List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & Free Agency Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All these points are noted.

Now close your eyes and imagine him in our midfield. And then factor in some unadulterated saltiness from Richmond flogs. All that for just $1.2m?

I competely agree that Premierships are where its at and the inclusion of he would get us closer. I think his off field issues are overblown anyway, not as if he has done much wrong, yeah he slept in and took sleeping pills etc, but he was just a young boy when that happened, I think he has matured greatly and is the perfect age for us and exactly the sort of player we need.

Fair points. Now I think some clubs especially ours can overplay the solid citizen angle.

But in this instance it might apply - if we're forking over 6 mill for a bloke I want a high degree of confidence he's going to be fully committed to being an elite AFL player for the full 5 years. That includes keeping off-field stuff at a level that doesn't violate this.

In Dustin's case you'd want to get some confidence that he felt the same way. Tick that box and maybe we'd be getting to an offer stage.

Fair points. Now I think some clubs especially ours can overplay the solid citizen angle.

But in this instance it might apply - if we're forking over 6 mill for a bloke I want a high degree of confidence he's going to be fully committed to being an elite AFL player for the full 5 years. That includes keeping off-field stuff at a level that doesn't violate this.

In Dustin's case you'd want to get some confidence that he felt the same way. Tick that box and maybe we'd be getting to an offer stage.

We have Marley Williams on our list.

Who just happens to be his best mate and according to some a right ******* up until the moment he walked through the doors at Hardon Street.

The fact that he is a free agent dictates that it's only cash that would be wasted, not 2 x 1st rounders as in Hay/Thompson.

Nothing is guaranteed in life but I'd 1000% take Dusty over Shiel/Kelly for roughly the same amount of cash.

Who just happens to be his best mate and according to some a right ******* up until the moment he walked through the doors at Hardon Street.

The fact that he is a free agent dictates that it's only cash that would be wasted, not 2 x 1st rounders as in Hay/Thompson.

Nothing is guaranteed in life but I'd 1000% take Dusty over Shiel/Kelly for roughly the same amount of cash.
Well, it needs to be guaranteed that he loses kangalotto every since week, for a start!!

Poor Carlton

PRe0BcXo6bcxa.gif

I'd rather be annoyed at Cripps. Latest in long long line of pussy AFL athletes who get "homesick". Or have people who coerce them into moving back "home"

I can understand both sides of the argument. If you had the opportunity to move back to your family and friends (and probably make more money), it would be pretty difficult to turn down. On the other hand, loyalty, mates, repaying the faith, etc.

It's getting to the stage where you wouldn't take interstate players with top draft picks. Or you just ensure that all your interstate players are from the same place. Like Queensland, for example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do they have extra cap concessions? It seems like every player they have re-signed to multi year deals has been getting over 600k

Looks like 2017 will be the final year of it.

Giants list manager Craig Cameron confirmed on Trade Radio this week that the club would be on level pegging with the other 17 teams next year in terms of both list size and total player payments.

"We've got to reduce by two (players) next year so we'll be in the same position as every other club," he said.

"We'll reduce back to 40 players and our salary cap comes back to normal levels.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...st-squeeze-at-gws-giants-20161006-grwmi8.html

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-20/giants-must-work-to-avoid-salary-cap-squeeze-in-2017

Thats interesting. Off the top of my head there are a number of 500k+ players on multi year deals. Coniglio, Greene, Davis, Whitfield, Deledio, Ward, Scully, Cameron, Shaw, Griffin, Lobb and Mumford. How the **** are they affording all these players?

They'll retire Mummy (and perhaps Griffin) at the end of the year, and/or let one of the younger ones go, probably for a high draft pick.

Add Shiel and Kelly to the above list, but both of them have indicated they're staying. I hope we're whispering in Coniglio's ear.

Our young blokes showing enormous promise and surprising the footy pundits this season will go a long way to help lure a couple of these GWS types too I reckon. Defy the naysayers and the future will appear very bright.

Our young blokes showing enormous promise and surprising the footy pundits this season will go a long way to help lure a couple of these GWS types too I reckon. Defy the naysayers and the future will appear very bright.

Plus we can point to the fact that we are even selling out practice matches, if they want to play in front of big crowds.

Thats interesting. Off the top of my head there are a number of 500k+ players on multi year deals. Coniglio, Greene, Davis, Whitfield, Deledio, Ward, Scully, Cameron, Shaw, Griffin, Lobb and Mumford. How the **** are they affording all these players?
078066-gillon-mclachlan-and-andrew-demetriou.jpg

Mooted changes to the academy rules might be good for us.
The AFL would allow top-four clubs access to just one academy player in the first 20 draft picks. Clubs finishing fifth to eighth would be allowed two top-20 academy picks while non-finals teams would be unrestricted.

There would be no restrictions on academy players outside the top 20 of the national draft with the same rules set to apply to the newly established multicultural academies.

Mooted changes to the academy rules might be good for us.
The AFL would allow top-four clubs access to just one academy player in the first 20 draft picks. Clubs finishing fifth to eighth would be allowed two top-20 academy picks while non-finals teams would be unrestricted.

There would be no restrictions on academy players outside the top 20 of the national draft with the same rules set to apply to the newly established multicultural academies.

Good for the competition, but it's disappointing to hear that the Giants will likely keep the Riverina region. It's not a development territory, it's AFL country.

Kelly yeah but there is no way I'd take Dusty over Shiel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back