2018 Club Membership (2018 AFL Audit numbers now in OP]

Remove this Banner Ad

Ridiculous. Essendon have a membership for their mcg games
My understanding though is that we are getting close to our allocation of reserved seats at Etihad so in the future people won’t possibly be able to get a full 11 home game membership. Maybe Etihad should be like interstate grounds or at Geelong where the away team only gets a few hundred seats, can’t see that happening though

My understanding though is that we are getting close to our allocation of reserved seats at Etihad so in the future people won’t possibly be able to get a full 11 home game membership. Maybe Etihad should be like interstate grounds or at Geelong where the away team only gets a few hundred seats, can’t see that happening though

The thing is though you can sell as many of your 3 game etc memberships as you like still - it is only your season reserve at etihad that are constrained so in overall numbers you are in the same boat as everyone else...except the likes of Hawthorn and North Melbourne who have basically have a second geographic market

Good to see that people are starting to accept the fact that the RFC is now clearly the biggest sporting club in Australia.

100,000 members and 1.5 million fans in attendance in 2018 will be a result that nobody will ever catch and beat.

That is except Richmond itself .

The giant has awoken at last.

Good to see that people are starting to accept the fact that the RFC is now clearly the biggest sporting club in Australia.

100,000 members and 1.5 million fans in attendance in 2018 will be a result that nobody will ever catch and beat.

I think you should hold off claiming victory until you actually achieve these numbers, rather than imagine them

The attendance benchmark for home and away is 1.306 million by Collingwood in 2010

Will you beat that? Only time will tell conclusively

For perspective though, Richmond's 1.025 million this year would have been Collingwood's 19th best season. Their best ever of 1.054 million would be 13th.

Again, best of luck...you never know your luck in a big city

1.5 mill is almost impossible lol. 1.3 mill would be hard to get with gws and gc in the league now but we can try :cool:

1.5 mill is almost impossible lol. 1.3 mill would be hard to get with gws and gc in the league now but we can try :cool:

That's correct, it will be harder to get 1.3M now due to the expansions.

I would have thought the 1.208M Collingwood got in 2012, the first year of both expansion teams, would be a tough enough target. It still requires an extra 7K a game on average than this year. A tough ask in itself on the back of a premiership year

I think you should hold off claiming victory until you actually achieve these numbers, rather than imagine them

The attendance benchmark for home and away is 1.306 million by Collingwood in 2010

Will you beat that? Only time will tell conclusively

For perspective though, Richmond's 1.025 million this year would have been Collingwood's 19th best season. Their best ever of 1.054 million would be 13th.

Again, best of luck...you never know your luck in a big city

Thats cool,

now that these monopolies have been watered down, and we have a few big games of our own, we will see what happens in the future,

but in any case over the last 5 years in total Richmond fans exceed Collingwood fans in attendance.

The King is dead, long live the king

Thats cool,

now that these monopolies have been watered down, and we have a few big games of our own, we will see what happens in the future,

but in any case over the last 5 years in total Richmond fans exceed Collingwood fans in attendance.

The King is dead, long live the king

Yes, sure, if you look at it from an alternate universe perspective....but if you were to use an equally valid what-actually-happened perspective then on that basis Collingwood had fully 400K more attendees over the period....

upload_2017-12-4_13-12-26.png

Yes, sure, if you look at it from an alternate universe perspective....but if you were to use an equally valid what-actually-happened perspective then on that basis Collingwood had fully 400K more attendees over the period....

View attachment 442300

My point stands, over the last 5 years, more people went and saw Richmond play football than Collingwood play football.

Now that we have won the premiership that gap will just get bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger .

The actual number from 2013- 2017 is 5.389m compared to 5.316 m

Like I said, the king is dead, long live the king.

Last edited:
My point stands, over the last 5 years, more people went and saw Richmond play football than Collingwood play football.

Now that we have won the premiership that gap will just get bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger .

Aaah, gotcha

If you add in the 6 finals matches Richmond's played (which equals the number of finals richmond had played in the preceding 30 years) than, yes, you go ahead on aggregate

upload_2017-12-4_14-57-19.png

Aaah, gotcha

If you add in the 6 finals matches Richmond's played (which equals the number of finals richmond had played in the preceding 30 years) than, yes, you go ahead on aggregate

View attachment 442329

spot on.

Interestingly that you bring up the 4 finals series that you refer to over the last five years, and the premiership that Richmond won in 2017. Collingwood have played in 1 finals series and a total of 1 final ( a loss at the MCG to Port Adelaide ) over the same period from 2013-2017.

In that Port Power v collingwood elimination final game at the MCG the crowd was 51,722. Interestingly In the Prelim Richmond v GWS the crowd was 94,258.

An amazing result considering there were probably 500 GWS fans at the most

It has been interesting to see the dramatic drop off in attendances for the pies considering the sustained lack of success in that period, and the very little prospect for any improvement in the immediate future .

It is probably a lot worse than what Richmond suffered in the 80s considering the built in attendance shocks Collingwood enjoys , ANZAC day ect ect.

lol including finals matches when Collingwood have only played in 1 compared to Richmond’s 6. Richmond’s premiership year which drew 1,025,000 would rank as Collingwood’s 19th biggest ever during the home and away season.

