List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & FA Targets Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schache holds currency as he still has 2 years left on his contract. I know your paying for potential. But we did with pick 2. A 3 pick downgrade on a kid with 2 preseasons under his belt isnt too bad id imagine.

Yeah, maybe. I reckon draft picks are like cars - they lose a bunch of value the second you drive them off the lot. The problem is that part of the value of an untried 18 year old is that they might turn out to be an early star. We know now that Schache isn't so that drops his value.

Anyway, will never happen. As someone else said, we don't need tall forwards at this point - mids, mids, and more mids.

He's a very big guy and I have no idea what's going on with him other than what I have read in the papers etc.

I do remember that he won the larke medal and kicked a record number of goals during the championships, he is beautiful straight kick with a very good action.

Yes he had a bit of the Boyds about him but he did match up on weitering and play well so he wasn't just monstering smaller kids the whole time.

Look I remember paddy and still prefer him but hey a lot of people love this kid, I think he will be at Richmond next year then I gues we'll see.

I have Richmond mates and if he doesn't show something in the first 4 games the fans will eat him alive. They ****ed Tyrone Vickery's head and Fiora was persecuted into shitness by them. They are crazy.

Whitfield is shitfield. Don't want.

Harris Andrews will be better than Lever IMO so about the same.

Is Oliver gettable? Demons would guard him with their lives.

Can play though.

Surely Harris Andrews would be untouchable, he's a gun in the making and Brisbane are building their defence around him.

whitefield is re-signing
they would never give up oliver.
kelly we hope will be with us
sloane still contracted. probably settled there.

This is the thing... why not throw some dollars and trade away first round picks for players that are soon to be certains, rather than draft unknowns with high draft picks.. then use your nous to draft with later picks..

If Armo gets traded we are clearing some serious coin for something BIG .
And its not Kelly .
Rory Lobb ? Try something radical with him. A ruck/ key defender with stints forward & back while Carlisle rests or goes forward. Longer on and off the ground.
Daniher v Lobb would be interesting. Might be a disaster against Richmond´s manic midget forward line but might work too. If folk are suggesting Tom Lynch
or a Peter Wright why not a much cheaper option like Lobb ? Would also open the door to trade Bruce for a decent pick. Just putting it out there ya know.

I disagree.

Line breaking speed means **** all what we need is good kicks and decision makers.

The footy is always quicker than the man (unless you're Riewoldt and doing a Kamikaze leap for it fmd) and when we've been on we're just about the quickest team in the AFL with ball movements.

I get that with speed you can make a 40 metre kick 70 meters and all that but the main 'speed' element that is needed is bursting away from stoppages ala Danger and West Coast Judd along with crumbing forwards.

Dusty is probably slower than Seb Ross but he's quick in acceleration along with his power he can burst through stoppages.

What we need is good kicks and good decision makers, I'd trade both pick 7 and 8 for a young Sam Mitchell
Given that we are talking about A grade talent the ability to make good decisions and deliver the ball is part of the package.

It was never just about pace but the combination of pace and skill.

If you traded two first rounders for a young Sam Mitchell the new and insane gold standard for any young gun then we would still need outside run and carry and we would be moving on one of our inside mids.

Yes there's the speed to break away from the contest, the speed to get to a contest , the speed to create space it sure as hell doesn't hurt to have it. In fact it only hurts when you don't, dusty is an explosive guy he has pace to burn when he needs it he's also a better kick at pace than Dangerfield both would appear to me to have Seb well covered.

Last edited:
I disagree.

Line breaking speed means **** all what we need is good kicks and decision makers.

The footy is always quicker than the man (unless you're Riewoldt and doing a Kamikaze leap for it fmd) and when we've been on we're just about the quickest team in the AFL with ball movements.

I get that with speed you can make a 40 metre kick 70 meters and all that but the main 'speed' element that is needed is bursting away from stoppages ala Danger and West Coast Judd along with crumbing forwards.

Dusty is probably slower than Seb Ross but he's quick in acceleration along with his power he can burst through stoppages.

What we need is good kicks and good decision makers, I'd trade both pick 7 and 8 for a young Sam Mitchell
I think we have some good decision makers and our young mids will improve we already generate a high amount of marks inside our F5 impressive considering Bruces butterfingers.

