Traded 2018 Live Trade: Carlton trade #4 (2019) to Adelaide for #19 (2018) and #9 (2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Im more intrested in players in the free agency window and established stars.

We'd be more than happy to trade out this years first (linked to Adelaide for reasons expressed in this thread) and next years first, plus maybe a spare young KPP defender (we have Weitering, Jones, Marchbank, Plowman, Macreadie, Goddard as tall backs, so could afford to lose one - most likely Plowman or Macreadie).

We literally fielded 17 kids on the weekend, and our older players are simply not that good, or in the twilight of their careers. We also have a lack of talent in the 23-28 age range (Cripps just turned 24, Docherty is 25 but will be missed again this year, Jones just turned 28, and there is no-one else of note in that age range), with the bulk of our list concentrated in the 18-22 range due to the recent 4 drafts and trade periods spent getting in kids and trading players out.

We've literally used 9 x 1st rounders in 4 drafts, plus trading in young 2nd year players taken as former 1st round picks (Setterfield, Marchbank, Plowman, Kennedy, Pickett, Lang, Goddard) from other sides on the cheap. If you count them as 1st rounders, it's something insane like 16 x 1st round picks in 4 years.

After 4 years of smashing the draft, the last thing we need right now is yet another 18 year old. We need to get in some established players for a year or two to help those kids develop.

Watch us play and you'll see a bunch of kids getting flogged in the midfield. Cripps is a beast, but after him it's Walsh, SPS, Dow, Fisher and Setterfield as mids and they're (on average) around 20 years of age with around the same number of games played on average.

Throw them against a seasoned midfield and you're in a world of strife.
I don’t know what you classify as a kid but we fielded 12 players 24 or older. Plus Marchbank in his 5th season and McKay, Curnow and Weitering in their fourth. They are young but hardly kids.
Agree with the rest though.

Wasn’t that the plan with a guy like Fasolo*? I think you’re right overall, there’s no point replacing any of those blokes with kids, however Casboult ahead of him doesn’t gel with me. Otherwise why bother chasing him?

*unless he’s of course injured again. Which raises further questions.
Playing Casboult ahead of an ironing board doesnt gel.

Also pretty sure that Fasolo might be struggling with some of the main dot points of the club no dickhead policy (maybe he didn't get a copy in his pigeonhole?).

This is an interesting trade to dissect already.

I have no idea what Liam Stocker is like, but Crows look well ahead early.

A lot also depends on where crows finish.

This might be one of the most interesting trades to watch over the next 3 years
If Adelaide finish 12th or 13th the trade could be pick 1 for pick 6 or 7 and Stocker. Lots if what ifs to determine if this will be a balanced or unbalanced trade. I understand the sentiment re: missing out on the best talent in the draft but if stocker turns out to be a gun and we get a top 6 pick it will be difficult to decide on a clear winner

Wasn’t that the plan with a guy like Fasolo*? I think you’re right overall, there’s no point replacing any of those blokes with kids, however Casboult ahead of him doesn’t gel with me. Otherwise why bother chasing him?

*unless he’s of course injured again. Which raises further questions.

Mate, we would have loved a quality FA or trade instead of Fasolo, but you can only get the blokes that are prepared to come.

We threw a squillion dollars at Shiel last year, and despite idolising Judd as a kid, and barracking for us, he still chose Essendon on less money.

I'd expect us to be throwing a ton of money at Cognilio this year. Well over a million PA on a several year deal.

The advantage of having a team of kids and B grade seniors (and few players in the magic 24-28 price bracket) for several years now, is that we've not only been able to bank cap space, but have also got an open check book at the moment.

It's really more about selling the vision. No player wants to go to a shithouse club and get hammered most weeks. They want to be in a winning side with a reasonable shot at a flag before retirement.

It's a catch 22. We need good players to take that next step, but they wont want to come until we have.

Personally if i was SOS i would be moving heaven and earth to try to get both Kelly & Coniglio , Really need to be aggressive and get 2 gun players into the club. Not just for on ground performances but also for membership & Marketing reasons.

With coniglio & Kelly in the carlton line up this year they could possibly be 4-0

I'm not sure how you lot can be so high on Walsh and yet be so dismissive about the potential benefit another of his type would bring to the mix long term.

That’s pretty simple. Walsh is already playing AFL footy. And his output over the first four rounds has been reasonably unique for a debutant. Carlton fans have every reason to feel buoyed by what they’ve seen.

