List Mgmt. 2021 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree there are some that have been disappointing and have been gifted games .
However Setterfield in particular was showing plenty last year .
This year he's plonked on the wing which is not his go so i feel there is shared responsibly here with MC .
Williamson looks lost and Dow should never have been getting as many games as he has been considering his fitness levels .
Imo should have played 2 full years of reserves and only now should he be getting senior games being fitter and hungrier .
So again i think MC should share some blame and a good deal of it .
Obrien imo isnt going to make it but was completely thrown to the wolves early on wasnt ready for the sink or swim mentality the club chose to embark on .
Early doors the gifting games approach was wrong but we didnt have much choice . Its a little different now most of them arent kids anymore and are better prepared if they are to be played in their best suited positions .
I think Setterfield is just unlucky to be in the same side as Cripps imo. He certainly looked good at times last year even though he never really grabbed the bull by the horns. I think his problem is that with his style you really have to dominate to be any good. Not a lot of players in the league running around who are similar to him and not getting huge numbers. Why we tried him on the wing I have absolutely no idea.

Reading that makes me sick the way we've coached him.

Out and out midfielder who doesn't kick sideways capable of drifting forward. So we play him as a pure defender who kicks sideways.

What a ******* disgrace.

Spot on. Look away because we are doing the same thing with Stocker. Drafted as an inside mid with plenty of grunt, played on the the HBF.

People forget we gave him plenty of opportunities in the midfield in his first 3 seasons however he simply couldn’t get his hands on the footy, we sent him back as a last ditch chance to save his career otherwise he would have ended up another Paddy Dow.
SPS was one of Bolton’s favourites because of his game sense and positioning. He would always bring him up before Dow or any of the younger brigade and he was tracking well. As he was building as a mid his form drop coincided with the mounting pressure on the coach. The change to the backline came from Teague after round 17 of that year. It hasn’t worked.
He’s a ground ball player, not a running hbf. His positioning is good most the time but he doesn’t have acceleration like other hbf so he doesn’t hurt you going fwd with his run. But what he can do is draw frees, tackle and be creative in tight spaces. Throw him up fwd Teague please.

Can't be the only one who believes a player isn't a bona fide "bust" until they are officially delisted at season's end?
There's always a chance.

Jones was on the verge of being desisted then moved into defence in the VFL and has made one of the great career turn arounds I can remember

Spot on. Look away because we are doing the same thing with Stocker. Drafted as an inside mid with plenty of grunt, played on the the HBF.

Brett Ratten started his career in the backline, wasn't moved to the middle until he was nearing 25 years old.

I see nothing wrong with Stocker starting there and, whilst I didn't see any of last weeks VFL game, it seems he spent some time there anyway. I only say that because some thought his disposal stat may have been padded by taking some of the kick ins.

Starting him on the HBF doesn't mean he cannot go onto the ball on occasions anyway.

Why not let the coach decide where, and if, he plays?

Yes, yes I know the coach has NFI.

SPS was one of Bolton’s favourites because of his game sense and positioning. He would always bring him up before Dow or any of the younger brigade and he was tracking well. As he was building as a mid his form drop coincided with the mounting pressure on the coach. The change to the backline came from Teague after round 17 of that year. It hasn’t worked.
He’s a ground ball player, not a running hbf. His positioning is good most the time but he doesn’t have acceleration like other hbf so he doesn’t hurt you going fwd with his run. But what he can do is draw frees, tackle and be creative in tight spaces. Throw him up fwd Teague please.

Paddy Dow played 20 games in his first year at Carlton so I'm not so sure SPS was favoured over him?

Dunno but a lot of recent players drafted as a mid haven't set the world on fire.

Reasonable argument that if they can't play HBF they're probably not ready to go into the middle.
Yes and no. HBF you have to have a knack for understanding that the play coming to you rather than reading the play - technically it should be much easier.

Some players just can't do it though, it messes with their instincts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bryce Gibbs was an excellent HBF however through necessity we brought im back into the midfield, if he had have stayed at Carlton prob could have played another 5 years playing of half back but going to the crows ruined him.

Our Kingdom for a young forward like Kysaiah Pickett on our list.

Surely when we’re drafting & trading we’re looking at baseline traits to be a competent AFL footballer.
Disposal
Win their own ball
Clean hands (fumblers need not apply)
Tackling / pressure
Fitness levels
Hunger / intensity

Then when they enter CFC, this is what we’re about & what we expect and the pillars are drummed into each & every one whilst honing skills & improving deficiencies (ideally via the VFL but tailored training as well e.g. skills, tackling).

Unfort we couldn’t really demand of players coming into the club on what we’re at with our standards or conviction of applying them.

Strike first, strike hard, no mercy...or something like that.

Cal Twomey wrote this article a couple of weeks ago about Jacob Edwards, an overage ruck/forward from Sandringham Dragons.

He retweeted the link today saying that Edwards would be the #1 pick in the midseason draft by some way, but also that he is a long term prospect and not an immediate solution for 2021.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/579055/...ospect-stands-tall-as-mid-season-draft-option

Don't think he would last long before North, Hawthorn or Gold Coast snap him up, but on the chance he gets through to wherever our pick is, he would be a great get.

I think we should also target Callum Coleman-Jones from the Tigers in the trade period as a Levi replacement in the firsts.

We definitely need more players with kpp height on our list. Landing Akuei and Uwandu as Category B rookies would be ideal as well.

Cal Twomey wrote this article a couple of weeks ago about Jacob Edwards, an overage ruck/forward from Sandringham Dragons.

He retweeted the link today saying that Edwards would be the #1 pick in the midseason draft by some way, but also that he is a long term prospect and not an immediate solution for 2021.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/579055/...ospect-stands-tall-as-mid-season-draft-option

Don't think he would last long before North, Hawthorn or Gold Coast snap him up, but on the chance he gets through to wherever our pick is, he would be a great get.

I think we should also target Callum Coleman-Jones from the Tigers in the trade period as a Levi replacement in the firsts.

We definitely need more players with kpp height on our list. Landing Akuei and Uwandu as Category B rookies would be ideal as well.

In today's Age too

He is in year 12 this year, my wife teaches him and says he is a great kid, but doing his VCE doubt you would get anything out of him in 2021.

Agree we should target a tall in trade period.

Ballenden and Bailey Williams (WC) as well worth targeting.

Have you highlighted any prospects Jim ?
No, just aware that a lot of teams passed on prospects last year on the back of lack of exposure in TAC/VFL.

There's a good chance to dig into the 15-40 range of the upcoming draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back