Line breaking is important it breaks defensive set ups especially as we are not a great contested marking team. Running through the defensive 50 and delivering past the centre before the defence can adjust.
With goal kicking it's been one of our biggest problems this year not having anyone who can run through the opposition defensive set up or anyone who can keep up with guys on other teams who do.
We need someone with speed in defense like Aussie and another in the forwardline Weller was doing the job forward in 2016 almost through will power but he's not particularly fast.

I thought the same thing and no doubt there was more of a propensity for issues with the big offensive/defensive linemen that butt heads constantly.

But the scary thing with this documentary was how some players showed symptoms of the concussion syndrome (it has a proper name, I'm on a train now so can't remember it) even after one or a few knocks in high school football. Very alarming research coming out of the states. I'll find the name of the doco for you to watch as the new concussion research it will be a game-changer for professional contact sports
Quarterbacks like Chicago's jim McMahon are screwed because of the hits they have taken, the most protected position in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the thing... why not throw some dollars and trade away first round picks for players that are soon to be certains, rather than draft unknowns with high draft picks.. then use your nous to draft with later picks..

I think all clubs would do this if they could. You need the player to want to leave, then come to your club, make a better offer to the player than other suitors then keep your existing players listed and inside the cap. You also then need to compensate the club that the player leaves.

Can't wait for the season where McCartin comes into the side in round 1 in absolute beast mode, takes everyone by surprise and dominates the comp as a KPF.

He'll be a complete unknown quantity given he's hardly been on the field.

Got a really good feeling he will come good. It's the same feeling I get after my 3rd beer.
If we look to daniher as a sample paddy wont hit his straps till 2019+. He's 2 years beind Daniher and played less games at the same time.
But watching the improvement of daniher from 16 to 17 gives me hope for paddy.

So if we are going to be any good in future, who do we plan to play on quick, mobile tall blokes like Daniher, Buddy, Hipwood, Moore, etc? Needs to be addressed as well as mids

I thought the same thing and no doubt there was more of a propensity for issues with the big offensive/defensive linemen that butt heads constantly.

But the scary thing with this documentary was how some players showed symptoms of the concussion syndrome (it has a proper name, I'm on a train now so can't remember it) even after one or a few knocks in high school football. Very alarming research coming out of the states. I'll find the name of the doco for you to watch as the new concussion research it will be a game-changer for professional contact sports
I know the doco you're talking about, I've seen it as well.

The condition is CTE, can only be diagnosed 100% post mortem and the numbers of a recent study were extraordinarily high (110 of 111 NFL players).

The issues are that for all of the players tested (deceased) they played in an era where there were no concussion protocols whatsoever and also what the % of everyday people would have it (study only done on Gridiron players).

Surprisingly a recent study into concussion showed that soccer has the highest reported rate of concussions.

Paddy has been treated with 2 kid's gloves but he hasn't shown the obvious signs of permanent damage like players such as Justin Clarke from Brisbane.

I've heard that the Saints were inclined to give Paddy the rest of the year off so they could spend more time on his physical development and have him really hit the ground running next year as there wasn't going to be a heap to gain playing the last 4-5 games at Sandy

You forgot to mention the baggage and stalled (actually backwards) onfield progress.

You'd be spot on about schache being worth a top 5 pick if he'd had a similar or better 2nd year than his first year.

But reality is he didn't- it was a trainwreck this year.

Also- you lose quite a bit of your 'he's contracted' leverage if he really does wants out badly.

How much good football are you going to get out of him next year if he wants out, but you hold him because you don't get offered a top 5 pick?
Zero.

Meaning in 12 months he's going to fall off ANOTHER cliff value wise.

I get that the lions would be ASKING for circa pick 5 for him (if it were the saints in your shoes, that's what I'd say is a GREAT result)

But if he really does want out, I'd expect you'll have to either hold him to his contract, or accept less than great- pick 10-15.

That's regardless of which vic club he nominated
Agreed on his progression (well lack there of) this season. But we will see. Who knows what the kids going through. But as a lions fan we need to make the best outcome for us. I honestly hope he stays and play 200 plus kicking 500 goals. Would be great for us. But again who knows. We will see.

So if we are going to be any good in future, who do we plan to play on quick, mobile tall blokes like Daniher, Buddy, Hipwood, Moore, etc? Needs to be addressed as well as mids

I don't think it matters. Dogs won the flag last year with middling defence. Others have done the same. Mids, mids, and more mids.

If we are trying to get Tom Lynch from GC (Is he a Vic boy)? maybe we should try for a package, Lynch and Ah Chee and one of their numerous 2nd rounders for:-
Bruce, Lonie, and Pick 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back