News 2019 Rumour File - discuss rumours here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
“He’s learning and has learned a lot in this role. But I’m backing him to be one of the elite football managers, when judged at the end of his tenure.”

“I would have happily handed over to him, it would have been a seamless transition going into this next phase — he would have been a wonderful chairman of our football club. Every person on this board would be capable of being the chairman of our football club. I think we have a wonderful board. It is a complete cross section of skill set and of society.”

So Burton is going nowhere..,

And our board is a good cross section of skills?!

“He’s learning and has learned a lot in this role. But I’m backing him to be one of the elite football managers, when judged at the end of his tenure.”

“I would have happily handed over to him, it would have been a seamless transition going into this next phase — he would have been a wonderful chairman of our football club. Every person on this board would be capable of being the chairman of our football club. I think we have a wonderful board. It is a complete cross section of skill set and of society.”

So Burton is going nowhere..,

And our board is a good cross section of skills?!

Pretty sure he was talking about Bob Foord, who unfortunately passed away in late 2017, in the second paragraph about the next chairman.

The Burton stuff though, mind blowing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jeeez some people are going to be very disappointed when we don't get a first round pick for Keath.

Guys, we couldn't even get pick 30 for Jarryd Lyons
More reason to keep him as we are not in a position to just give away our top 10 players cheaply... as we have plenty of other players we can do that for...

Yup.

I don’t believe a word he says.

Where did the glowing references for Burton come from - Brisbane?

I doubt it!!!

He then goes on to say he’s learning on the job...

What kind of a two bit organization are we?

This is a disgrace - any review will be a facade.
It’s unbelievable. That was everything that you shouldn’t do in a media interview. Zero contrition or understanding of how fans might be feeling. Made it clear that any fan being critical of the club is a hindrance. How can you say that the external review is unlikely to lead to coaching change ! So much for maintaining an open mind

Yeh coz midfielders like Lenny Hayes, Leigh Montagna, Nick Dal Santo, Brenton Goddard, Adam Schneider and a Luke Ball are spuds.

Firstly Goddard was a swingman and didnt play midfield in that team. Secondly are you really comparing that group to Goodwin, McLeod, Riccuito, Edwards etc? You named Adam Schneider lol

We were the best side by a country mile for 3/4 of the season.
We finished on 15.5 wins level with Geelong and only half a game ahead of Richmond and GWS.

This year the ladder leader is likely to have 16 wins. Last year 18 wins.

This is an example of what I referred to, you shouldn’t be calling anyone’s points stupid when you’re prone to some shockers.

It would be highly unlikely in any organisation that a person who gets a job is an expert in every single facet of a role. They'd have experience that will help them grow into to it and thats it.

If you have a view that you'll only ever hire someone who has done the exact role and ticks every single box, you are pretty much limiting yourself to a very select few (who maybe doing the job, but not well).

It would be highly unlikely in any organisation that a person who gets a job is an expert in every single facet of a role. They'd have experience that will help them grow into to it and thats it.

If you have a view that you'll only ever hire someone who has done the exact role and ticks every single box, you are pretty much limiting yourself to a very select few (who maybe doing the job, but not well).
If we only ever hire someone who was from the club aren’t you pretty much limiting yourself?

And when you boast you will build the best football department and then get someone without the credentials who is learning on the job, has he met his boast?

Did anyone hear Jerka this morning on SEN? How does a bloke in our leadership group leave the AFL game at half time? He said to prepare for his own game. It was 2.10pm on a Sunday. He would have left at 5.30pm? Hardly late. I could understand if it was a night game but twilight.

This just shows the lack of team spirit. He should be in the rooms at half time getting around the team as a leader, not heading home.

How do others feel about this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone hear Jerka this morning on SEN? How does a bloke in our leadership group leave the AFL game at half time? He said to prepare for his own game. It was 2.10pm on a Sunday. He would have left at 5.30pm? Hardly late. I could understand if it was a night game but twilight.

This just shows the lack of team spirit. He should be in the rooms at half time getting around the team as a leader, not heading home.

How do others feel about this?
He knows he’s going and has checked out.

I’m wondering what Thegibbsgamble thinks about such actions

Burton is either the best choice or he is learning his role. He cant be both.

If he is the best choice then he already knows his role and obligations

Yeah what BS. How many times did he have to mention learning and then continue to try and justify it. Then goes on to say Brett will be considered elite when judged at the end of his career... He had to work far, far too hard to justify Brett's position.

If you remove the spin: "Yeah look we saw great potential in Brett but we clearly promoted him before his time and have paid the price, but I'm too arrogant to admit this and we're going to double down on this failure and hope Brett can learn on the job. If we hang onto him long enough he might come good and people will forget how damaging he was to begin with..."

