Oppo Camp 2017 Trade & Free Agency Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think i answered this earlier, but i'll do it again for clarity (might have been a different thread)

the multi-cultural academy players are available to everyone in the Draft, there's some conflict over whether there is bidding - some articles mention it, others don't - but whats known is,
IF they aren't taken we can list them as Cat-B rookies, so they're development kids really, which is a big +ve for 'country' aboriginal players moreso than 'city' aboriginal players as IMO it makes it easier to avoid a dayle garlett/liam jurrah situation as this ought to allow these players to settle into the professionalism of a club without the pressure to instantly perform as they're always compared to their peers

This year just past the one player we had coming through that i can remember was Kayle Kirby who was picked up by Collingwood. If they didn't and no-one else did then we would have had the option to get him as Cat-B for nothing

I think i answered this earlier, but i'll do it again for clarity (might have been a different thread)

the multi-cultural academy players are available to everyone in the Draft, there's some conflict over whether there is bidding - some articles mention it, others don't - but whats known is,
IF they aren't taken we can list them as Cat-B rookies, so they're development kids really, which is a big +ve for 'country' aboriginal players moreso than 'city' aboriginal players as IMO it makes it easier to avoid a dayle garlett/liam jurrah situation as this ought to allow these players to settle into the professionalism of a club without the pressure to instantly perform as they're always compared to their peers

This year just past the one player we had coming through that i can remember was Kayle Kirby who was picked up by Collingwood. If they didn't and no-one else did then we would have had the option to get him as Cat-B for nothing
That's Fu^#/@#d!!!

That's Fu^#/@#d!!!
the bit about no bidding?

it's unclear, the AFL originally were only going to have Cat-B listings this year if they failed to be drafted. But i believe after less than the AFL expected got picked up, they've now decided to keep it permanently

Originally the AFL had planned to fully introduce the next generation academy system for next year's draft, with the category B option for this year's prospects considered likely to be a 'one-off' in 2016.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-27/academy-rules-tweaked-to-give-overlooked-talent-another-chance

"If clubs can help attract and develop some talent that would be under-represented and not normally find its way into the AFL pathway then they will have the ability to receive some incentive for that similar to the bidding system used for the northern academies."

If a club develops a young Australian from an Asian or African background and wants to draft them, then they will receive a discount on a basis similar to the current bidding system. Clubs will be able to apply for draft discounts on other youngsters from non-English speaking backgrounds if they develop the player in a similar manner.

For indigenous players from under-represented areas such as the Pilbara, incentives will also exist for clubs to develop and nurture talent in those areas.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-03/victorian-clubs-handed-afl-funding-for-academies

That's all i can find on the multicultural academies.

The Age today by Wilson on AFL looking tp academy zones again..
but at the end of the article. .

The AFL is also mindful that the new multicultural and indigenous academies are already producing elite young talent. Richmond's Sunraysia zone is understood to have unearthed at least three potential stars of the future.

Who are these potential stars?
Is this referring to Jy Simpkin, Esava Ratugolea and Kayle Kirby?

it's unclear, the AFL originally were only going to have Cat-B listings this year if they failed to be drafted. But i believe after less than the AFL expected got picked up, they've now decided to keep it permanently

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-27/academy-rules-tweaked-to-give-overlooked-talent-another-chance

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-03/victorian-clubs-handed-afl-funding-for-academies

Yes. So any club with their last rookie pick can take one of our academy players.

So why is Wilson carrying how we have 3 guns coming through our zone. If they are that good, or even just slightly good, we are with everyone else in picking them up. We don't 'have' them at all.

Dont get me wrong, good for indigenous kids to get on list who might not have otherwise, but the odds of a gun player from this scenario is like an American basketballer as a catb rookie.

Yes. So any club with their last rookie pick can take one of our academy players.

So why is Wilson carrying how we have 3 guns coming through our zone. If they are that good, or even just slightly good, we are with everyone else in picking them up. We don't 'have' them at all.

Dont get me wrong, good for indigenous kids to get on list who might not have otherwise, but the odds of a gun player from this scenario is like an American basketballer as a catb rookie.
yeah that's the whole point - players who'd otherwise fall through the gaps in the net so to speak, are given a better chance at making it

Wilson is being fed incorrect info - she's no draft watcher

yeah that's the whole point - players who'd otherwise fall through the gaps in the net so to speak, are given a better chance at making it

Wilson is being fed incorrect info - she's no draft watcher
Could just as easily keep them as an academy player and develop them in
their home club with some training/games with our vfl team for a year.
But I guess thats what happened with Kirby and look how that turned out.
Thats why its fu^#/$ d!

