List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
for a long time, people have been posting that JPK, Parker and Hewett as a combo are too slow and too similar to play in the midfield together,, led by our midfield expert and former Roman Dictator. Last weekend, JPK attended 86% of centre bounces, Parker 83%, Hewett 72% (next most was Rowbum 28%). Thought they did pretty well. But if that combo is too slow, does something have to change?
JPK has signed for next year, Parker is a co-captain, is much better in the midfield than forward and has the best numbers.

Where does that leave Hewett? He's a b22 player as a mid. Hes not a b22 player as a forward or a back.
Dawson, Blakey, McInerney, Gulden, Heeney, Campbell, Stephens, Florent are (or will be) ahead of Hewett on the wings
Mills, Rowbum and Warner are (or will be) ahead of Hewett inside.

Im a fan of Hewetts, but reckon he's a decent chance of leaving.
Hewett would be a massive loss. I've gone over this a few times, but when you are challenging for top 4 the last thing you want to do is trade a best 22 player out.
I think the solution is giving Parker more forward time, since I think he does some serious magic there, and give JPK a Cochin like role where he's there to support the mids around him. This isn't to say they shouldn't lead the midfield when necessary, because we 100% lose against GWS without them running amok in the mids, but we need to start integrating our next wave of mids so that they can learn together.

Feel what next year?

We will feel the effects of not really making any changes to the midfield this year. I don't think it's anyone's fault really, there've been a few different circumstances that have led to our midfield not really changing from years past (unexpected finals chance giving Horse no choice but to play the veterans to get as many wins as possible, Rowbottom being injured, Warner being injured etc.)

But I do worry that although we've taken huge strides forward in our rebuild this year, the growing pains in our midfield will kick in next year if or when we actually do make changes to the midfield once and for all. Because for all the talk of our youth, how good our young mids are, how much we've regenerated blah blah, our main midfield from the last month, and likely midfield in finals (JPK, Parker, Hewett and Mills), has an average age of 27.5 and 181 games played, and also includes that maligned trio from way back in 2018.

So we have a lot of work to do. Like I said I understand why things have turned out the way they have this year, but it's yet another year where the changing of the guard has been delayed and at some point, when that bandaid is ripped off, there's going to be an adjustment period and make no mistake about it, it will be rough. It's a shame that that period is likely going to come next year, when we'd be expecting to be even better than we have been this year.

We will feel the effects of not really making any changes to the midfield this year. I don't think it's anyone's fault really, there've been a few different circumstances that have led to our midfield not really changing from years past (unexpected finals chance giving Horse no choice but to play the veterans to get as many wins as possible, Rowbottom being injured, Warner being injured etc.)

But I do worry that although we've taken huge strides forward in our rebuild this year, the growing pains in our midfield will kick in next year if or when we actually do make changes to the midfield once and for all. Because for all the talk of our youth, how good our young mids are, how much we've regenerated blah blah, our main midfield from the last month, and likely midfield in finals (JPK, Parker, Hewett and Mills), has an average age of 27.5 and 181 games played, and also includes that maligned trio from way back in 2018.

So we have a lot of work to do. Like I said I understand why things have turned out the way they have this year, but it's yet another year where the changing of the guard has been delayed and at some point, when that bandaid is ripped off, there's going to be an adjustment period and make no mistake about it, it will be rough. It's a shame that that period is likely going to come next year, when we'd be expecting to be even better than we have been this year.
It's an interesting problem, because by all accounts, at the beginning of the year we had shaken this problem off.
I dont know how much it'll affect us, and it'll be interesting to see what happens next year, but I think we can both agree that we are a better coached midfield group. But it does suck having Rowbottom, Mills, and Warner all missing at various points in the season.

It's an interesting problem, because by all accounts, at the beginning of the year we had shaken this problem off.
I dont know how much it'll affect us, and it'll be interesting to see what happens next year, but I think we can both agree that we are a better coached midfield group. But it does suck having Rowbottom, Mills, and Warner all missing at various points in the season.
Rewatching the Giants game I noticed that Errol had at least one CBA. Sneaky!

We hadn't really shaken the problem off though. It was a very common sight to see one of Rowbottom or Warner coming off for a spell and giving the other a high-five as he came on. Rinse and repeat. Running onto the field to be the designated "kid" in the midfield. Have kept count since round 1 and they were at the same centre bounce only twice this year. Our two young bulls of the future in a young rebuilding side and they were only trusted together at two centre bounces. Hewett didn't even go in there at all until both were out of the team.

