2021 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

maybe its because Reid has an extra 150 games experience, maybe its Reids greater mobility and versatility? Maybe Horse' opinion is a better opinion than yours?
but 'so what'.. Ive got no comeback

Not sure celebrating a possible injury to Reid is a good look.

Not celebrating a possible injury to Reid. I'm celebrating a possible scenario where the two young forwards I wanted to see play together (McLean & McDonald) may actually end up playing together.

That’s a reasonable perspective.

However whilst a good solid team player Hewett is a run of the mill inside mid, at least he has been up until this point and he hasn’t shown any signs of being more than that consistently at this stage.

So I think a player of his calibre is replaceable by trade without too much trouble, particularly in the age of free agents. Also given 2024 is 3 years away, we are going to have to take calculated gambles on these kids anyway and I have to say I am fairly confident in them. We will also be in a position to trade players in and target free agents between now and then.

Right now, if the lineup stayed the same I’d move Mills back to defence and Hewett back to the middle.

iirc Hewett came 2nd in the 2019 B&F and if that means anything, the Club valued him as our leading mid. He is paying the penalty of JPK playing on.

Not celebrating a possible injury to Reid. I'm celebrating a possible scenario where the two young forwards I wanted to see play together (McLean & McDonald) may actually end up playing together.
And they will. But McLean isn’t a patch on Reid, yet, and nor is McDonald. Be patient. Don’t look at the shiny new toy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And they will. But McLean isn’t a patch on Reid, yet, and nor is McDonald. Be patient. Don’t look at the shiny new toy.

The three players offer different things.

McLean is an aggressive player... in his 1st or 2nd game he was our leading contested ball winner at half timev-ran out of tickets thereafter. He is undersized as a ruck. He is a decent mark and kick and seems to have great game awareness. Doubts remain about his aerobic capacity and agility.

Reid is a decent mark and his kicking has improved. Another undersized ruck. Just does not get much of the ball. I can remember McCartin playing as a fwd, deftly tapping the ball to a player running past. That is not the sort of nous in Reid's highlight's reel. He has never darkened the door of a top 10 BnF.

Who knows how McDonald will develop. He sure can run and kick and is an aerobic beast. He also seems to have footy smarts. His presence helped the structure and game style in Q3 of the last game.

iirc Hewett came 2nd in the 2019 B&F and if that means anything, the Club valued him as our leading mid. He is paying the penalty of JPK playing on.

Oh I have no doubt he has been valued, particularly for his ability to shut down key opposition players but also get a bit of the ball himself.

Agree he is could pay the penalty for others in there including JPK and of course the newcomer Mills.
Plus others who need development there and are more dynamic.

Don’t get the half back experiment personally, perhaps it was just a fitness exercise in a trial game.

I’d probably switch Mills and Hewett as I rate Hewett as a much better mid out of the two. I’d have Parker starting forward.

I hear McLean kicked a bag in the latest reserves match.

And I see that Reid was in an arm-brace yesterday.

Stars aligning.

Probably could have put this differently. I know you said you’re not celebrating injury but it just looks bad, especially with your obvious disregard for Reid in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The three players offer different things.

McLean is an aggressive player... in his 1st or 2nd game he was our leading contested ball winner at half timev-ran out of tickets thereafter. He is undersized as a ruck. He is a decent mark and kick and seems to have great game awareness. Doubts remain about his aerobic capacity and agility.

Reid is a decent mark and his kicking has improved. Another undersized ruck. Just does not get much of the ball. I can remember McCartin playing as a fwd, deftly tapping the ball to a player running past. That is not the sort of nous in Reid's highlight's reel. He has never darkened the door of a top 10 BnF.

Who knows how McDonald will develop. He sure can run and kick and is an aerobic beast. He also seems to have footy smarts. His presence helped the structure and game style in Q3 of the last game.
You couldn’t be more wrong on Reid’s absence of nous. THAT is why he’s persevered with. He’s a decent mark but also an excellent second effort player.

Probably could have put this differently. I know you said you’re not celebrating injury but it just looks bad, especially with your obvious disregard for Reid in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep that’s fair enough. I do not wish injury upon anyone, let alone a Swans player.

I think we’re gonna have an exciting year no matter what our win-loss ratio is, by sheer volume of good kicks we have in the team.

If I was to look at our top 10 kicks on the list, it would probably look something like:

1. Buddy
2. Rampe
3. Dawson
4. Blakey
5. McInerney
6. Rowbottom
7. Heeney
8. Cunningham
9. Hewett
10. Lloyd

(With honourable mention to Parker for his freakish goal kicking)

The fact our two best kicks of the ball are veterans over 30 (and one who has barely played in recent years) is balanced out when you consider the kids who we’ve seen very little/nothing of who could very well end up making that list once they get a decent sample of games under their belt: Stephens, Ling, Campbell, Gulden.

It could be a luxury of quality ball users by foot on our list over the next 5-10 years. That ability, combined with the willingness we showed in the preseason games and all last year to attempt some truly ambitious kicks, combined with a guy like Don Pyke on board, would make us undeniably formidable. Haven’t even played a game yet this year but I have zero doubts about the state of our ball movement in the future.

******* excited.

I think we’re gonna have an exciting year no matter what our win-loss ratio is, by sheer volume of good kicks we have in the team.

If I was to look at our top 10 kicks on the list, it would probably look something like:

1. Buddy
2. Rampe
3. Dawson
4. Blakey
5. McInerney
6. Rowbottom
7. Heeney
8. Cunningham
9. Hewett
10. Lloyd

(With honourable mention to Parker for his freakish goal kicking)

The fact our two best kicks of the ball are veterans over 30 (and one who has barely played in recent years) is balanced out when you consider the kids who we’ve seen very little/nothing of who could very well end up making that list once they get a decent sample of games under their belt: Stephens, Ling, Campbell, Gulden.

It could be a luxury of quality ball users by foot on our list over the next 5-10 years. That ability, combined with the willingness we showed in the preseason games and all last year to attempt some truly ambitious kicks, combined with a guy like Don Pyke on board, would make us undeniably formidable. Haven’t even played a game yet this year but I have zero doubts about the state of our ball movement in the future.

******* excited.

Prescient post from C88. After 4 rounds the influence of Pyke and others can be seen. There may need to be revision to the Top 10 list. Field kicking combines technical ability, composure and vision.

Will leave it to C88 and others but I reckon Gulden, Ollie and Campbell (despite some errors) would be on that list at the moment. Maybe Blakey, Cunningham and Lloyd would be outs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back