List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals - Part 2 (The 2020 Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There will definitely be a few young players coming through requiring a bigger wage. Hopefully we can manage expectations so they can compare themselves to their teammates and not expect too much. it's been interesting over the past couple of weeks looking at Collingwood's salary cap issues and comparing them to Richmond who has a few in the top tier but managed their cap well. Ultimately you need to firm about paying players because the minute you overpay one, the rest start getting antsy. You might lose a couple along the way but if they love playing for the club they will be prepared to take slightly less than what other clubs might be throwing at them.
Bear in mind that players can legitimately earn substantial amounts "off the books" in Melbourne that they can't elsewhere.
Less legitimately too.
COLA used to offset that somewhat.

Tyson Stengle is going to need to get out of Rads. Possible mid season snag?
Wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. Nothing but trouble.

Is that a bad thing in and of itself?

Well I don't have a huge issue with the club being passive in the trade period. But I would be disappointed if that is because of our salary cap. Especially in 2 years time.

I still don't really get how Geelong can create salary cap space to sign Cameron, Higgins and Smith by retiring Ablett and Taylor.

But we can have about 20 highly paid players leave the club through either trade or retirement, sign no one of note for 7 years, and still have cap issues.

But anyway, I seem to be alone being concerned about this.

Well I don't have a huge issue with the club being passive in the trade period. But I would be disappointed if that is because of our salary cap. Especially in 2 years time.

I still don't really get how Geelong can create salary cap space to sign Cameron, Higgins and Smith by retiring Ablett and Taylor.

But we can have about 20 highly paid players leave the club through either trade or retirement, sign no one of note for 7 years, and still have cap issues.

Do understand your concern, maybe things will change in 2-3 years who knows. No club probably has any idea on the cap structure next season let alone in 3 years after this year.

Bear in mind that players can legitimately earn substantial amounts "off the books" in Melbourne that they can't elsewhere.
Less legitimately too.
COLA used to offset that somewhat.
Yes, it struck me that the Footy Show is no longer on in Melbourne and it happened to coincide with Collingwood getting into cap strife. No more lucrative appearance fees.

Apparently they have 2-3 million in outside deals all given the ok by the AFL.
Different rules for some.

It’s pretty simple really.

Mid-career players who maybe looking at settling down see the west coast of Victoria as an attractive and relatively inexpensive place to go. Plenty of work for tradies and builders. Nearby surf beaches (which has taken on a new attraction).

It’s the opposite of Sydney’s cost of living problem. You watch. Players will soon work out that Cranbourne is pretty accessible to South Gippsland (though the surf isn’t as close) and Melbourne will start to attract trades.

Edit: Nobody tell Tom Papley.

K
How do you know how much they have in outside deals? Do you know how much of players have?
It's an educated guess.
We know the AFL have allowed outside deals which makes a mockery of the salary cap.
We know that Selwood, Dangerfield and Cameron are all on at least $950K. Then add Hawkins, Guthrie, Blicavs, Duncan and Stewart who would all be in the $600 - $700 bracket at a minimum. So, there's almost $6.5M with only 8 of the 40 odd on their list. This leaves less than $7M for the remaining 38 players on their list in 2020. An average of less than $185K per player.
Don't think so.

K
It's an educated guess.
We know the AFL have allowed outside deals which makes a mockery of the salary cap.
We know that Selwood, Dangerfield and Cameron are all on at least $950K. Then add Hawkins, Guthrie, Blicavs, Duncan and Stewart who would all be in the $600 - $700 bracket at a minimum. So, there's almost $6.5M with only 8 of the 40 odd on their list. This leaves less than $7M for the remaining 38 players on their list in 2020. An average of less than $185K per player.
Don't think so.
I think it was a guess. Not sure about educated.

You don't actually know any of those figures you just stated are correct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disclaimer: I'm pretty much the biggest club apologist on here so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I think a lot of our kids are SUPER underrated. Even players like Florent and Hayward.