If we only ever hire someone who was from the club aren’t you pretty much limiting yourself?

And when you boast you will build the best football department and then get someone without the credentials who is learning on the job, has he met his boast?

The arrogance of our leadership knows no bounds. How dare the membership question what they're doing! How would they know the amazing work everyone is doing? Poor results are clearly the players simply not trying hard enough, nothing to do with the leadership. When our department is clearly such an amazing group of high achievers, why would we need new ideas?

Huge difference in the two situations though there. Not even close to comparable. Keath has a lot more in common with Lever and Gov if the rumoured offers are correct than he does with Lyons. Lyons was last chance saloon for his career, offered a pittance and told to take it or leave it. So he took an offer of more money at the Suns, who subsequently delisted him. What we got for Lyons was probably about right based on the effort we were going to to keep him. I'm not saying Keath is a guaranteed first round pick, but Lyons is not the player to base draft pick value off.

Lever and Gov are young players, Keath is not. There is no way a club is giving up a first round pick for a 28 year old player with only 30 games of exposed form, regardless of his contract offer.

When Joel Hamling was traded to Fremantle, who at the time was a similar experience level to Keath, is a quality player and was younger - the Bulldogs received Pick 35 in return.

If you are expecting to get a first round pick for a 28 year old inexperienced key defender who we are lowballing, you're going to be disappointed

I'm not disagreeing with you. I think we've done a poor job at that.

But let's rubbish what's rubbish, not just everything. Burton could well have been the best candidate at the time and we could well have done proper due diligence.

For me the question is now, is Burton still the best person for the job.

Burton could well have been the best candidate at the time and we could well have done proper due diligence.

Yes, these things are possible.

It's also possible the Crows will win the flag this year. It doesn't mean it's likely

I'm not disagreeing with you. I think we've done a poor job at that.

But let's rubbish what's rubbish, not just everything. Burton could well have been the best candidate at the time and we could well have done proper due diligence.

For me the question is now, is Burton still the best person for the job.
No. He clearly wasn’t the best candidate. There’s two appointments we are considering here.

First off it’s his appointment to head fitness dude with such a poor record at Brisbane. Impossible for him to be the best candidate with that record, especially when Polous was doing a good job.

Then it’s his promotion to a position which he is clearly out of his depth in. If the best we could come up with was such a person how hard did we look? Did we try to poach some experienced successful footy ops managers? Clearly we didn’t so already he’s not the best candidate. Second you think it’s just a coincidence the best candidate is already at our club, best mates with the power broker and had no experience in the role?

Seriously dude.

Bickley seems to think we have interest in Port's Jarrod Lienert, have to say I've liked a lot of what I've seen from him on the few occasions I've seen him play especially his AFL game against us early in the year and the last time we played Port in the SANFL he was very impressive. Size, speed and skills looked very good and prepared to take the game on was what really caught my eye in the SANFL game.
Over to the locals that have seen more of him than I.

Was a mad Crows fan growing up for what it's worth.

We finished on 15.5 wins level with Geelong and only half a game ahead of Richmond and GWS.

This year the ladder leader is likely to have 16 wins. Last year 18 wins.

This is an example of what I referred to, you shouldn’t be calling anyone’s points stupid when you’re prone to some shockers.

How is that a shocker?
We were the best team in the comp. All season until the last few rounds.
This wasnt even up for debate, it was pretty much an agreed-upon fact.

Were we average in the grand final, hell yes. But you soon forget how dominant we were that regular season.

Lever and Gov are young players, Keath is not. There is no way a club is giving up a first round pick for a 28 year old player with only 30 games of exposed form, regardless of his contract offer.

When Joel Hamling was traded to Fremantle, who at the time was a similar experience level to Keath, is a quality player and was younger - the Bulldogs received Pick 35 in return.

If you are expecting to get a first round pick for a 28 year old inexperienced key defender who we are lowballing, you're going to be disappointed

Hamling has never had a season anywhere near as good as Keaths 2019.
While the player comparison was a good effort, Keath will have a fair bit more value.

Last edited:
How is that a shocker?
We were the best team in the comp. All season until the last few rounds.
This wasnt even up for debate, it was pretty much an agreed-upon fact.

Were we average in the grand final, hell yes. But you soon forget how dominant we were that regular season.
Because we weren’t clearly the best side by a country mile.

You said no Crows coach has got us to a grand final. When pointed out that Pyke did you’ve tried to make out it was some super team so it doesn’t count.

But it wasn’t, we finished the season equal top and the no of wins for the year proves it wasn’t a dominant side.

Your whole argument has holes in it which you are trying to plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back