Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
We already have one on the list. Ya’ll don’t know it yet. ;)

images
too skinny - won't make it

Jai Newcombe at Box Hill is 20. He got a mention from Sam Mitchell in the last practice match. In the three VFL games so far he hasn't been mentioned by Sam, but if you look at the club votes on the sportstg.com results site, he has been in the best two players in all the games. He's a very strong, hard at it, big bodied mid. He looked like he was injured just before half time on Sunday and wouldn't play in the second half but came out after half time and played very well. Not sure why he hasn't been mentioned by Sam, under wraps?

Jai Newcombe at Box Hill is 20. He got a mention from Sam Mitchell in the last practice match. In the three VFL games so far he hasn't been mentioned by Sam, but if you look at the club votes on the sportstg.com results site, he has been in the best two players in all the games. He's a very strong, hard at it, big bodied mid. He looked like he was injured just before half time on Sunday and wouldn't play in the second half but came out after half time and played very well. Not sure why he hasn't been mentioned by Sam, under wraps?
He would just be another inside type that we don’t need.

Hoping we get the best available talent midfielder in Australia

For Mid-Draft, who do you think we need to support our midfielders that's our weaknesses

i think our rucks are struggling, we have McEvoy who is doing ok but not at his peak, Ceglar who is struggling hard and Brooksby who is a 31 year old filler at best, then we have a developing Reeves, we need to replace 3 rucks in a couple of years and the smart play is to bring in a ruck or 2 asap imo.

What’s the options? edwards, Heath?? Any others? Who would you take Davo-27

Jacob Edwards - Sandringham
Max Heath - Sandringham
Ned Moyle - Oakleigh
Kalin Lane - WA

then probably a few from the state leagues which might be better options because they might be ready to go, i dont watch the state leagues so i dont know the options other than the 19 year olds.

i think our rucks are struggling, we have McEvoy who is doing ok but not at his peak, Ceglar who is struggling hard and Brooksby who is a 31 year old filler at best, then we have a developing Reeves, we need to replace 3 rucks in a couple of years and the smart play is to bring in a ruck or 2 asap imo.
Absolutely on point. It's urgent.

Absolutely on point. It's urgent.

our whole midfield group needs replacement in the near future

inside mids - are just ok, we dont have a top 20 mid in the league atm, i was watching true footy on youtube and they did a midfielder tier list and our 3 mids Tom Mitchell, JOM and Worpel were in the 4th tier which i agree with, which is disappointing to see how many better mids in the AFL there are, Shiels would maybe be in the 5th tier list if he was included.

outside mids - other than Phillips who isnt in his best form we have no wingers atm, i wouldnt be against Impey on the wing and open up a hbf spot for the million hbf we have or maybe develop Day there or even give Downie or Bramble a debut? we dont seem to be developing any of them in the AFL which is frustrating

rucks - we have 3 older rucks who are not in career best form at all, then we have a developing giant who might not even debut this year? and for list management sake we should have at least another under 23 ruck to develop for when the inevitable happens and the 3 older rucks retire.

therefore recruiting any part of our future midfield is the priority, whether that be Rucks, inside mids or outside mids, we need quality OR we need to see results from these guys who have yet to debut to be able to make informed decisions for the present and the futures sake, if the match committee will allow.

Last edited:

inside mids - are just ok, we dont have a top 20 mid in the league atm, i was watching true footy on youtube and they did a midfielder tier list and our 3 mids Tom Mitchell, JOM and Worpel were in the 4th tier which i agree with, which is disappointing to see how many better mids in the AFL there are, Shiels would maybe be in the 5th tier list if he was included.

outside mids - other than Phillips who isnt in his best form we have no wingers atm, i wouldnt be against Impey on the wing and open up a hbf spot for the million hbf we have or maybe develop Day there or even give Downie or Bramble a debut? we dont seem to be developing any of them in the AFL which is frustrating

rucks - we have 3 older rucks who are not in career best form at all, then we have a developing giant who might not even debut this year? and for list management sake we should have at least another under 23 ruck to develop for when the inevitable happens and the 3 older rucks retire.

therefore recruiting any part of our future midfield is the priority, whether that be Rucks, inside mids or outside mids, we need quality OR we need to see results from these guys who have yet to debut to be able to make informed decisions for the present and the futures sake, if the match committee will allow.

Or imagine if our midfield could plan for our ruck to win a hit out, as opposed to the other team's ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question for yourself and the other draft watchers: would someone like a Tyler Sonsie come in and improve our midfield immediately? Which mids (other than Horne and Daicos) would be tracking to have the biggest midfield in our setup?
Also would Moyle be a good fit for us as a ruck? He's put together a pretty good body of work from what I've read.

