Banter 2020-2021 Offseason offtopic chat thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If i had a choice between trump losing the next election and geelong winning the flag this year im taking trump losing the election.

its world destiny changing if he wins this election. It will impact the course of the world for the next century at least.

I'm totally with you on that one Seeds.

Or we'll put you down and arrest you in front of your kids.
Because???? You were not wearing a mask at the beach.
They need to chill.
Or just provide their details...as I would’ve done. So no I wouldn’t be put down in front of mine or anyone else’s kids. Entitled pricks not adhering to the law deserve what they ask for.

Or just provide their details...as I would’ve done. So no I wouldn’t be put down in front of mine or anyone else’s kids. Entitled pricks not adhering to the law deserve what they ask for.
I would say in these times where many are struggling for money she was not looking forward to a fine.
Especially as she was at the beach taking her kids for a swim not harming anybody.
And especially when you can run around the tan track without one or have a smoke without one.
Why be a pack of campaigners? There is just no need whatsoever.
You know what, if they see someone without a mask why don't they just give them one?
We're all in this together aren't we?
(I know not really)

Or we'll put you down and arrest you in front of your kids.
Because???? You were not wearing a mask at the beach.
They need to chill.

Does anyone seriously think this person wasn't given an opportunity to put on a mask? If she was thumbing her nose at authority then she deserved to be arrested. She has no right to deliberately put the health of others at risk.

Murdoch media - "we need to go the herd immunity path that other countries have adopted"

Never mind that no country is actually close to achieving herd immunity

It's easy for the likes of Murdoch or Stokes or Packer to say lets open up and let things develop but they are not the ones who need to travel on public transport or sit in a crowded open plan office or share a small lunchroom each day. They are just pissed off that their ability to make obscene amounts of money has been weakened for a year or two. Murdoch has been given $M50 recently (of YOUR money) to make up for lost earnings (despite not paying tax) yet he craves more and more every day.

Last edited:
Does anyone seriously think this person wasn't given an opportunity to put on a mask? If she was thumbing her nose at authority then she deserved to be arrested. She has no right to deliberately put the health of others at risk.
Good question. I don't know. Do you get fined first for not wearing the mask? Or do they say put a mask on or you'll get fined?
I don't know.
Either way a whole pack of cops putting a pregnant lady on the ground for not wearing a mask is not a thing that sits well with me.

I would say in these times where many are struggling for money she was not looking forward to a fine.
Especially as she was at the beach taking her kids for a swim not harming anybody.
And especially when you can run around the tan track without one or have a smoke without one.
Why be a pack of campaigners? There is just no need whatsoever.
You know what, if they see someone without a mask why don't they just give them one?
We're all in this together aren't we?
(I know not really)

They previously have been doing that - whether a person wishes to wear it is then on them

Not saying it's the case with this incident, but with some of these arrests it does seem that some of the people are looking for their 15 minutes of fame and setting things up so that any confrontation with police is being recorded

Good question. I don't know. Do you get fined first for not wearing the mask? Or do they say put a mask on or you'll get fined?
I don't know.
Either way a whole pack of cops putting a pregnant lady on the ground for not wearing a mask is not a thing that sits well with me.

It doesn't sit well with me either BUT there's no way a group of cops in suburban Melbourne will arrest a person like that without warning. Does pregnancy or simply being female or being elderly or disabled ( insert whatever other condition here ) provide a passport to break the law during a pandemic when over 800 people have lost their lives and society has been locked down in an attempt to get things under control so we can open things up again safely? I don't think so.

Last edited:
They previously have been doing that - whether a person wishes to wear it is then on them

Not saying it's the case with this incident, but with some of these arrests it does seem that some of the people are looking for their 15 minutes of fame and setting things up so that any confrontation with police is being recorded
Yeah maybe they do. Actually I'm sure some people would.
I'd say this family was just taking the kids down to the beach for a swim though.
Not to cause trouble and start a media frenzy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn't sit well with me either BUT there's no way a group of cops in suburban Melbourne will arrest a person like that without warning. Does pregnancy or simply being female or being elderly or disabled ( insert whatever other condition here ) provide a passport to break the law during a pandemic when over 800 people have lost their lives and society has been locked down in an attempt to get things under control so we can open things up again safely? I don't think so.
No of course not. But it doesn't sit well with you for a reason. It just doesn't feel right.
And what were around 10 cops doing at Altona beach anyway?
I was at St Kilda beach and at Albert park lake on Saturday.
Not one family wearing a mask at the beach, including my self and my work mate.
Not a single cop. All groups and runners not wearing masks at the lake. Not a single cop.
If you throw a rich or important pregnant lady on the ground in front of her family there would be a shitstorm like no other.