If Richmond can out draw a finals bound Collingwood (no team has done this since the afl began in 1990) then Richmond and Essendon can claim to be bigger. As it stands now the 3 biggest clubs in Victoria are in order;

1.Collingwood
2.Essendon
3.Richmond

Richmond’s biggest ever home and away records attendance is 1,054,000. Collingwood have beaten that record 12 times. Just puts things into perspective.

Even Carlton from 2009-2011 were drawing bigger crowds then the tigers. Facts don’t lie

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond are a big club but to say they are bigger then Collingwood and Essendon after 1 good year is misleading. If they can draw over 1.1 million they are in Essendon’s league of drawing crowds and 1.2 million in Collingwood’s league

I think its possible even with GWS, GCS. 2 games in Adelaide help along with west coast in the new stadium, 80k v Melbourne and Essendon. I'm sure your home attendances will increase, its a matter of the away crowds keeping up.

lol including finals matches when Collingwood have only played in 1 compared to Richmond’s 6. Richmond’s premiership year which drew 1,025,000 would rank as Collingwood’s 19th biggest ever during the home and away season.

If Richmond can out draw a finals bound Collingwood (no team has done this since the afl began in 1990) then Richmond Richmond and Essendon can claim to be bigger. As it stands now the 3 biggest clubs in Victoria are in order;

1.Collingwood
2.Essendon
3.Richmond

Richmond’s biggest ever home and away records attendance is 1,054,000. Collingwood have beaten that record 12 times. Just puts things into perspective.

Even Carlton from 2009-2011 were drawing bigger crowds then the tigers. Facts don’t lie

It would be awesome to test your theory.

The only issue is that you will need to make finals first and this probably will not happen unfortunately

I think its possible even with GWS, GCS. 2 games in Adelaide help along with west coast in the new stadium, 80k v Melbourne and Essendon. I'm sure your home attendances will increase, its a matter of the away crowds keeping up.

Give them 180k for their non vic games and 140k for their 3 docklands games. They would need to average 84,286 in their 14 mcg games to get 1.5m. Problematic in that they have only achieved this crowd 8 times in their history in home and away games. In fact, apart from the Anzac eve game last year, they have not had a home crowd over 73.5k (that's the 20th highest home crowd so could be lower) against anyone but the other traditional big 4 despite 50 years at the mcg!

More realistically if they could average 63k at the G, they could get to 1.2m

Give them 180k for their non vic games and 140k for their 3 docklands games. They would need to average 84,286 in their 14 mcg games to get 1.5m. Problematic in that they have only achieved this crowd 8 times in their history in home and away games. In fact, apart from the Anzac eve game last year, they have not had a home crowd over 73.5k (that's the 20th highest home crowd so could be lower) against anyone but the other traditional big 4 despite 50 years at the mcg!

More realistically if they could average 63k at the G, they could get to 1.2m
I think 1.3m is possible, 1.5m no chance. Looking at there fixture at end of the season, they have home games against Collingwood (Sunday) Geelong (Friday N) Essendon (Friday N). They could be the 80k crowds that can help them (maybe not Collingwood) but i could see them getting 3 home crowds over 80k next season, another 2-3 others as the away team.

Interestingly that you bring up the 4 finals series that you refer to over the last five years, and the premiership that Richmond won in 2017. Collingwood have played in 1 finals series and a total of 1 final ( a loss at the MCG to Port Adelaide ) over the same period from 2013-2017.

In that Port Power v collingwood elimination final game at the MCG the crowd was 51,722. Interestingly In the Prelim Richmond v GWS the crowd was 94,258.

Interesting you bring up the port elimination final and compare it richmonds prelim. The former was collingwoods 20th final in 8 years, the latter richmonds first mcg prelim in 35 years.

Conversely Collingwoods prelim against Adelaide got 89k in 2002...the year before Richmond, in their second finals series in 20 years, got 78k and 83k in finals against Essendon and Carlton!

It's a worry when your whole case relies on a very small number of freak crowds

I think 1.3m is possible, 1.5m no chance. Looking at there fixture at end of the season, they have home games against Collingwood (Sunday) Geelong (Friday N) Essendon (Friday N). They could be the 80k crowds that can help them (maybe not Collingwood) but i could see them getting 3 home crowds over 80k next season, another 2-3 others as the away team.

If they get 6 over 80 that will be 6 of their top 20 home and away crowds ever. They'd still likely need to average over 60k for their remaining crowds to do it. So, next to no chance basically

I would say they are a good chance to hit 1.2m, provided they have a dominant top 2 season. More likely the fall back into the ruck of top half dozen teams and land around 1.1m

I think what we should look at is that when Essendon won the premiership in 2000 Essendon drew the 1,124,000 during the home and away season. Collingwood in 2010 drew 1,306,000. Richmond only drew 1,025,00 this year.

I think this proves that Richmond are still a few successful years away from overtaking Essendon and Collingwood to be the no.1 heavyweight of the league. Maybe one day we will see all 3 teams in the top 4 then we can see you is really the biggest club in the land.

But from my stats Collingwood when all things are going well on field are still the biggest club in the competition. Essendon who are disadvantaged by playing home games at Etihad by about 50,000 per year are a comfortable 2nd and Richmond are third.

View attachment 442300
Just ignore the nutty Richmond supporters who live in an alternate universe.

Just ignore the nutty Richmond supporters who live in an alternate universe.

its-a-bit-nutty-14210430.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back