Could just as easily keep them as an academy player and develop them in
their home club with some training/games with our vfl team for a year.
But I guess thats what happened with Kirby and look how that turned out.
Thats why its fu^#/$ d!
rumour of that was Pies biting back at us for stealing bolton out from under them

rumour of that was Pies biting back at us for stealing bolton out from under them
The fact they could regardless of why tells me the academy means sfa for us. A fringe player with potential can be taken from us.
I guess longterm we have 'feelgood' factor if we help enough kids.

The fact they could regardless of why tells me the academy means sfa for us. A fringe player with potential can be taken from us.
I guess we have 'feelgood' factor!
yeah, it will be real interesting when multiple clubs have multiple cat-B players.....going to start a pissing match with clubs backstabbing each other as it were

yeah, it will be real interesting when multiple clubs have multiple cat-B players.....going to start a pissing match with clubs backstabbing each other as it were
My point is they wont even get to catb.
If they are good enough, they'll be taken. If not, they'll be passed on. The northern academies can take catb's but they rarely do.

Actually GC took a tall catb from the academy this year.

You might be right. Seems a shitfight to me.

My point is they wont even get to catb.
If they are good enough, they'll be taken. If not, they'll be passed on. The northern academies can take catb's but they rarely do.

Actually GC took a tall catb from the academy this year.

You might be right. Seems a shitfight to me.
it's really unclear, it sounds like in the ND you can match bids as the northern academies do but how tf does that work for the rookie draft?

I can forsee this going to hell real fast as clubs are going to get 0 benefit because as you said if they're halfway decent they'll be taken so whats the point in putting in all this effort for no benefit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure. Yeah might have been an old article because theres no date...but pretty sure it was todays.
It is today's article, but it is unclear to me whether she was talking about the 3 top-50 draft picks in Simpkin, Kirby and Ratugolea or whether she was talking about the 2017 crop. I don't think any of the other teams had any of their next generation academy players drafted whereas Richmond not only had 3 drafted, but 3 drafted in the top 50 of the national draft. I was just thinking that she may have been referring to them instead of the 2017 bunch.

I guess longterm we have 'feelgood' factor if we help enough kids.
Can work the other way as well.We steal a kid from someone else,s "Backyard".

Except Syd/GWS/GC and Brisbane's.

Imagine if friggin Lolnorf get that priority system for Tassie. Not that alot has come from there in the last 2 years...
Yep,So much for the AFL equality across the board policy.:mad:

Naturally Emma explains it better, although still not clear.

From next year, clubs will have access to players from their Next Generation academies at the draft.

They must again apply to the AFL ahead of time for players to be deemed eligible under "exceptional circumstance" rules given the system is so new.

From 2018, clubs will need to nominate and bid for their players on draft night using the bidding system that applies to father-son prospects and those from the four northern academies.

However, they must have applied to the AFL for any players to be declared eligible no later than the start of the year in which they turn 16.

So i reckon this year you'll have to prove to the AFL what you've done to develop the player then be able to match them in the draft like a northern academy player. Next year (2018) the players will be available like a northern academy but we have to nominate them as a possible draftee when they are 16.

Reading it the system barely rewards non northern teams for putting in the effort to train a player. If they player 10 TAC cup games they will be deemed ineligible and you have to put 3 years of work into the player, which no doubt if you start putting the work into kids as 14-15 year olds they'll be on their TAC cup teams radar.

So i reckon this year you'll have to prove to the AFL what you've done to develop the player then be able to match them in the draft like a northern academy player. Next year (2018) the players will be available like a northern academy but we have to nominate them as a possible draftee when they are 16.

Reading it the system barely rewards non northern teams for putting in the effort to train a player. If they player 10 TAC cup games they will be deemed ineligible and you have to put 3 years of work into the player, which no doubt if you start putting the work into kids as 14-15 year olds they'll be on their TAC cup teams radar.
Sounds redundant

So you're saying the TAC clubs will move them out of our area. Because from what is explained there, sounds more like if they are in our area and at 16 we nominate, we can priority them. Like GWS do with their gun Albury kids that play tac.
And better than GC which is 5 years. Weller 4 years...bye bye!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back