No of course not. But it doesn't sit well with you for a reason. It just doesn't feel right.
And what were around 10 cops doing at Altona beach anyway?
I was at St Kilda beach and at Albert park lake on Saturday.
Not one family wearing a mask at the beach, including my self and my work mate.
Not a single cop. All groups and runners not wearing masks at the lake. Not a single cop.
If you throw a rich or important pregnant lady on the ground in front of her family there would be a shitstorm like no other.
You're right, it doesn't feel right; it doesn't feel right that an individual thinks their personal level of comfort or their own Bill Of Rights they carry around in their back pocket is more important than the safety of others.

Maybe the cops were called to Altona beach because there was an ignorant woman who had told others around her to get stuffed when she was asked to wear a mask then she followed the get stuffed up with further taunts and provocation. I don't know if that's the case or not but I doubt the cops were moving along the beach like a gang of 70s bovver boys looking for a head to kick in. Common sense says to me the police were alerted to a problem, the woman refused to obey a simple request to wear a mask when in public and then she got arrested. That's the result I'd expect.

You're right, it doesn't feel right; it doesn't feel right that an individual thinks their personal level of comfort or their own Bill Of Rights they carry around in their back pocket is more important than the safety of others.
Just personally I really don't think she was that political.
Just wanted to take the kids for a swim without getting hassled by police (remember those times) didn't have a mask like everyone else and didn't want to get a fine.

Just personally I really don't think she was that political.
Just wanted to take the kids for a swim without getting hassled by police (remember those times) didn't have a mask like everyone else and didn't want to get a fine.

You are assuming as am I. What I don't accept on face value is that the cops immediately resorted to strong arm action without reasonable cause. The phone vid doesn't tell anything like the whole story yet that is all we have to go on, plus our own experience with police. Personally my experience is if you show some mutual respect and say g'day when you pass by them things remain cool.

Maybe the cops were called to Altona beach because there was an ignorant woman who had told others around her to get stuffed when she was asked to wear a mask then she followed the get stuffed up with further taunts and provocation. I don't know if that's the case or not but I doubt the cops were moving along the beach like a gang of 70s bovver boys looking for a head to kick in. Common sense says to me the police were alerted to a problem, the woman refused to obey a simple request to wear a mask when in public and then she got arrested. That's the result I'd expect.
So let's get this straight. Common sense tells you that someone was walking down Altona beach (most likely not wearing a mask, as noone at the beach does) and went "Hey, I'm going to go out of my way, over to that family of Samoans and tell one of them to put a mask on"
Women tells concerned citizen to Get stuffed.
This top citizen rings the cops and within the time it takes before either party leaves no less than 4 cop cars (probably 5) turn up in that time. (No crime in the West that day) all to resolve the offence of lady not wearing mask.

You are assuming as am I. What I don't accept on face value is that the cops immediately resorted to strong arm action without reasonable cause. The phone vid doesn't tell anything like the whole story yet that is all we have to go on, plus our own experience with police. Personally my experience is if you show some mutual respect and say g'day when you pass by them things remain cool.
That is also true. I have not had any personal problems with police behavior since I was in my teens. (Bout 20 years)
Partly because I am different, But also mainly because the way they recruit and carry themselves which has become far more professional and gung ho in that time.

... the way they recruit and carry themselves which has become far more professional and gung ho in that time.
Ain't that the truth. I'll sound like an old grandpa now but what the hell. Education in the 80s onwards has a lot to answer for with the emphasis back then on individual RIGHTS but without an equal measure of RESPONSIBILITIES. No wonder so many people now think that it's their right to not wear a mask in public. I think individual freedoms take second place to what's better for the community. Policing is more professional today thanks in no small measure to most people from 15+ carrying a camera and audio recorder in their pocket.

I agree but faaaarken hell. Such overkill for nothing. Pregnant too.
They need to just step back and have a look at themselves. Is this why they became cops? Is this right at all?

yep...we need a separate law for women and then another separate one for pregnant women.

The woman knew that what she was doing was wrong, and while maybe not totally politically minded, upon arrival at the beach she did take to social media to say "F**K Dan", as well as traveling well outside her 5km zone as she lives in Tarneit - so Altona may be her "local" beach, but not close enough under current restrictions

850BF35B-817F-4482-989F-338943D13BD3.jpeg

And here's the story from 7News which gives a bit more info than Rita who just wants to stick it to any authority figure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back