Yeah, Mills has gone in there and arguably taken over the mantle of the midfield, but the lion's share of his work has been alongside JPK and Parker. Those three have absolutely dominated our CBAs this year. So he follows in the long line of examples - Jones, Hewett, Florent, Rowbottom, Warner - of young Swans mids who we learn is very capable of playing well... alongside the two veterans.

Great. It tells us diddly squat about what our future looks like once those veterans are out of the picture.

We hadn't really shaken the problem off though. It was a very common sight to see one of Rowbottom or Warner coming off for a spell and giving the other a high-five as he came on. Rinse and repeat. Running onto the field to be the designated "kid" in the midfield. Have kept count since round 1 and they were at the same centre bounce only twice this year. Our two young bulls of the future in a young rebuilding side and they were only trusted together at two centre bounces. Hewett didn't even go in there at all until both were out of the team.

Yeah, Mills has gone in there and arguably taken over the mantle of the midfield, but the lion's share of his work has been alongside JPK and Parker. Those three have absolutely dominated our CBAs this year. So he follows in the long line of examples - Jones, Hewett, Florent, Rowbottom, Warner - of young Swans mids who we learn is very capable of playing well... alongside the two veterans.

Great. It tells us diddly squat about what our future looks like once those veterans are out of the picture.

but it's not about "telling us" what the future looks like, it's whatever the coaches and team bosses are working on ... as fans, if you're talking some kind of "finished product", we'll see it when we see it, but i don't think there is such a thing, it's football, it's (as they say) a constant state of flux ...
clearly, there's a plan to develop these younger players with rotations in the midfield - rowbottom, warner, gulden, mcinerney, florent, hewett (i'll include wicks too, and not writing off bell the way many have) ... and we've already seen the mills move from defence ...

this idea that we have a "problem", that we'll "feel the effects of not making changes", confuses me ... we have this potentially outstanding group of young players, not just in the midfield ... if and when they're ready to take over those senior roles, they will
it's all very well in theory having a "succession plan" for onfield positions but the reality doesn't always follow that
i'm very happy and reassured by what i've seen of the way the coaches have handled the progress of these young players this year

This is reminding me of those dark times in 2005 and 2012 when our list wasn't evolving and we were in danger of falling off a cliff.

Foxsports did an analysis of all 18 teams' lists and what is needed at the draft. They recommend we go after a ruckman, and wait for it, the name they threw forward is Mac Andrew. Now I have no idea of this guy's attributes or talents but I wholeheartedly agree we should draft him just for the confusion for VFL commentators when we have 2 ruckmen called Lachlan McAndrew and Mac Andrew on the same team.

Last edited:

That's what I mean. It had looked like we had Rowbottom, Warner, and Mills all introduced in the first game, and it was looking like we were preparing them for time together.
And then we didn't.

but it's not about "telling us" what the future looks like, it's whatever the coaches and team bosses are working on ... as fans, if you're talking some kind of "finished product", we'll see it when we see it, but i don't think there is such a thing, it's football, it's (as they say) a constant state of flux ...
clearly, there's a plan to develop these younger players with rotations in the midfield - rowbottom, warner, gulden, mcinerney, florent, hewett (i'll include wicks too, and not writing off bell the way many have) ... and we've already seen the mills move from defence ...

this idea that we have a "problem", that we'll "feel the effects of not making changes", confuses me ... we have this potentially outstanding group of young players, not just in the midfield ... if and when they're ready to take over those senior roles, they will
it's all very well in theory having a "succession plan" for onfield positions but the reality doesn't always follow that
i'm very happy and reassured by what i've seen of the way the coaches have handled the progress of these young players this year

The problem is that our mids regularly give up clearances.

This is reminding me of those dark times in 2005 and 2012 when our list wasn't evolving and we were in danger of falling off a cliff.

I'm very optimistic actually Bruce. I said above that not seeing enough change in the midfield was the only negative I could think of this year really. And even that's not anyone's fault, as if I was Horse this year I would've done exactly as he's done.