Might be time to assume that we won't be playing finals and give Sicily the time to fully recover for next year and open up another spot for the mid year draft. Not sure why SYL thinks Newcombe isn't worth looking at, particularly when he is playing much better than all our draft picks from last year.

We should only be picking up a mid season pick if we think they have improved dramatically from where we rated them last year and if they are a likely top 30ish pick in the 2021 draft. The one exception would be to get a developing ruck on the list early.

For Mid-Draft, who do you think we need to support our midfielders that's our weaknesses
Best available, but it has to be someone with pace and footskills. Perhaps even a dangerous forward.

I’m not taking a 19yr old ruck in the mid season draft unless they’re absolutely one out of the box. We don’t need a 19yr old Lowden or Pittonet that’s just going to sit behind Reeves. That would be kinda pointless unless their cieling was immense.

If there’s a 24-26yr old that looks like they’d be ahead of Reeves that would make some sense, but I’m still thinking we need quick mid types or a Flying Ryan type mature pick up who’s tearing up a state league as an electric forward.

Might be time to assume that we won't be playing finals and give Sicily the time to fully recover for next year and open up another spot for the mid year draft. Not sure why SYL thinks Newcombe isn't worth looking at, particularly when he is playing much better than all our draft picks from last year.
Newcombe is another inside mid type.

Not at all sure he’s really the type of midfielder we need, and that will improve us.

this isn't the thread to go into detail but JOM would absolutely be elite based on form this year, and tom Mitchell would've been tier 2 in 2018. Conversely Worpel would probably struggle to even be on that list on his 2021 performance

so I don't think we need to replenish inside mids, we just need to complement them. As you say, that includes a ruck as a core part of the midfield set up.

I think we desperately need to target outside mids, good ball-users in ANY position, rucks, and fast, pressure players (which we may have already done in the last draft).

Possibly another KPD too, but I think that will need to wait until we get more of an idea just how good and what true position Denver will play. I probably wouldn't go drafting another KPP this year.

3 top 25 picks will go a long way to achieving this, but I can see the MSD as a place we could pick up some 23-28 y.o ruck or KPD depth. I think we will leave the mids until the National draft, but we will see

this isn't the thread to go into detail but JOM would absolutely be elite based on form this year, and tom Mitchell would've been tier 2 in 2018. Conversely Worpel would probably struggle to even be on that list on his 2021 performance

so I don't think we need to replenish inside mids, we just need to complement them. As you say, that includes a ruck as a core part of the midfield set up.

I think we desperately need to target outside mids, good ball-users in ANY position, rucks, and fast, pressure players (which we may have already done in the last draft).

Possibly another KPD too, but I think that will need to wait until we get more of an idea just how good and what true position Denver will play. I probably wouldn't go drafting another KPP this year.

3 top 25 picks will go a long way to achieving this, but I can see the MSD as a place we could pick up some 23-28 y.o ruck or KPD depth. I think we will leave the mids until the National draft, but we will see
Mitchell was the best player in the comp in 2018, if that’s not tier 1 than what is?

We are in for a long term rebuild, so I don't mind the idea of picking up Heath or Edwards in the MSD.

If they are young and talented ruckmen then it's better we get one now whilst we can, and I doubt any midfielders available now are going to help us long term. So I'd rather we use a MSD pick now, instead of a regular draft pick at the end of the season.

As exciting a thought as it is to be involved in the MSD, don’t be at all surprised if we end up with a pick outside the top 5 in the MSD and we pass because the players we wanted were gone at pick 1, 2 and 3.

We are in for a long term rebuild, so I don't mind the idea of picking up Heath or Edwards in the MSD.

If they are young and talented ruckmen then it's better we get one now whilst we can, and I doubt any midfielders available now are going to help us long term. So I'd rather we use a MSD pick now, instead of a regular draft pick at the end of the season.
I’m with you. We take this opportunity to improve the list. If that is a ruckman who is five years away, well this is for a rookie list spot anyway so it doesn’t hurt us to add him in and give him a trial over the next six months to see what we have to work with.

As exciting a thought as it is to be involved in the MSD, don’t be at all surprised if we end up with a pick outside the top 5 in the MSD and we pass because the players we wanted were gone at pick 1, 2 and 3.
Also don’t be surprised to see some players dodge the msd so they can be taken in the ND later this year and avoid being on the rookie list. Talk was edwards was considering not going into the md.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back