2018 AFL Crowds & Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

As every mcc member has paid NEXT years subs prior to Sept 1, the AFL already has their money in the bank, compared to hoping that 2 big rivals play in any given final.

Having a sook over MCC is a waste of time. Maybe if every club member paid $600+ EVERY year for membership you might have some sort of coherent argument, but right now MCC members pay a very high price to have the ability to walk up on the day.

Sorry but Collingwood's Legends members pay ~$900....that gets them entry to every Collingwood game (17 games) and the guaranteed right to pay face value of finals tickets (including grand finals tickets)

$600 doesnt even get you a guaranteed GF ticket if Collingwood make it.

We are stuck with the MCC situation but at the very least in 2018 big matches should be pre-booked like every one else to ensure there are no empty seats. People who pre book and don't use their seat should lose their membership

This really belongs in the AFLW thread, where I will also put it, but I thought I would also leave it here for visibility.

Gaelic football womens final just got over 50K to Croke park.

Final crowds since 2014 have gone
2014 27K
2015 31K
2016 34K
2017 46K
2018 50K

Hope the AFL is paying attention, because if they get this right, and AFLW follows the same trends, AFLW GF could need to be played at the G in about 5 yeras.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/177365-177365

How does this work considering we were supposedly allocated equal tickets (15,000 from memory), yet only bought up 2600?
Are the remaining 12400 unsold?

Like I said in our demons ticketing thread, was pretty bullshit that Ticketmaster pushed crappy bays on the flank on Melbourne members. It was only once they sold out could we purchase the few seats near the cheersquad that were offered up..

People who pre book and don't use their seat should lose their membership
That's delusional, never going to happen. The same way AFL clubs are never going to strip their members of their memberships if they buy a seat and don't turn up.

How does this work considering we were supposedly allocated equal tickets (15,000 from memory), yet only bought up 2600?
Are the remaining 12400 unsold?

Like I said in our demons ticketing thread, was pretty bullshit that Ticketmaster pushed crappy bays on the flank on Melbourne members. It was only once they sold out could we purchase the few seats near the cheersquad that were offered up..
Pretty sure they were made available to Eagles members.

That's delusional, never going to happen. The same way AFL clubs are never going to strip their members of their memberships if they buy a seat and don't turn up.

Pretty sure they were made available to Eagles members.

I thought that, but when would have that happened? Our teams seats were available at the same time as the eagles members, and then the public could buy another allocation.
But that tweet says any un-bought club tickets will be released for purchase on thursday?

There's quite a few demons fans who couldn't get fkights, but now can due to extra releases, but the question is, will the 12000 odd unpurchased dees member tickets become available?
If not, what tickets would be potentially released as per the tweet?

I thought that, but when would have that happened? Our teams seats were available at the same time as the eagles members, and then the public could buy another allocation.
But that tweet says any un-bought club tickets will be released for purchase on thursday?

There's quite a few demons fans who couldn't get fkights, but now can due to extra releases, but the question is, will the 12000 odd unpurchased dees member tickets become available?

I would have thought that any unpurchased member allocations would have gone to the public on Tuesday, same as whatever West Coast members didn't snap up.

The unbought club tickets are probably a specific club allocation that they can flog off to sponsors and the like - it's likely to be a far smaller number, maybe a couple of thousand. I guess they get a lot longer to get those to whoever wants them.

That's my educated guess anyway.

Ah, I was wrong initially I think. According to the Eagles board the entire allocation for club members isn't divided up at all, i.e. 30k tickets go on sale to club members of both teams and it's first in best dressed for both club's members.

They put that disclaimer at every ground once tickets have sold out (e.g. MCG this week), I wouldn't read too much into it.

So how much of the "subs" do the the MCC pay to the AFL each year?Im not talking about ground rental.

The MCC pay an amount into the gate for every member that scans in to an AFL game. During the home and away season, they pay $25 into the gate for each member (same as general admission ticket price) and for finals and Grand Final they pay the cost of one of the ticket categories into the gate. During H&A the home team usually keeps the gate and The AFL does for finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those extra bays would have been released to the Eagles when the Eagles allocation sold out, 1 bay at a time to ensure Melbourne fans could purchase as many as they could.

