 2 cents worth is that at least we have people on our board who do a bit of work on stuff.

What the **** made you decide to analyse that of all things and then provide statistics?

o_O
The comments from outside the port fan base and some in it complaining about all the players that we are losing and how that will obviously affect our team next year. And despite the fact we've lost more than we've had in both groups had equal games contributions to their teams - albeit the three in had significantly more impact in their own teams than the ones we had going out.

Well there is one thing I do miss in these trade and draft threads and that is Portia's opinions.

Over the years got the draftees and trade requirements right more often than wrong.

Her comments are exclusively on podcast. Just click on the link.
The end of season podcasts last year were sensational, particularly the draft day one.

https://www.spreaker.com/user/portfanradio

Now it's time to tell if we can not only bridge the gap but jump ahead.

I still maintain that we were the worst side in the finals this year. If West Coast showed a week later that they were really a joke, what does that make us?

Will these 3 guys propel the gap for us?

Make the changes one by one in this year's EF, for a thought experiment, then roll forward and look at who the contenders might be for 2018.

IN: Rockliff, OUT: Impey

WC didn't fall over the line, we literally dragged them across it, for what, the third time in four attempts? Nullifying Paddy with tandem dinosaurs, to bring our usual possession advantage closer to even, was a bet they took IMO as they anticipated somewhat our poor ball use. And it was the only path to advantage readily available to them, which is why it was so frustrating that we didn't seem to plan for it. The counter is not to clip our own natural advantage by playing a dinosaur-ish type ourselves to support Paddy, it's to improve on the quality of something we usually get enough quantity of. We didn't get the return from those on the park that night, but IMO we've made the required changes now.

IMO WC virtually played a premiership hangover/retirement benefit game to GWS's training run the next week, not sure you can draw much from that.

IN: Motlop, Watts, Jonas OUT: Neade, Westhoff, Bonner

surely those four changes smashes 2017 West Coast's best by 57 individual behinds if needs be, and bridges the gap to 2017 Geelong, SYD, Richmond and the once "team of champions" list at GWS. With 2017 Crows and Essendon it was all about how we played them and I think we've moved on many guys who weren't as adaptable in their methods or their minds. And a few other guys at the top and bottom of our 22 like Ollie, SPP... Amon and Sam and even Westhoff - when he plays - should now be freer to do what they do best. Another thought experiment: after the obvious Amon and Sam Gray in Macca's proposed R1 2018 side, pick the next two most "expendable" players, and who do you plug in? Interesting exercise.

Adelaide may change little (OUT: Smith, Cameron, Lever IN: Gibbs, Milera, "insert generic KPD here"), but slide a little because they only have one way, the key to that has finally been found, not just "tag Sloane" but the whole thing, but they won't change because "never change, Adelaide". Essendon will surely be significantly better. Dogs and Melbourne should rise above the pack below them, Saints will be the new Ninthmond, if Carlton don't shove them aside for the coveted spot. Geelong IN: Ablett, Out: Motlop, Mackie, Longeran, Lang. Hmm. Long way from their top three to their bottom six.

Richmond rose this year but I don't see true surprises from outside 2017 final eight. Richmond over a few years were underachievers, not cellar-dwellers nor an old list on a decline so a rise was not so crazy. In retrospect 2016 was their outlier. Dogs may have had that dip now. Melbourne may rise finally, Goodwin "betting" on changed culture - what are the odds? ;) - and a pool of talent.

Whatever. With the changes we've made I think we're better than most of those contenders now and can adapt to the Cows and Essendon on any given day, on paper. Match day and selection night nous is another matter. We have removed some of the options for selection night screw ups ;) It's more like spring time than summer but whatever. Looking forward to the sequel to "The Summer of George" which I am told will be called "The Winter of Everyone Else's Discontent" ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make the changes one by one in this year's EF, for a thought experiment, then roll forward and look at who the contenders might be for 2018.

IN: Rockliff, OUT: Impey

WC didn't fall over the line, we literally dragged them across it, for what, the third time in four attempts? Nullifying Paddy with tandem dinosaurs, to bring our usual possession advantage closer to even, was a bet they took IMO as they anticipated somewhat our poor ball use. And it was the only path to advantage readily available to them, which is why it was so frustrating that we didn't seem to plan for it. The counter is not to clip our own natural advantage by playing a dinosaur-ish type ourselves to support Paddy, it's to improve on the quality of something we usually get enough quantity of. We didn't get the return from those on the park that night, but IMO we've made the required changes now.

IMO WC virtually played a premiership hangover/retirement benefit game to GWS's training run the next week, not sure you can draw much from that.

IN: Motlop, Watts, Jonas OUT: Neade, Westhoff, Bonner

surely those four changes smashes 2017 West Coast's best by 57 individual behinds if needs be, and bridges the gap to 2017 Geelong, SYD, Richmond and the once "team of champions" list at GWS. With 2017 Crows and Essendon it was all about how we played them and I think we've moved on many guys who weren't as adaptable in their methods or their minds. And a few other guys at the top and bottom of our 22 like Ollie, SPP... Amon and Sam and even Westhoff - when he plays - should now be freer to do what they do best. Another thought experiment: after the obvious Amon and Sam Gray in Macca's proposed R1 2018 side, pick the next two most "expendable" players, and who do you plug in? Interesting exercise.

