Game Day 2021 AFL Draft

Every draft is 'essential'. National, rookie, pre season etc. Every pick is an opportunity to pick up an All Australian captain.
Kinnear said in Twomey interview, our list needs are midfielders, KPP's (at both ends), running players. That pretty much covers every position - He doesn't give much away.
Kinnear also said there will be no 'quality' KPPs at our selection and that this draft is weak for KPPs.
This year we picked up a 209cm 20yo ruckman; a 203cm 23yo forward ruck and will pick up a 195cm 25yo KPP (who was a former no. 1 draft pick). It seems that our recruiting staff have significantly added to our tall stocks.
To draft the players the Swans did suggests there is a long term plan that we are not privy to (and despite some of us highly rating our own expertise), we dont understand.
Ill enjoy watching the draftees develop. Enjoy asking questions and try and work out the inner workings of Swans list management, which I may never find out the answers.. basically, sit back and enjoy the ride.

I am not saying this draft won't produce great players. I just rate our existing list so highly that I actually don't think we need any more great players, hence the "essential" comment. But I ain't complaining if we get one!

My comment was a positive, stop turning everything into a negative.

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos
Interesting this year we pick a bunch of relative nobodies and it's "in Dalrymple we trust" and "remember Simon's comment about clean hands".

When Beatson selects a bunch of relative nobodies, we're always reaching and never just going for the obvious talents!
I liked the bit where reaching is the biggest possible crime, then we do the biggest reach of the draft, and it's all going to plan.

One thing I am very happy about is the emphasis on toughness and attitude. I don’t ever want to see a Swans side beaten up again.

Aye. I was at the game v Carlton Filth when Mills was bullied repeatedly without support. Our loss was poor, the lack of support was unforgivable. Horse's most shameful effort as coach.

I am not saying this draft won't produce great players. I just rate our existing list so highly that I actually don't think we need any more great players, hence the "essential" comment. But I ain't complaining if we get one!

My comment was a positive, stop turning everything into a negative.

Ignore negative Nev.

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I liked the bit where reaching is the biggest possible crime, then we do the biggest reach of the draft, and it's all going to plan.

Consensus thought doesn't necessarily equate to best selection because subjective opinion is involved. If our recruiters are ahead of the rest (and I think they are) then our choices often will not be consensus. So when I hear a supposed expert say that was a surprise selection I instead think we chose a bargain that no one else was on to. Eg Sheldrick

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney

Which one was this reach? None were reaches at all

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Campbell on the inside? The only inside he is seeing in the inside of a library if Chad and Sheldrick are around. But sure, it would rely on that and be dependent on Sheldrick looking robust at training the way Chad attacked his first year - no prisoners. Looks up for it tbh. JPK might not want a miss a game with Chad and Sheldrick coming on. As good as JPK is at getting his hands on the pill, we might just function better with the added speed away from (and chasing) the contest at centre bounces especially.
Add to that speed from the contest the fact Sheldrick kicks just as well on his non preferred. His ability to hit targets is Sam Mitchell like.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah the Madden and Daniher bros did play in the same side. I am not sure but Danihers might have had 3 in the same side at one time or other.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

All four played one day. Sheedy played Chris who was struggling for the romance of it all.

I find it so interesting reading a few of the recaps who have implied our draft wasn't a success.

I wanted us to take a group of players entirely different to the ones we ended up taking. However in those cases, we ended up passing on those players and choosing others instead.

We ended up with Sheldrick over a Sonsie because we wanted Sheldrick over Sonsie.

We ended up with Roberts over a Bazzo because we wanted Roberts over Bazzo.

We ended up with Warner over a Taylor because we wanted Warner over Taylor.

A lot of the more fancied names were available but we chose not to take them, and in doing so, we got the players WE wanted. How can that not be commended?

Oh I know how. Because the pundits are basically just confused that recruiters would dare to judge players differently to them.

We've picked up Lewis Taylor in the rookie draft. Haven't seen much of him, seems promising. Big call here but I reckon he could win a Rising Star.

Just realised there is a cat b signing period today.

Imo the draft process is a mess. We have-

1. National draft
2.pre season draft
3.rookie draft
4. Cat b signing
5. Spp

Is all that really necessary?
no

Back