General Public | 2pm, Wednesday August 28 AEST

Elimination Final 2 | GIANTS v Western Bulldogs | GIANTS Stadium
Competing Club Members | 9am - 1pm, Thursday August 29 AEST
General Public | 2pm, Thursday August 29 AEST

Qualifying Final 2 | Brisbane Lions v Richmond | The Gabba
Competing Club Members | 11am - 3pm, Thursday August 29 AEST
General Public | 4pm, Thursday August 29 AEST

Been looking for that info, thanks for sharing

Scott has already made his point a long time ago - let someone else step in to bat for us. Clearly it's not going to change anytime soon. He has other things he should be working on.
As the coach, he is the main spokesmen on a day to day level for Geelong. He has made the point twice now— mid season and prior to finals. That is entirely appropriate.

With the publicly stated desire of the AFL to get as many supporters into Finals games as possible the benefit of earning a home final seams to be lost to our boys. My brother (who is smarter than I am) suggested we could compromise by having the boundaries redrawn to the dimensions of our home ground (KP in our case). This “reward” would be available to any home team forced to play away from their home ground. Short of safety concerns which would obviously need to be accommodated I can’t see how an argument could be raised against it.
Are their legitimate arguments against this we haven’t identified?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do not agree.

It's cleary absurd that Geelong are minor premier and are then 'rewarded' with an away game to the fourth place team. Why bother coming first? It's also stupid playing a GF on one teams home ground.

It's something the AFL should address for the sake of fairness in the comp but won't, becau$$$$e.

Good on Scott for calling a spade a spade.

Yes.

Also I'll add that the argument that we shouldn't complain because "it's futile" is clearly incorrect. Consistent public pressure on this front will eventually force change to be made. We're obviously in the right here and in the medium to long-term the AFL will be have no choice to cave so long as we keep on pushing the issue. There's no counter-argument against the actual principle of our position (ie the people who say the game should be played at the MCG cite higher capacity as their justification, which is a non-sequitur that doesn't even pretend to answer the "is it fair that the side which has earned a home game is forced to play at the away team's home ground?" question) so our opponents don't have much of a leg to stand on...and they know it.

Remaining silent and not complaining is what has allowed this farcical finals ground situation to roll on for so long. If we go back to just passively accepting it then there's no chance of precipitating any change. And I would argue that already progress has been made: we've brought it to mainstream media attention and made it a hot-button issue in a way it wasn't before. We just need to keep going.

True, but dont we usually play better in the white shorts >> navy .

(altho i prefer navy, as a personal preference)

We certainly don't play too badly in the navy shorts at home and I prefer them too.

I'm more peeved about Collingwood wearing their home kit, on their home ground, with 75% crowd support … in an away game. :rolleyes:

I wouldn’t be playing Clark ahead of Narkle he’s offered something that’d been missing. Hendo or Taylor surely will come out we can’t play that tall down back at the G. Atkins, Menegola or Clark options to come in I’d like the defensive pressure of Atkins. We need the pressure we had early in the season.

On KRock he mentioned he might play vfl this week... no matter what he is just bandaid as he will have an op at seasons end

so mixed messages I guess... have to see I guess. who goes out for him..

I don't think his unavailability will be a factor, overall, but I'd have been happy to see Clark get some finals experience under his belt.

Very promising debut year from him, and if I'm to take anything from this baffling McClelland's 5-losses-since-the-bye side it is the fact that there is an identifiable tier of youth starting to put their hand up; Miers, Ratugolea, O'Connor, Henry - Clark of course - and then Parfitt, Narkle ... that is a solid foundation for a post-Selwood/Taylor/Hawkins landscape.

Anyway, if Clark is somehow passed fit I would go a straight Clark/Henderson swap for the QF.

Kolodjashnij a real head-scratcher - his post-bye form (during which he copped a nasty concussion via a knee to the head) is nothing to write home about; he was very good when we were travelling at our best though. Always a solid contributor in the aerial contests, and did a decent-enough job on De Goey last time we played the magpies.
There's no way I would drop Jack Henry for Kolodjashnij though, if it somehow comes down to that.

I think Henderson might be surplus to requirements in any case; if Clark is deemed fit he comes in for Henderson, if not Kolodjashnij comes in for Henderson anyway, with a brief to replicate his work on the dangerous De Goey once again. Either way, Henry stays imo.

Prices look pretty much the same- am i not wrong?