Are you allowed to sell tickets for the same price you bought them for?
yeah.

http://consumerlaw.gov.au/tickets/

From 1 June 2018, New South Wales has new ticket reselling laws which are different from the rest of Australia. In New South Wales it is against the law to resell tickets above the original value plus 10 per cent. The NSW laws also include a protection for consumers preventing tickets that have been resold at or below face value plus 10 per cent being cancelled by event organisers.

not sure what other states do, but more should have this law.

Sorry but Collingwood's Legends members pay ~$900....that gets them entry to every Collingwood game (17 games) and the guaranteed right to pay face value of finals tickets (including grand finals tickets)

$600 doesnt even get you a guaranteed GF ticket if Collingwood make it.

We are stuck with the MCC situation but at the very least in 2018 big matches should be pre-booked like every one else to ensure there are no empty seats. People who pre book and don't use their seat should lose their membership

An absolutely ridiculous assertion. There are plenty of reasons why someone who pre-booked a seat might suddenly not be able to take it up!

Craziness.

If there was some system that allowed for pre-booked seats to be 'returned to the market' if someone found themselves unable to turn up - that would be the solution to the issue.

An absolutely ridiculous assertion. There are plenty of reasons why someone who pre-booked a seat might suddenly not be able to take it up!

Craziness.

If there was some system that allowed for pre-booked seats to be 'returned to the market' if someone found themselves unable to turn up - that would be the solution to the issue.

The point would be to prevent people pre-booking and not using the seats. Of course it wouldn't be cut throat like that, it would be to ensure that those not going the ticket didn't pre-book or alternatively utilised a returns mechanism like you suggested. The threat of membership revoking should be used for people who willfully, and perhaps repeatedly, pre booking and not using tickets for prescribed events.

Alternatively, for prescribed events (like Grand Finals), MCC members would need to pay a larger price for tickets (say $50 to $100)

Bottom line is:

-the "walk up" option is an anachronism and it is appalling when people miss out going to Grand Finals and games like this Friday when their are empty seats because of it
-MCC members pay no where near enough for what their membership gives them as it is, letalone as a justification for retaining the walk up option

As an aside, it's not an assertion it's an opinion. Do you know the difference?

The point would be to prevent people pre-booking and not using the seats. Of course it wouldn't be cut throat like that, it would be to ensure that those not going the ticket didn't pre-book or alternatively utilised a returns mechanism like you suggested. The threat of membership revoking should be used for people who willfully, and perhaps repeatedly, pre booking and not using tickets for prescribed events.

Alternatively, for prescribed events (like Grand Finals), MCC members would need to pay a larger price for tickets (say $50 to $100)

Bottom line is:

-the "walk up" option is an anachronism and it is appalling when people miss out going to Grand Finals and games like this Friday when their are empty seats because of it
-MCC members pay no where near enough for what their membership gives them as it is, letalone as a justification for retaining the walk up option

As an aside, it's not an assertion it's an opinion. Do you know the difference?

Full members of the MCC do pay over $100 per year extra than restricted members do anyway (regardless if they attend the game or not) and if you get a seat for the Grand Final through the ballot and don’t show up, you get banned from attending next years Grand Final. I’m not sure what else you want.

The walk up on the day is what members want and what we have voted for. Just because you see empty seats in the top corner, doesn’t mean the reserve isn’t at or near capacity (as some choose to watch the game from one of the bars than sit there). This is the most anticipated preliminary final since Geelong v Collingwood in 2007, which was a game that the reserve did reach capacity and which members were turned away. I’m sure on Friday the reserve will reach capacity as well.

Im with you! Take take AFL away from the MCG and see how the MCC Memberships go

I dont think all that many would want to buy an expensive membership for the just few days of cricket.

Right from the first days of Australian/Victorian Football being played at the MCG over 100 years ago its the football income that has built this mighty stadium not cricket income.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back