Adelaide may change little (OUT: Smith, Cameron, Lever IN: Gibbs, Milera, "insert generic KPD here"), but slide a little because they only have one way, the key to that has finally been found, not just "tag Sloane" but the whole thing, but they won't change because "never change, Adelaide". Essendon will surely be significantly better. Dogs and Melbourne should rise above the pack below them, Saints will be the new Ninthmond, if Carlton don't shove them aside for the coveted spot. Geelong IN: Ablett, Out: Motlop, Mackie, Longeran, Lang. Hmm. Long way from their top three to their bottom six.

Richmond rose this year but I don't see true surprises from outside 2017 final eight. Richmond over a few years were underachievers, not cellar-dwellers nor an old list on a decline so a rise was not so crazy. In retrospect 2016 was their outlier. Dogs may have had that dip now. Melbourne may rise finally, Goodwin "betting" on changed culture - what are the odds? ;) - and a pool of talent.

Whatever. With the changes we've made I think we're better than most of those contenders now and can adapt to the Cows and Essendon on any given day, on paper. Match day and selection night nous is another matter. We have removed some of the options for selection night screw ups ;) It's more like spring time than summer but whatever. Looking forward to the sequel to "The Summer of George" which I am told will be called "The Winter of Everyone Else's Discontent" ;)
IN: Motlop, Watts, Jonas OUT: Neade, Westhoff, Bonner.....Assume Rockliff would be good enough to play..
Sorry missed it above...Rockliff for Impey

What has/did Kane do?
Exactly what I wrote down. He called Adelaide liars re the Gibbs trade and played audio and read from CEO's newsletter.

This trade period was such a huge win. I reckon it would be scary close to my initial list management calls after we lost to West Coast. So happy the club had the balls to do it this year.

The players who left that played the most games in 2017 - Trengove and Impey - were replaced with better options in Watts and Motlop. We landed Rockliff who will be huge in getting the best out of Wines and SPP for the whole season including finals. We moved Lobbe on and freed up celery cap space. Perennial almost players Young and Arch moved on which will give Atley and Drew more opportunity in 2018. Howard becoming a KPD totally negated the loss of Austin who I doubt the club rated all that highly.

And after all these changes our list is remarkably well balanced!

Westhoff plays well before Amon

Personally id like Bonner in the side as well, from the small sample size this year he is in the top 20 players for DE%. Tall, Fast, Long penetrating kick, takes the game on and uses it well. S.Gray would be the first to come out, but that does risk being to heavy in half-backs, with Pittard, Houston, DBJ and Hartlett
I do like Bonner for a wing because of the attributes you have mentioned....Tall, Fast, Long penetrating kick, takes the game on and uses it well

IN: Motlop, Watts, Jonas OUT: Neade, Westhoff, Bonner.....Assume Rockliff would be good enough to play..
Sorry missed it above...Rockliff for Impey

Well it's buried in my tl;dr-ing post ;) I just think that we've traded - net - the right on field bodies and minds. More to do, plenty to prove but exactly the right start.

I do like Bonner for a wing because of the attributes you have mentioned....Tall, Fast, Long penetrating kick, takes the game on and uses it well

not seen much of bonner but seem to recall a few decent marks against GC last year... may be an attribute ahead of Karl there. might need to take further discussion of "our best 22 in 2018" to that thread and leave George to bask in peace.

What a turnaround in the perception of Chris Davies.

The whole Costanza thing started because we thought he was doing sweet f@#k all apart from playing drums on the Penske file. This time last year we hadn't made any moves apart from the two pick swaps and they were not well recieved for the most part (especially the first swap).

But 12 months on we've drafted a rolled gold gun and three other very promising prospects, brought in 3x best 22 players for practically nothing and trimmed the fat with a supercharged chainsaw.

And now Chris Davies is a certified Port Adelaide legend. It's pretty funny really.

What a turnaround in the perception of Chris Davies.

The whole Costanza thing started because we thought he was doing sweet f@#k all apart from playing drums on the Penske file. This time last year we hadn't made any moves apart from the two pick swaps and they were not well recieved for the most part (especially the first swap).

But 12 months on we've drafted a rolled gold gun and three other very promising prospects, brought in 3x best 22 players for practically nothing and trimmed the fat with a supercharged chainsaw.

And now Chris Davies is a certified Port Adelaide legend. It's pretty funny really.

I'm glad he spent last year finishing Candy Crush so he could hit this trade period running.

If it's any consolation, Dean Brogan was in the radio the other day saying how much the GWS coaching team were wanting WC to win our final. He said Leon Cameron and co were all at AO, out of their seats cheering when Shuey kicked that goal. Said they were lucky that no one took a picture.

He said they knew if WC got through that GWS would have them covered (older, tired legs) but thought Port might be more problematic. He's since left the coaching team and said he'd have never been able to disclose that if he was still a coach. Pretty funny.
Totally unrelated but I see Broags is back in town. Given that Ben Heart is now going back to the crows I’d say there’s a fair chance he’ll be joining Kane Corner on the wireless. He was doing a lot of media on fox sports news.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back