That's what I mean. It had looked like we had Rowbottom, Warner, and Mills all introduced in the first game, and it was looking like we were preparing them for time together.
And then we didn't.
Rowbottom got injured and has been in relatively average form since. Warner is injured. Those two are still very young. Mills has played every game hes been available inside.
JPK and Parker are still crucial to the midfield. JPK might play less minutes (not many less) and Parker might rest forward (is a much better mid than forward). C88 is demanding Hewett is re-signed, taking away a spot from the young mids and 2 months ago was wanting us to trade in Mundy!?
Trust in the process.. List Mgt have insights that BF has never even thought about. C88 is right to say 'we know diddly squat of what the future looks like'. But we can assume that the Coaches and List Mgt feel JPK is needed another year to help develop the young crew,, that Parker and Mills are key cogs to the midfield over the next few years,, and that the Swans are developing a diverse mix of young mids as best they can.

There will be casualties. Hewett hasn't re-signed. He likely to if, Hes judged as being a better/more affordable player than others. If no other team has a spot for him, he'll stay, but on less money, If other teams are chasing him, he may go.
We have very little idea of, salaries, future plans, coaches thoughts on individuals and combinations of players.

Don't get me wrong I have loved what Horse & co have done this year, and I'm not saying that we're gonna be in for long-term turmoil because our midfield hasn't evolved enough yet. But I can easily see a scenario next year where the rest of the team is absolutely on song - forward line dangerous, transition from defence elite - while the midfield is a bit of a shambles as younger players take on greater roles. It has to happen at some point, I'm not objecting to JPK and Parker's impact, I am saying they won't be around forever, and that's just a fact. No point denying that that change will come. So this year might've been an ideal time to redistribute and rewire the midfield as we have done with every other area of the team. As it happens, circumstances have kinda left Horse's hands tied and that hasn't happened this year.

So I think even though I am convinced that all the pieces are there, seeing them come together will take some time and next year might be more of a necessary backwards step before we take another forward step into contention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowbottom got injured and has been in relatively average form since. Warner is injured. Those two are still very young. Mills has played every game hes been available inside.
JPK and Parker are still crucial to the midfield. JPK might play less minutes (not many less) and Parker might rest forward (is a much better mid than forward). C88 is demanding Hewett is re-signed, taking away a spot from the young mids and 2 months ago was wanting us to trade in Mundy!?
Trust in the process.. List Mgt have insights that BF has never even thought about. C88 is right to say 'we know diddly squat of what the future looks like'. But we can assume that the Coaches and List Mgt feel JPK is needed another year to help develop the young crew,, that Parker and Mills are key cogs to the midfield over the next few years,, and that the Swans are developing a diverse mix of young mids as best they can.

There will be casualties. Hewett hasn't re-signed. He likely to if, Hes judged as being a better/more affordable player than others. If no other team has a spot for him, he'll stay, but on less money, If other teams are chasing him, he may go.
We have very little idea of, salaries, future plans, coaches thoughts on individuals and combinations of players.

Hewett is 25. You make it seem like he is a fossil who there isn't a place for. He IS one of those 'young mids' you speak of. We could have five more years of him doing what he did on the weekend.

Might be worth not focusing on this year or next where JPK and Parker are in our midfield. Look beyond then, it's unlikely that either will still be in the midfield. JPK re-signing for only one more year is indicative of where the club and JPK himself sees him at. We'll be priming our future midfield with the younger guys through who will edge Parker out, likely into a more forward role. It is commonplace for teams to have a main inside rotation of four. A few years from now we would have Mills, Rowbottom and Warner. I see absolutely no reason Hewett can't be the fourth.

As Kapers and I noted, he and Mills would provide the brute ying to Rowbottom and Warner's more attacking yang. That's a potentially great and potent dynamic that I'm not sure why you continually write off just because of two champions who won't be relevant in that discussion when we are there. If we tie our future to two veterans who won't play a big part in it then we're really just shooting ourselves in the foot.

Yeah, that's what I said, it's not Horses fault at all. It's just luck at this point.

Foxsports did an analysis of all 18 teams' lists and what is needed at the draft. They recommend we go after a ruckman, and wait for it, the name they threw forward is Mac Andrew. Now I have no idea of this guy's attributes or talents but I wholeheartedly agree we should draft him just for the confusion for VFL commentators when we have 2 ruckmen called Lachlan McAndrew and Mac Andrew on the same team.

