NT 2020 Northern Territory Election - LABOR WIN

Who are you voting for/would you vote for?

• Territory Alliance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (specify in post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

TA is ahead in Araluen, and Gumbula and Guyula look like winning seats or going close. All oppose fracking.
I stand corrected on the TA, the latter two are not members of any recognised party however. The distinction is important because independents rely more on their personal charm and relationship to constituents, as opposed to a party candidate who can pick up votes from their party's image.

Poor showing for the Greens. With the ALP reversing their stance on fracking and the CLP and TA cutting each other’s throats, they would have been hoping for much more than a 1.3% swing. Still no seats for them.

It would be amazing if Ian Gumbula can win Arnhem and keep Labor to 12 seats. If he and Yinguya Guyula are working together with the balance of power there might finally be some real indigenous policy reform in the NT - particularly around justice.

That is, provided the ALP don’t sell out and work with that corrupt scumbag Purick.
greens are a joke, can't understand how anyone votes for them, on the subject of a joke how is Purick still even in politics?

Unfortunate. If the indigenous independents had held the balance of power, we might have seen some palpable improvement in ATSI policy.
I seriously doubt it, the indigenous independents are usually bullies or sneaky and trick the locals, larrissa Lee prime example and nova peris classic what can go wrong

the indigenous independents are usually bullies or sneaky and trick the locals
Well that’s definitely not a racist generalisation

Yingiya Guyula has been a tireless worker for indigenous rights during his time in parliament. Whilst I don’t agree with everything he does, I have no doubt that (had he had been lucky enough to hold the balance of power) he would have achieved a great deal - particularly around indigenous justice.

But when even someone like Bomberboyokay (young, ostensibly progressive) shares your sentiments, what hope does he have?

Last edited:
A cursory glance at the government backbench might also spy a few impediments to improvements in ATSI policy as well.
I don’t think Gunner’s team is especially bad, but both sides of politics in the NT have made hay out of taking a harsh line on indigenous policy to appease Darwinites.

There seems little hope for improvement without a minority government to force some concessions on stuff like law and order and family and community services.

Back