Resource 2020 Draft Watch (picks 1, 9, 20, 30, 45, 50, 60, 74) - updated R17 15/9/20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade pick 20 and 28 for a pick in range of 14, so we have 4 picks in top 15
I think with the onset of draft day trading pick 20 becomes one of the most valuable picks in the draft.

Every teams list manager has 12-24 hours to fall desperately in love with a player that slides. And you just cash in on whichever team is willing to give you a future 1st to get him.

No way I’m trading that pick before the draft

Last edited:
We were matching Geelongs offer. That is why we traded. Rather than letting it get through to Free Agency
Sorry, but you're misunderstanding my point.

Geelong COULD have easily made an offer to Dangerfield that we would have been unable to match.

Geelong DIDN'T WANT TO do that because they wanted cap room to get other players.

They traded with us instead of blowing us out of the water with an offer BECAUSE THEY WANTED THE OTHER PLAYERS. They were always going to get Dangerfield. We got extra from them because they wanted flexibility to bring in other players, and to retain some aging footballers for a year, like Enright.

Sorry if this re: Caleb Poulter has already been shared, first time I've seen it.

Thought it was interesting to read he is being tagged most weeks. Seems to still find a fair bit of footy.

There is talk of downgrading picks, which is the optimal way to take advantage of the NGA/ Academy/ F/S situations, one that Adelaide has done very well in the past including last year (assuming we always wanted Fish).

So the scenario I propose is (assuming, fairly, r1 comp for Brouch):

Trade number 1 for Sydney for 3 and Carlton first (Papley deal) - currently 6

Sydney unlikely to bid on JUH as they don't want to trade with bulldogs, they want the number 1 pick for marketing in Sydney after a crap year, and they get the top pick (Logan McDonald?) and Braeden Campbell; amazing hand.

Adelaide then pick up who we want with pick 2 (Tilthorpe?)

We then trade pick three with the dogs for their first this year and next (currently pick 9 and say 12?) - could trade back their second but less pressure for points with no first next year. Dogs get Phillips and JUH - amazing for them.

We end up with picks (estimated):

- 2,6,9,13 and 2021 pick 12 - amazing hand for us all from picks 1 and 2 and 13

We would have to be sure of who we miss out on, just one of Tilthorpe/ Phillips/ Hollands and more of three out of Bruhn, DG-B, Perkins, Macrae etc. We then take Edwards, Borlase and Newchurch - That's a rebuild.

We wanted to keep those guys!
Doesn't really matter. In fact if anything should mean we get a better deal on the trade.

Also, who is to say Port didn't want to keep their guys? Their hands were forced by dollars, like ours with Cameron and McGovern. Port just have an infinitely better ability to control the media than we do.

There is talk of downgrading picks, which is the optimal way to take advantage of the NGA/ Academy/ F/S situations, one that Adelaide has done very well in the past including last year (assuming we always wanted Fish).

Sydney unlikely to bid on JUH as they don't want to trade with bulldogs, they want the number 1 pick for marketing in Sydney after a crap year, and they get the top pick (Logan McDonald?) and Braeden Campbell; amazing hand.

We then trade pick three with the dogs for their first this year and next (currently pick 9 and say 12?) - could trade back their second but less pressure for points with no first next year. Dogs get Phillips and JUH - amazing for them.

We would have to be sure of who we miss out on, just one of Tilthorpe/ Phillips/ Hollands and more of three out of Bruhn, DG-B, Perkins, Macrae etc. We then take Edwards, Borlase and Newchurch - That's a rebuild.

100% do that

Feenix just mentioned it on Crowcast and I was thinking the same. How did we let a guy in our own back yard like Draper go to Essendon in the mid year draft. Do we have talent scouts looking at SANFL clubs. He looks a star.
Crows refused to take SANFL Player or add anyone in respect of the SANFL clubs.

Think we need a few more ifs in this scenario. It seems too easy to pull off.

Feenix just mentioned it on Crowcast and I was thinking the same. How did we let a guy in our own back yard like Draper go to Essendon in the mid year draft. Do we have talent scouts looking at SANFL clubs. He looks a star.
Draper was hardly right under any recruiters noses let alone ours having only just switched from playing reserves and U18's soccer for South Adelaide's soccer club and only switched over to footy because some of his mates were playing footy at Reynella and kept trying to get him to join them so he switched to footy over that summer and played a few games for Reynella before the Panthers contacted him to come out and have a run with them eventually playing some U18's games for them.

Even if we wanted him we'd have had to take him in the main draft because Essendon had 1st pick in the rookie draft, Of course we could also have taken former Ballarat Rebels and Ballarat Roosters Rowan Marshall also.

Edited

Screenshot 2020-08-10 at 3.16.07 PM.png Screenshot 2020-08-10 at 3.11.18 PM.png

Last edited:
Draper was hardly right under any recruiters noses let alone ours having only just switched from playing reserves and U18's soccer for South Adelaide's soccer club and only switched over to footy because some of his mates were playing footy at Reynella and kept trying to get him to join them so he switched to footy over that summer and played a few games for Reynella before the Panthers contacted him to come out and have a run with them eventually playing some U18's games for them.

Even if we wanted him we'd have had to take him in the main draft because Essendon had 1st pick in the rookie draft, the draft we took Tyson Stengle with pick 6. Of course we could also have taken former Ballarat Rebels and Ballarat Roosters Rowan Marshall with our Stengle pick because the Saints picked him up at pick 10.

We never drafted Stengle?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Draper, Ladhams and Marshall are three very handy ruck talents from the top ten of that rookie draft.
The thing that Rowan has over the other 2 is he's also a very competent half forward or half back.....and a beautiful kick for a tall, as good as they come in that regard.

Any chance we can just skip forward to November 2021 pls ? :cool:

I love his first 5 steps! Seems to use his burst to get separation extremely easily at every level he plays in.

I mentioned before the I think pick 20 of this draft should be dangled for a 2021 1st rounder (should be do-able). If we can move on 1 other senior player like Laird or MCrouch for a future 1st I would do it. Have 3 x 1st's in next years draft gives us great amount of ammo to get a kid like this (even though we would have to be favourite to come dead last anyway).

Sorry if this re: Caleb Poulter has already been shared, first time I've seen it.

Thought it was interesting to read he is being tagged most weeks. Seems to still find a fair bit of footy.
i like the look of this lad... big bodied mid too..

Ok that's good. I see these scouts experts say hes like a Buddy Franklin probably because they both play forward, left footers, have speed for tall players but JUH has no where near the leg or skill Buddy had only from watching Buddy in his rookie season for the Hawks in 05 not before. From what i can see JUH will never be a very good kick unless that's all he is doing while he cant play and improves a crazy amount.
Say what?

Draper, Ladhams and Marshall are three very handy ruck talents from the top ten of that rookie draft.
There's nothing at all to gain from playing 'what if?' on speculative bigs in rookie drafts from a few years ago. We went into that draft with Jarman locked in and Shaw being moved to the rookie list. We didn't take a pick in that draft. Those guys were all taken before our pick if we had one anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back