Think he's meant to be the best ruck prospect in the draft, but Mac Andrew is also another lightly framed project player in the vein of McAndrew (I'm already confused!). I feel like with Sincs and Naismith on last legs, and Amartey won't be a full-time ruck, we need someone who can come in and be solid for 80% game time. It really all depends on when we see our flag window opening up. If the club thinks we're 3-4 years from challenging, sure get the project player. But given we're in the hunt for a top 4 spot right now (we'll see what happens with the rest of the year), someone who can play a full time ruck role within 1-2 years e.g. a trade for an underused 20-25 y.o. or using our higher pick on a KPP, then picking up a mature ager (still 20-25 y.o.) later in the draft or rookie draft, is the way to go. Of course, we could do both - pick up a project ruck and one who can play already (suspect we'll do 1 at the most if Sincs or Naismith are still on the books at years end).

Last edited:
Hewett is 25. You make it seem like he is a fossil who there isn't a place for. He IS one of those 'young mids' you speak of. We could have five more years of him doing what he did on the weekend.

Might be worth not focusing on this year or next where JPK and Parker are in our midfield. Look beyond then, it's unlikely that either will still be in the midfield. JPK re-signing for only one more year is indicative of where the club and JPK himself sees him at. We'll be priming our future midfield with the younger guys through who will edge Parker out, likely into a more forward role. It is commonplace for teams to have a main inside rotation of four. A few years from now we would have Mills, Rowbottom and Warner. I see absolutely no reason Hewett can't be the fourth.

As Kapers and I noted, he and Mills would provide the brute ying to Rowbottom and Warner's more attacking yang. That's a potentially great and potent dynamic that I'm not sure why you continually write off just because of two champions who won't be relevant in that discussion when we are there. If we tie our future to two veterans who won't play a big part in it then we're really just shooting ourselves in the foot.
Hewett is the oldest mid out of Mills, and the rest. Hes good inside and a very good tagger. Hes not a fossil, not sure why you'd say that? JPK has another year, Parker another 3 or 4.
Looking beyond JPK, ie. 2023. Parker will be the senior mid with another couple of years to offer. Mills will be in his prime. Current players like Rowbum, Warner, Florent, Stephens, Campbell, Gulden, etc etc....... will be seriously contributing and all things being equal, demanding a spot in the 22.
I reckon Rowbum will be the 'brute ying' as you say, to the midfield. Hes been playing a defensive midfield role this year, and Parker made a few comments early this season to suggest thats where hes heading. The defensive role could simply be part of his development? not sure, but dont think so.

Hewett is interesting.. maybe he was put on the trade table last year to off load salary? but he still hasn't re-signed. I can see how he may be traded this year, can also see him staying.
There were rumours the Swans were into Lipinski 23yo @ rd 1 next year - three years younger than Hewett, and I think a more attacking mid (better leg speed). Why would the Swans be asking questions of Lipinski?

Hewett is the oldest mid out of Mills, and the rest. Hes good inside and a very good tagger. Hes not a fossil, not sure why you'd say that? JPK has another year, Parker another 3 or 4.
Looking beyond JPK, ie. 2023. Parker will be the senior mid with another couple of years to offer. Mills will be in his prime. Current players like Rowbum, Warner, Florent, Stephens, Campbell, Gulden, etc etc....... will be seriously contributing and all things being equal, demanding a spot in the 22.
I reckon Rowbum will be the 'brute ying' as you say, to the midfield. Hes been playing a defensive midfield role this year, and Parker made a few comments early this season to suggest thats where hes heading. The defensive role could simply be part of his development? not sure, but dont think so.

Hewett is interesting.. maybe he was put on the trade table last year to off load salary? but he still hasn't re-signed. I can see how he may be traded this year, can also see him staying.
There were rumours the Swans were into Lipinski 23yo @ rd 1 next year - three years younger than Hewett, and I think a more attacking mid (better leg speed). Why would the Swans be asking questions of Lipinski?

I'm not denying Hewett might go. I wouldn't blame him after being put on the trade table last year. I'm just saying I think you're under-estimating his worth and over-estimating Parker's worth to the midfield into the future.

If I was naming our midfield in 2 years time, assuming JPK is gone and Parker is being phased into a permanent forward role - I'd go Mills, Hewett, then start naming the others. He has shown, not just this year, that he can be every bit as good as an inside mid (not tagger) as we hope Rowbottom, Warner will be.