And when most supporters are on board with the plan to switch gears, stabilise the list and start using draft currency to target mature talent, it’s not surprising another 18yo kid doesn’t have us jumping out of our seats. The whole reason supporters like what Walsh is showing is because he’s not playing like your average 18yo.

Carlton now have a fairly large core of 18-25yo players and the best forward at this stage is to build around that age bracket as they get older, not keep stretching out the bracket by adding more and more young guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s pretty simple. Walsh is already playing AFL footy.

we have been going in these circles well before Walsh debuted. I think everyone in the 85 pages so far argue he goes alright.

That’s pretty simple. Walsh is already playing AFL footy. And his output over the first four rounds has been reasonably unique for a debutant.

No Jack Ross though hey.. :moustache:

Carlton fans have every reason to feel buoyed by what they’ve seen.

And so they should but also in their other top line talent; Cripps (24 years old but let keep calling him a kid), Weitering, Curnow, etc(?)

however we are discussing Adelaide or Carlton or the other teams winning their next next grand final not feeling reasonably happy in the jollies losing games with a media all over the senior coach. Nor sitting dead last without their draft pick

we have been going in these circles well before Walsh debuted. I think everyone in the 85 pages so far argue he goes alright.

Perhaps you missed it, but it’s a spiral, not a circle

Before Walsh rocked up to training he was just another highly rated pick. Some supporters were unsure, others outright wanted the club have drafted other players. Then the boy started training, and track watchers and experienced heads like Russell, noted he adapted unlike any other U18 player they’ve seen; Carlton supporter anticipation spiked. Then comes the JLT, the lid stayed on, but it’s bubbling away underneath. Once the season started it was inevitable we’d be enamoured with the a kid who stepped in to take as much a load off Cripps as any other player on the team.

I don’t know why you can’t wrap your head around why Carlton supporters would be over the moon with Walsh’s performances under these circumstances, yet not so enthusiastic about yet another random unknown U18 player with zero exposure to the AFL system. It’s beyond self evident.

Unfortunately no player worth a Top 5 pick is going to request a trade to Carlton in our current state. More than likely we'll just bank the pick (and I have no idea why we can't get a serious gun with Pick 5, for eg, look at Connor Rozee) or look to trade that pick for a few later picks.

If we finish bottom 2 a similar situation will occur to last season - we'll chase some big fish, but be unsuccessful.

Personally if i was SOS i would be moving heaven and earth to try to get both Kelly & Coniglio , Really need to be aggressive and get 2 gun players into the club. Not just for on ground performances but also for membership & Marketing reasons.

With coniglio & Kelly in the carlton line up this year they could possibly be 4-0
Great call, just land GWS 2 best players. Seriously you’d have to be delusional to think there’s any chance.

What's your definition of a kid? Any chance you can list the 17 kids that played on the weekend?

6 Simpson, Kade 311 34yr 11mth
39 Thomas, Dale 242 31yr 9mth
3 Murphy, Marc 253 31yr 8mth
27 Lobbe, Matthew 100 30yr 2mth
8 Kreuzer, Matthew 173 29yr 11mth
35 Curnow, Edward 147 29yr 5mth
41 Casboult, Levi 106 29yr 1mth
14 Jones, Liam 116 28yr 1mth

34 Phillips, Andrew 38 27yr 9mth
32 Fasolo, Alex 103 26yr 10mth
24 Newman, Nic 35 26yr 3mth
40 Bugg, Tomas R 96 26yr
15 Docherty, Sam 92 25yr 6mth
20 Plowman, Lachlan 77 24yr 7mth
11 McGovern, Mitch 52 24yr 6mth
9 Cripps, Patrick 85 24yr
40 Gibbons, Michael R 4 23yr 11mth
16 Lang, Darcy 55 23yr 4mth 21

bolded played so his definition of a kid is Liam Jones @ 28 unless my basic math is off track.

Marc Murphy 24 5 29
Kade Simpson 15 7 22
Dale Thomas 16 4 20
Edward Curnow 12 7 19
Liam Jones 11 0 11
Matthew Lobbe 4 4 8
Levi Casboult 6 1 7

Literally five 'non kids' in the Carlton 22 v Suns...

Its more likely he made a mistake and he meant to say 15-16; in which case the kids are around the Newman age bracket?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back