2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

Edited. Have them taking Ash as well as Robertson and Henry. Nice little draft haul for Freo.

God I hope we pick Kemp. It’ll be him or Weightman for us at 12.
Id honestly be just as happy with either of those.

Have a weightman/young bias because Ive watched them play a but but if Kemp can stay healthy he will be a gun

The idea of Luke Jackson at 3 is really perplexing to say the least. IIRC there hasn’t been a ruck go that high for the best part of two decades (I don’t consider Koschitzke or Boyd to have been recruited as ruckmen).

I hope I’m proven wrong and he becomes a great of the game but it’s a helluva risk to use pick 3 on that type of player.

That said, I think we’ve been going alright with the pick swaps.

The idea of Luke Jackson at 3 is really perplexing to say the least. IIRC there hasn’t been a ruck go that high for the best part of two decades (I don’t consider Koschitzke or Boyd to have been recruited as ruckmen).

I hope I’m proven wrong and he becomes a great of the game but it’s a helluva risk to use pick 3 on that type of player.

Not that I think we should draft Jackson at #3, but Kreuzer at #1, Nic Nat at #2 and Leuenberger #4 are a few within the last decade(ish).

Kreuzer 2007 No 1 pick. Naitanui No 2 pick in 2008. Leuenberger No 4 in 2006.

I agree though it’s a massive call. JT laying nuts on the line with this one.

Not that I think we should draft Jackson at #3, but Kreuzer at #1, Nic Nat at #2 and Leuenberger #4 are a few within the last decade(ish).
Kreuzer 2007 No 1 pick. Naitanui No 2 pick in 2008. Leuenberger No 4 in 2006.

I agree though it’s a massive call. JT laying nuts on the line with this one.
Cheerfully withdrawn. For some reason I was thinking of Michael Gardiner, Jeff White and Josh Fraser and forgot about Kruezer, NicNat and Leuenberger (and Mitch Clark) to a lesser extent.

It still does seem a hefty price to pay for something that is not a pressing need given our midfield and defensive pressure deficiencies.

Here’s hoping it’s a Clayton Oliver style inspired selection and not another Molan/Lucas Cook level blunder because we’re being too cute.

I think the concern is as you say based on the position he has been playing and the almost complete lack of success blokes taken high who play that position have had at AFL level, having said that there does appear to be a strong school of thought that he’s going to be more of a forward maybe even a mid, time will tell.

I think the strategy so far has been sound get as many picks as possible and hope for the best, don’t draft for needs take best available and if this kid is seen as that so be it

Cheerfully withdrawn. For some reason I was thinking of Michael Gardiner, Jeff White and Josh Fraser and forgot about Kruezer, NicNat and Leuenberger (and Mitch Clark) to a lesser extent.

It still does seem a hefty price to pay for something that is not a pressing need given our midfield and defensive pressure deficiencies.

Here’s hoping it’s a Clayton Oliver style inspired selection and not another Molan/Lucas Cook level blunder because we’re being too cute.
There was Billy Longer at #8 in 2011 as well.

There was Billy Longer at #8 in 2011 as well.

Also Tyrone Vickery #8 in 2008 and John Meesen a pick #8 in 2004 who was a complete bust playing just 6 games at Adelaide and Melbourne.

In some ways I will actually be impressed if the club takes this risk. We have been risk averse for so long and look where it’s gotten us. Nowhere in my lifetime.

If Taylor thinks Jackson has the biggest upside of any kid available at pick 3 then what the heck - bloody well go for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really care how good Jackson is. The biggest risk picking him for mine is that he is from WA and will be poached back at some point, effectively wasting a pick and development time.

So you don’t recruit from outside Victoria? That’s an untenable recruiting policy in a national competition. You have to back yourself to create a happy, successful culture and retain your players no matter where they come from.

Yep, with our "hack it forward at all costs" midfield, that's exactly what we need, a ruckman with limited disposal playing on ball

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel and actually spend some currency on getting some players that can make good decisions under pressure and kick the footy please Melbourne

Ridiculous isn't it? Club acknowledged disposal was an issue yet hasn't traded in a single good user of the ball and looks unlikely to draft one too.

So you don’t recruit from outside Victoria? That’s an untenable recruiting policy in a national competition. You have to back yourself to create a happy, successful culture and retain your players no matter where they come from.
It still needs to be taken it into consideration, the fact is some blokes will go home no matter the situation but if the club believes the rewards out way the risks and he’s the best player then you can’t bypass him for another kid you deem to have less talent just because he comes from Victoria

It still needs to be taken it into consideration, the fact is some blokes will go home no matter the situation but if the club believes the rewards out way the risks and he’s the best player then you can’t bypass him for another kid you deem to have less talent just because he comes from Victoria
A whole bunch of blokes don’t go home too.

To be played well, footy demands a unique combination of skill and physicality. Always has and always will. Our list is tough enough but we severely lack skill. I can’t understand why we would recruit Jackson whose main strength is his physicality but has zero skill with ball in hand. It just compounds the problem we already have, I’d rather even get Green because at least it’s a safe bet he’ll be a good player with good skills, team up well with Oliver and we can trade out the rest of our dead wood inside mids. Us getting Jackson just makes no sense in so many ways. We will be even more one paced with shitter skills than we already have, we are going to be such a bad football team.

A whole bunch of blokes don’t go home too.
Absolutely, if the club deems the reward outweighs the risk take the WA kid every time, best player available is the only way to go that early in the draft no matter where he’s from, and if they think this kids it don’t think twice

Absolutely agree. Unless in the interview process you think the guy is a massive flight risk you take him.

Agree.

I don’t know how the go home factor can be taken into consideration, though. Every 18yo kid is going to give the cliche’d “I’m okay to move interstate and will be happy with any club that drafts me” spiel during club-by-club interviews. You can never truly know how things will pan out.

At the very least, if you’ve got a great player on your hands and he at some stage wants to go home, you should in theory get a decent trade out of the situation.

Last edited:
Jackson at 3 isn’t a reach. If we don’t take him I’d think he’ll go to giants. Sure we don’t need a ruck now. But it’s the future we are considering ruck wise. From reports Jackson can play forward next year and back up Gawn. I’ll be happy to take him. By the time he’s right for number one ruck Gawn will possibly be almost done in any event.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back