As for Lipinski, there was a Dogs supporter on here a while back saying that one of Lipinski's big weaknesses was his lack of leg speed. Hewett on the burst isn't in the same category as JPK or Parker, though he's certainly not as quick as Warner. Lipinski is also deficient in defensive pressure, something Hewett excels at. If we lose Hewett to pick up Lipinski, it's a fair loss on our part.

I'm not denying Hewett might go. I wouldn't blame him after being put on the trade table last year. I'm just saying I think you're under-estimating his worth and over-estimating Parker's worth to the midfield into the future.
Parkers worth to midfield over the next 2-3 years is Huge! Look at his numbers this year and his leadership. Maybe you're under-estimating Parkers worth?
I like Hewett, but reckon in 2-3 years others are likely to have over taken him.
If I was naming our midfield in 2 years time, assuming JPK is gone and Parker is being phased into a permanent forward role - I'd go Mills, Hewett, then start naming the others. He has shown, not just this year, that he can be every bit as good as an inside mid (not tagger) as we hope Rowbottom, Warner will be.

As for Lipinski, there was a Dogs supporter on here a while back saying that one of Lipinski's big weaknesses was his lack of leg speed. Hewett on the burst isn't in the same category as JPK or Parker, though he's certainly not as quick as Warner. Lipinski is also deficient in defensive pressure, something Hewett excels at. If we lose Hewett to pick up Lipinski, it's a fair loss on our part.
I dont subscribe to the thinking on here that Parker will play up forward. I reckon we have better forwards than him, and I reckon hes a much better mid. He may rest forward, but hes always been a mid, and I reckon he always will be. So, In 2 years time when naming the midfield, Id name Parker, Mills then the rest. If Hewett is on the list, then hes likely to be the next in, leaving a truckload of current 23yo and under competing for the last spot.
I dont understand why we would chase Lipinski with so many coming through, unless he adds something different, or Hewett (or even Parker) are leaving.
I dont pretend to know the answers.. just find the Hewett not signing at this point interesting

Parkers worth to midfield over the next 2-3 years is Huge! Look at his numbers this year and his leadership. Maybe you're under-estimating Parkers worth?
I like Hewett, but reckon in 2-3 years others are likely to have over taken him.

I dont subscribe to the thinking on here that Parker will play up forward. I reckon we have better forwards than him, and I reckon hes a much better mid. He may rest forward, but hes always been a mid, and I reckon he always will be. So, In 2 years time when naming the midfield, Id name Parker, Mills then the rest. If Hewett is on the list, then hes likely to be the next in, leaving a truckload of current 23yo and under competing for the last spot.
I dont understand why we would chase Lipinski with so many coming through, unless he adds something different, or Hewett (or even Parker) are leaving.
I dont pretend to know the answers.. just find the Hewett not signing at this point interesting
Fair points - though in 2 years time, Parker will be closing in on 31 and I reckon he'll play even more up forward to prolong his career. I'm not saying you kick him out of the mids entirely, just give some of his time to others. It's likely he'll be past his peak by then, but hey, maybe he hasn't reached it yet and he'll kick on for a lot longer.

Fair points - though in 2 years time, Parker will be closing in on 31 and I reckon he'll play even more up forward to prolong his career. I'm not saying you kick him out of the mids entirely, just give some of his time to others. It's likely he'll be past his peak by then, but hey, maybe he hasn't reached it yet and he'll kick on for a lot longer.
Parker's best years were as a high half forward rotating into the mids. If he does that in a few years and recaptures that form, that'd be fantastic with Mills and more physically mature Rowbottom and Warner doing the more inside grunt work

Well there you go then. I think it's just a case of you rating Parker very highly, so therefore Hewett's more expendable, and me rating Hewett very highly, so therefore Parker's more expendable.

And by expendable, I am referring strictly to the midfield. Obviously Parker's value to the club exceeds Hewett's in other areas - his leadership is undeniable and you want him on the field for your team. I just think he will be in his 30s and we will have a younger group of mids who will be faster and cleaner than Parker will be at that stage. We'll have a Hewett in his prime of his career and a Parker in the twilight of his career. I know which I'd prefer.

No reason Parker can't play more forward - where he is excellent btw - to make room for the next generation. I can easily see him up on the podium collecting his premiership medal as an active Swans star, just not in the midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back