Gotta love that $35 bay on Level one..
Think I heard that weeks 1 to 3 have had a price freeze - make up for it with increase in the gf I guess

Wouldn’t mind pies or tigers, but pies it is. Good chance. Not too worried by Stephenson or Elliot. De Goey good but not a certainty. Match up well on them-started the year knocking them off, like the symmetry of playing them again. Their best is very good, so is ours-should be a good game. "Their supporters are fun." Go cats.
Thanks - appreciate a rare compliment :) should be a good game - cheers

Their 4 wins have been against:

Gold Coast, lost 19 straight and finished bottom at 3-19
Melbourne, lost 7 straight and finished second last at 5-17
Adelaide, won 2 of their last 8, those 2 wins have been against GCS and StK, most likely missing the finals
Essendon, best of the 4 but lost to Port by 10 goals a month ago, Dogs by 100+ and gave up 23 straight goals 3 weeks ago and lost 3 of the last 4

Hardly a world-beating bunch

Agree and I would have their form about on par with ours. Quite underwhelming but got there in the end.

Yes.

Also I'll add that the argument that we shouldn't complain because "it's futile" is clearly incorrect. Consistent public pressure on this front will eventually force change to be made. We're obviously in the right here and in the medium to long-term the AFL will be have no choice to cave so long as we keep on pushing the issue. There's no counter-argument against the actual principle of our position (ie the people who say the game should be played at the MCG cite higher capacity as their justification, which is a non-sequitur that doesn't even pretend to answer the "is it fair that the side which has earned a home game is forced to play at the away team's home ground?" question) so our opponents don't have much of a leg to stand on...and they know it.

Remaining silent and not complaining is what has allowed this farcical finals ground situation to roll on for so long. If we go back to just passively accepting it then there's no chance of precipitating any change. And I would argue that already progress has been made: we've brought it to mainstream media attention and made it a hot-button issue in a way it wasn't before. We just need to keep going.

In case it is lost on anyone Scott is just calling Halfwit Gill a liar for all the pretence he has about it. Clearly a lot of which has been swallowed by everyone on here. It is nothing to do with crowd size or supporters or Geelong, simply the AFL is contracted to play as many finals at MCG as possible up until 2050. The contract is the result of an ammendment, previously the AFL had to play a set number of finals every week there which would be an obvious problem if for instance only interstate teams made the 8. This way the MCC over the long run should get more finals there, but the result is the AFL has to play them there whenever they get the chance as there is no guarantee Vic teams will win home finals in the future. The only way Geelong get a home final is if no interstate teams make the 8 and the AFL has a bevvy of MCG games they can schedule, each week of the finals.

I think it's fine, Gill's lies are what s**t me. Well that and Richmond supporters. Can't wait for them to get pumped by Brissy up there.

We certainly don't play too badly in the navy shorts at home and I prefer them too.

I'm more peeved about Collingwood wearing their home kit, on their home ground, with 75% crowd support … in an away game. :rolleyes:

Exactly.

Richmond moaned on GF day wearing their away strip to Adel and yet Adel finished higher on the ladder. It made no difference to the result but it should be about doing what is right and that was right in that situation. But if the Cats are forced to wear white then we should be peeved. If they make us wear white then we should wear the indigenous jumper which is so good anyway. The spirits will be with us. I'm expecting Collingwood to kill us having unpicked our stodgy play, lack of express speed and run on. The media to run the top of table crap v 4th. With the media licking their lips at our demise.

In the QF against Richmond, there was an extraordinary amount of rich colour on the banner screens around the ground as there was Blue and red in the EF last year. What is going on? Melbourne, as it was their 'home game', is understandable but the rich stuff was dodgy. Can we win a big final?

King's comments of late, indicating that whilst he agrees with the GFC he also wants us to stop bleating because it will affect the players. I have a different view if we do not go into bat for the team they may well be more affected more. Scott though needs to say the world is against us, it will be, we need to hang tough, back each other up. We did not seem to do this against Brisbane in the last qtr.

Come on Cats!!!

In case it is lost on anyone Scott is just calling Halfwit Gill a liar for all the pretence he has about it. Clearly a lot of which has been swallowed by everyone on here. It is nothing to do with crowd size or supporters or Geelong, simply the AFL is contracted to play as many finals at MCG as possible up until 2050. The contract is the result of an ammendment, previously the AFL had to play a set number of finals every week there which would be an obvious problem if for instance only interstate teams made the 8. This way the MCC over the long run should get more finals there, but the result is the AFL has to play them there whenever they get the chance as there is no guarantee Vic teams will win home finals in the future. The only way Geelong get a home final is if no interstate teams make the 8 and the AFL has a bevvy of MCG games they can schedule, each week of the finals.

I think it's fine, Gill's lies are what s**t me. Well that and Richmond supporters. Can't wait for them to get pumped by Brissy up there.

Rich will beat them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back