2019 2nd Ashes Test - Lords 14-18 August 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Except they haven't been completely different conditions, they've produced wickets not much different to those in Australia.

Not with the Duke balls they aren't, Balls nips around for a lot longer.

Ahhh I see my mistake, sorry was meant to say 5 BOWLERS, dunno why I said batsmen.
My thought was to go with Starc, Cummins, Patto, Hazlewood and Lyon.
My bad.

Not enough batsmen especially as we don’t have a keeper that’s going to get a lot of runs. We need batsmen.

You mean the Duke balls they've been using in the second half of Shield seasons for a few years now?

Which don’t move anywhere near as much as they do in England under cloudy skies.

We just won’t agree let’s just leave it at that. You have your view I have mine.

You're showing your age, stop.

Strained muscles and fractured bones heal and long term theres no issue, multiple concussions can often turn into permanent brain trauma that can ruin the rest of someone's life... You can't see the differenc? Have you not read anything about concussion in the past 5 years?

Put up a list of all of the cricketers that have suffered multiple concussions out on the field during their playing careers?

I love how a 'great team performance' is half the team scoring 1/10 or less

It was gritty in parts but aside from Smith, Head (2nd), Lab (2nd) and Cummins with the ball I wouldn’t call it a great team performance at all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are 1 nil up,why is every one panicking with all these changes.Keep it to 1 or 2 at the most,if we fall over in the 3rd test then is the time to perhaps drop a few.

Because you got to be ruthless to stay in front.
Bancroft was lucky to be ahead of Harris, only because of the right hand/ left hand combo.
Bancroft hasn't done enough, and Harris deserves his chance.
Warner on borrowed time if he continues in this form.
And Wade is great when we are going well, appalling when we aren't

Which don’t move anywhere near as much as they do in England under cloudy skies.

We just won’t agree let’s just leave it at that. You have your view I have mine.

Except again these haven't been normal English conditions, there hasn't been much movement in the air so far this series.

Of course we won't agree, you don't have a legitimate argument.

You're taking a 23 year old example, from a code where checking on a player's welfare after knocking them out had not traditionally been the norm, and comparing that with cricket where it has been the norm. Since that time a bump like that is no longer legal in AFL and in cricket we've had the Phil Hughes tragedy.

Ricciuto's bump was legal.

Archer's bouncer was legal.

Ricciuto's bump was laid on an opponent who was caught unawares and had no protection nor time to react to protect himself.

Smith had full vision of what was coming his way. He had a bat, a helmet and gloves for protection.

Irrespective of what sport you are playing, the main contention in this thread is that Archer showed no humanity towards his fallen opponent despite the ball being legal, neither did Ricciuto who also acted within the rules, yet hit an unsuspecting opponent with no protection. Did NicNat check on Sandilands after he broke half of Sandy's ribs and sent him to hospital after driving his knee into him in a marking contest? No protection for Sandy in that instance either, nor the opportunity to protect himself.

I would say that in both the cases of Ricciuto and Naitanui, their respective supporters would have been in raptures and baying for more.

Players have checked on their opponent's welfare on a football field after cleaning them up, but it's a very rare occurrence.

Renshaw? In the past you'd never know if players had concussion because they'd try to hide it, it's only being discussed recently in cricket.

I played for over 20 years and I only ever saw two players get hit in the head whilst unprotected. One was in the very early 80s when helmets weren't worn that much, an old school teacher of mine got hit in the temple fielding at short leg and almost died. When he eventually returned to school it was as if he'd had a stroke with a lot of one side of his body paralysed. The 2nd was in the 90s when a team mate who was an opening bat and religiously wore a helmet whether it was pace or spin bowling took his helmet off to face a spinner because it was stinking hot and he had been batting for a couple of hours already. The second ball he faced without his helmet on, he tried to sweep and top edged it straight into his mouth and shredded his lips and broke a couple of teeth. He never batted without one again.

I played first grade in Geelong for years and never saw anyone get hit in the head while they were batting that wasn't wearing a helmet, in fact I can barely recall seeing anyone get hit in the head at all, despite having numerous bowlers over the years that were capable and did bowl 90+ mph.

Deadset Labuschagne is a quality find. To come out as sub and face a fired up Archer bowling 145km bouncers straight at your head, after the experienced older players have once again shat their pants, and to not only survive but dig in and build a quality match-saving innings with all that pressure and wickets falling at the other end, it can't be overstated how quality that knock was.

I loved the way he bounced straight up from that hit to the head and stared down Archer, shows huge strength of character and real ticker. Has great technique and is obviously seeing it really well. Was absolutely robbed by Root the Cheat and the blind West Indian who should never umpire another game again.

Must stay in for the rest of the series.

That's nice. Johnson was out there, was he? Could hear what they were saying?

No, he wasn't. He knows them both and has experience hitting batsman while bowling around 100 mile per hour and the emotions involved which would put him in a unique position to comment.

I assume you weren't out there either, but have commented, based on what ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back