A bit majority of our team is still very young and lack a good senior core to grow from, and unless they play like 200 gamers (Rowbottom), they are seen as failing their potential.

I feel especially bad for Hayward, who only just got back after a year of injury into a super young forward line, with a super low inside 50 count. And guess what.
He struggled.
Wow.

Now I'm not going to pretend they impressed, they didn't stand nearly as much as I hoped, but to write them off as a few are doing is pretty ridiculous.

Other kids that are underrated are kids like Stephens, Mills, Heeney, and Blakey. All high draft picks, none over 25. All expected to have already hit their peak, compared against the fastest starters in the draft.
Heeney and Mills have been downright steals, both performing amazing for what we have up for them, and Stephens and Blakey look like some real gems, though still, you guessed it, YOUNG.

Do I think some of the blokes should've been dropped?
Yes.

But if they're chosen it's not their fault and they can only try as hard as they can, and imo, none of the young kids didn't try.

Effort did ebb and flow, much like a yr 12 classroom, but I'm confident we have a really solid core going forward.

IMO the only question is not IF these kids will be good, it be IF they stick together.

Let Hewett off the leash.
Use Ryan Clarke as a tagger.
Give Warner some game time.

Couldn't agree more, though I would do it one at a time.

Let's see what Hewitt can do as the main mid. Move Parker to a mid forward role and make Kennedy a back up mid, structure the midfield around Hewitt and Rowbottom.

Couldn't agree more, though I would do it one at a time.

Let's see what Hewitt can do as the main mid. Move Parker to a mid forward role and make Kennedy a back up mid, structure the midfield around Hewitt and Rowbottom.

Yep. Hewett showed in 2019 he can be a very good inside mid. He had 7 or more clearances 6 times in the 2019 season, which is good numbers. He also is a big body that could replace Kennedy.

K
It's an educated guess.
Don't think so.

According to this https://www.afl.com.au/news/44107/players-get-20-per-cent-pay-rise-in-new-cba

The Average player salary is around $370,000.

I doubt they have 3 players on over $950,000

I think the rest of your numbers are also off, they just don't make mathematical sense.

Warner won't be within coo-ee of the first team if two of Hewett, JPK and Parker are fit. Even more so if Clarke keeps impressing and Campbell and Gulden are looking good.
May or may not amount to anything, IDK, but we won't find out this year IMO.

Warner won't be within coo-ee of the first team if two of Hewett, JPK and Parker are fit. Even more so if Clarke keeps impressing and Campbell and Gulden are looking good.
May or may not amount to anything, IDK, but we won't find out this year IMO.

Sort of hope we play JPK by all means but have him FWD a bit of the game. Warner could play in rotation.

Sort of hope we play JPK by all means but have him FWD a bit of the game. Warner could play in rotation.

I think if we play Kennedy as our main inside mid this year it is going to be a massive wasted opportunity. He can go in there for support but we need to be giving other players more time in there.

I think if we play Kennedy as our main inside mid this year it is going to be a massive wasted opportunity. He can go in there for support but we need to be giving other players more time in there.
Playing Kennedy in the middle is our best chance of playing finals.

Playing finals is our only chance of giving our younger players finals experience.

THAT is the only opportunity we should not waste.

Playing Kennedy in the middle is our best chance of playing finals.

Playing finals is our only chance of giving our younger players finals experience.

THAT is the only opportunity we should not waste.

We aren't playing finals in 2021.

I want to do well too, but the fact remains players like Rowbottom played better when Kennedy was not in the team as he was played in a better position for him. We can't squander development opportunities for guys like Rowbottom by playing them out of position in favour of older players who will be gone in the next year or two.

We aren't playing finals in 2021.

I want to do well too, but the fact remains players like Rowbottom played better when Kennedy was not in the team as he was played in a better position for him. We can't squander development opportunities for guys like Rowbottom by playing them out of position in favour of older players who will be gone in the next year or two.

This but do a split whether it be 60/40 or 40/60. Who that split is with no idea, Warner would be one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back